Women in tech - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Women in tech

Thunderwind mabey they just don't like you?
    I like trafic lights

[quote]Originally posted by Kymera:
    <strong>My female coworkers understand that I expect from them what I expect from myself. Heaven help me if I have to come down on a male coworker. I'm suddenly a "bitch" or "on the rag". You try dealing with that on a daily basis.</strong><hr></blockquote>

And couldn't you say that if a guy was coming down on people you could easily hear some comments like 'Oh, he didn't get any last night' or 'He's bein an a$$hole'?

Don't think I'm disagreeing with you, I agree with you 100% (Well, the 'on the rag' issue to me is a hands-off issue). I've seen it. But also, being a "bitch" or an "*** " is part of the job description of being in charge sometimes. You have to pull attitude. Its not pretty. When I used to be an asst manager, I was called a lot of things, some nice, some not at all. You have to take the punches.

Now, if I were to see a manager giving out warnings etc..., I'd first see if it was called for.
    If someone came in late 5 minutes, but was never late in their 3 year career, and they got slammed on hard, I'd concider that a little harsh, esp if there wer eother people to cover the work.
    But if that same perosn was late every day, 10-15 minutes, then I'd agree with it.

If one of those days, your department isn't doing what they're supposed to be doing, and they say that you're being a bitch. Show them how much of a bitch you can be. Its not a curse, its a talent.

If I could throw that kind of attitude around, I think I'd make twice as much as I am now.
    Live Free or Die

Never forget, never lose those who have been lost.

My Malinois is smarter than your honor roll student!

Banned

[quote]Originally posted by EvilCabbage:
    <strong>Well, I hate working with some women, I love working with others.

The ones that annoy me, are the secretaries of the head honchos, that spend all damn day, poorly constructing 300 Meg word documents (dont think for a second that Im kidding...) and drop it on us to fix and trim down.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Disagree there, I kiss the asses of the secretaries of the big guys. Start puckering up on day one. I have played the game to much to know that they run the life and opinions of the big guys. Kiss there butts, bend over backwards, all that stuff, and if you have a big problem, let them know, and somehow it ussually gets smoothed over.
    But, why do they always have to be so ditzy?

<strong>

Im not sure this is so much 'seeing eye to eye', as you just being plain wrong.

While everyone else seems happy to admit that both sexes can be bloody awful to work with, you just seem adament that men are to be avoided at all cost, and honestly, if i had the misfortune of working with, or under, someone with your outlook, you wouldnt last long at all.</strong><hr></blockquote>
    Typical. Veiled threats and animosity. Fine. You're right. I'm wrong.
    Does that make you feel better?
    end of line.

[quote]Originally posted by firemonkey:
    <strong>Thunderwind mabey they just don't like you?</strong><hr></blockquote>

ROFLOL.....That may be true. Hahahahaha....LOL,
    Steven Henry

<strong>

Umm, so you can be my boss in 2 months. I think I'll pass thanks. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Trust me, I've done the manager thing in the past. Its not for me right now.
    And my experience is shot. I'd probably be lucky if I got a job as a mailroom clerk.
    Live Free or Die

[quote]Originally posted by cleetus:
    <strong>I feel for ya man. My co worker is a female. Hell, my office of 120 has 100 females, my boss is a female, I am suprised I am allowed to pee standing up here.
    I just keep my cool, and document everything that goes wrong now, and all her little screwups. Don't get me wrong either, she could be a really good tech if she wanted to learn. But the fact is, she thinks she knows everything, I don't get called in until everything is really screwed up. So I stay bored most of the day. My people have their stuff done right. And as far as butt whoopins, I tried to tell her straight up how I felt about her "style" it got me a 2 hour lecture from the boss, who is 2 thousand miles away. She freaking called up and cried to the boss, damn, work with me here.
    Oh well, times have changed and Cleetus is no longer in a boys club, must realize women are here and in charge, just play their game, cause I already lost.</strong><hr></blockquote>

DAMN DUDE! Why don't you just shoot yourself in the face and get it over with?

[quote]Originally posted by Draggar:
    <strong>

And couldn't you say that if a guy was coming down on people you could easily hear some comments like 'Oh, he didn't get any last night' or 'He's bein an a$$hole'?

Don't think I'm disagreeing with you, I agree with you 100% (Well, the 'on the rag' issue to me is a hands-off issue). I've seen it. But also, being a "bitch" or an "*** " is part of the job description of being in charge sometimes. You have to pull attitude. Its not pretty. When I used to be an asst manager, I was called a lot of things, some nice, some not at all. You have to take the punches.

Now, if I were to see a manager giving out warnings etc..., I'd first see if it was called for.
    If someone came in late 5 minutes, but was never late in their 3 year career, and they got slammed on hard, I'd concider that a little harsh, esp if there wer eother people to cover the work.
    But if that same perosn was late every day, 10-15 minutes, then I'd agree with it.

If one of those days, your department isn't doing what they're supposed to be doing, and they say that you're being a bitch. Show them how much of a bitch you can be. Its not a curse, its a talent.

If I could throw that kind of attitude around, I think I'd make twice as much as I am now.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It is a fine line. There are times when I deserve it, I came down harder than I should have. It is also hard to prove as feelings are very subjective. It is akin to saying you got pulled over because you were in the wrong neighborhood, or driving a sports car. I've already admitted that I flew off the handle and I'm glad you're letting me live it down a little.
    end of line.

<strong>
    On the flipside, I have worked with 2 female techs, and I think those two girls are the salt of the earth. Very cluey, friendly, great fun, and (low and behold) even good looking.</strong><hr></blockquote>

you're a goddamn lier!

Banned

[quote]Originally posted by opiate:
    <strong>

DAMN DUDE! Why don't you just shoot yourself in the face and get it over with?</strong><hr></blockquote>

And give them the satisfaction, NEVER.
    La Resistance lives on!!!

<strong>
    Typical. Veiled threats and animosity. Fine. You're right. I'm wrong.
    Does that make you feel better?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Jesus H Christ. You just think the whole world is out to get you, dont you?

There are many things I would like to say to people of your ilk, but, as is the habit of your type, you would contort it into an un-invited scathing attack.

Bah. Humbug.
    [email protected]

http://forum.hot4s.com.au - Hot 4's & Performance cars

<strong>As a woman in charge allow me to tell you a couple of things. Hiring guys sucks. Each one of you thinks that you know the only/best way to do something. You keep your egos in your pants, you're messy, unorganized and your work is sloppy. I'm surprised most of you even remember to shower once a day (once a week if your European).</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm organized, I've always been able to fix it...I'm also clean too.

<strong>

Jesus H Christ. You just think the whole world is out to get you, dont you?

There are many things I would like to say to people of your ilk, but, as is the habit of your type, you would contort it into an un-invited scathing attack.

Bah. Humbug.</strong><hr></blockquote>

But EvilCabbage you never answered my question. And just so you know the world IS out to get me. I wouldn't be paranoid if I thought any different.
    I was serious about us still being friends in my othe post.
    end of line.

[quote]Originally posted by opiate:
    <strong>

I'm organized, I've always been able to fix it...I'm also clean too. </strong><hr></blockquote>

I'll have to agree with Kymera, there are a lot of guys out there, if they see a woman in charge of them, they feel they can slack off. then, if she comes down on them for slacking off, they give her the whole 'you're being a bitch' routine.

Someitmes, I'm ashamed to be a guy, esp seeing people like that (and I've worked with them). They do nothing, making everyone else (at this time there were 3 of us, and 2 were the slacking off type, so guess who did all the work?), then give an attitude when the boss trys to talk to them. I hate guys like that.

Basicaly, I look at it this way,
    If you're willing and able to pull your own weight around the workarea, great. If you have a good personality in you, allowing you to get along with your co-workers, great. If you're one of those who like to slack off, then I'd say find a new job. I don't want you working with me.
    Live Free or Die

[quote]Originally posted by Draggar:
    <strong>

Basicaly, I look at it this way,
    If you're willing and able to pull your own weight around the workarea, great. If you have a good personality in you, allowing you to get along with your co-workers, great. If you're one of those who like to slack off, then I'd say find a new job. I don't want you working with me.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, that's the way I feel. XY or XX, if I have to carry your sorry butt, I don't want to work with you. Maybe we can work something out Draggar. I wouldn't mind working for you if you weren't afraid of getting in the trenches.
    end of line.