Is this possible?

Thread: Is this possible?

Question Is this possible?

I burned some audio CD's for my daughter from my son's Dell computer. I think the CD burner is a Lite-On or a NEC. When I first started burning the CD's for her I was getting all sorts of errors, so I cleaned both the CD burner and the CD-ROM drive. After that I didn't get anymore errors, but my daughter says that there is all kinds of skips and mess ups in some of the CD's that I burned for her. I was wondering about this because I burned some programs onto CD's and I noticed that one of the programs that I burned onto a CD was giving me a problem when I tried to uninstall it. It is missing a .ISU file. Could this be possible that a CD burner can mess up like this and cause some files to be missing from programs that were burned? If it is possible let me know and I will contact Dell support.

I believe that is possible. Maybe what you need to do is slow down the burn. I have had similiar problems. Another possibility is the cd being copied is scratched/dirty and the drive isn't getting a good enough read on it. Just some thoughts. I'll check back later ( probably tomorrow) as I need to fly right now. Those are the first couple of ideas that came to mind though.

GLSmith
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

Garbage in, garbage out - I think programmers say... Your source CD is the most likely source of the problem. I don't think the uninstall problem is related. Sometimes an installer will put the .isu somewhere stupid like the c:\windows\temp folder. If you then run a disk cleanup program which cleans out the folder your uninstall info is gone.

Definately try slowing the burn speed down to about half of what it is capable of especially with music. Check your source cd to make sure it can be read correctly and also check your media. I have seen a lot of crappy media out there and it can cause many a problems.
    The Artisan formerly known as A+Tech.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the answers. I was leaning towards the source CD myself...even though it has no skips and such, I believe that there could be some type of background noise or something similar. I will also consider slowing down the burn speed

Question

As a matter of interest, what software are you using to duplicate the CD?