computer depiction in movies
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: computer depiction in movies

Post computer depiction in movies

Does anyone else get as annoyed as me with the unrealistic way that computers and computer "geeks" are shown in the movies.
    They can't ever show realistic screen shots or even basically simulate the way that things actually work.
    I remember being really annoyed with the movie "hackers" can't remember specifics, but it was like some kind of virtual reality type thing and I remember just thinking "sheesh this is a joke"

In "Office space" when he's backing up his work, he's clearly in a MAC OS, then it shuts down to a C:\ prompt "WHAT???"

Recently I saw the movie Boiler Room, and the one guy seemingly backed up his entire hard drive onto one floppy for the Feds. (those were his instructions, "backup your entire hard drive to floppy disk before you leave" and the machine wasn't an old 286 where that might've worked.)

Am I just too picky, or does this drive other people nuts too.

I bring this up because I am considering checking out "swordfish" but don't know if I can take another completely inaccurate depiction of computers.

Banned

i gues it works but i forgot to tell the font size size to come back down[/i]</u>[b]<font face="Arial" size="30"><fade #C60000>•·.·´¯`·.·• <fade #000000>wankerz [/i]</u>[b]<font face="Arial" size="2"><fade #C60000>•·.·´¯`·.·• <fade #000000>wankerz

yeah, I agree when you really know what they are saying is BS it can kinda wreck the moment and it gets anoying but it can be fun counting the mistakes, like in Backdraft there are over 200 mistakes in firefighting techniches or fire behavure
    I like trafic lights

Banned

i dont think i shoulda did that the ubb flipped out, i better stop i went to post a reply to something that , i was working on and the ubb posted it in somebody elses post... eeeek
    sorry i better just wait before i try annything again like this "test of java code under ubb" sorry this got posted here dude , it was ment to be posted in another topic , the mad scientist theroy is true....

Like they always get the password in 3 tries?

Or they can write a novel without ever hitting the spacebar (it makes a different noise)...

How about the easy commands?
    "Copy Top Secret Attack Plans to my CD even though this is not a CD-RW"

Or how everyone has the same type of drive (sure, its OK with 1.44s, but mini discs, DVD-RAM, CD-Rs, Zip disks...

Oh, yes, and how can we forget wargames?
    The military's main computer has a voice-speaker that sounds just like his home PC?
    (And he didn't get court-marshalled for what hr did?)
    Live Free or Die

Never forget, never lose those who have been lost.

My Malinois is smarter than your honor roll student!

Banned

i truely tried to start a new topic but the ubb flipped out,, im still laughin at where it got placed.... of all places here

Banned

You mean like in Independence Day. He was able to attach to the alien computer system and download a virus. I did that just last night, while my computer always talks back to me, and beeps on every letter displayed.

[quote]Originally posted by cleetus:
    <strong>You mean like in Independence Day. He was able to attach to the alien computer system and download a virus. I did that just last night, while my computer always talks back to me, and beeps on every letter displayed.</strong><hr></blockquote>

And the command MR Goldbloom entered to send it?

DOWNLOAD VIRUS

Sure, like that ever worked? And how did the Alien's computer know to run this program?
    Live Free or Die

[quote]Originally posted by Draggar:
    <strong>

And the command MR Goldbloom entered to send it?

DOWNLOAD VIRUS

Sure, like that ever worked? And how did the Alien's computer know to run this program?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think he was able to do this by exploiting a security hole in Internet Explorer and Outlook (Alien language versions) Doesn't everyone - or should I say every thing run MS?

[quote]Originally posted by kato2274:
    <strong>

I think he was able to do this by exploiting a security hole in Internet Explorer and Outlook (Alien language versions) Doesn't everyone - or should I say every thing run MS?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Mr. Gates has some explaining to do, intergalatic commerce suffers some very heavy tarrifs..
    Live Free or Die

all time favorite, in ID4 when a power book saves the planet, first it plugs into the aliens network, using what topology god only knows but lets say the aleins are using tcp/ip, how does the mac comunicate with the aliens domain or tree or FUBLJFDNDSUSD or what ever they call it. They down load a viruse which attacks what? God knows, and then show a flash image on the aliens screens. I am sorry but it's just dumb.
    Almighty Elbatcho Della Vente, Scurge von AOL, Tyrant von NT, Huhn des Schulegeländes, großartiger hinterer Viceroy Admiral der oberen nordöstlichen südlichen Zustand Widder K-Auto Kategorie des bedwetting Auslesesuperschutzes der Eastwestern Grafschaften, des Spam deathlord des Spam'o'knights, des Spacemonkey und des stolzen Inhabers von 250 mindestens meine kleinen Ponies

There was one movie that came out not too long ago. I can't remember the name, but I'll have to go and figure out what it is. Basically, it was a computer/murder/thriller kind of movie. It was actually pretty good. I thought it was pretty damn realistic, till it came down to the ending scenes.
    It was basically, a parallell of Bill Gates and Microsoft, and had to do with Gates attempt to develop some new software which would dominate the entire world. It would tie all forms of media into one. Pretty cool idea. Well, there were competetive programmers attempting to write the code first, and distribute the program as freeware. Well, all kinds of things happened, and our lonely hero the star programmer, has to fight against the biggest, most powerful company ever, and he has to do it all by himself.

Pretty decent movie, I was impressed with the realizm. :-)

Oh, and as far as Swordfish. I thought it was a really good movie, though a lot of the computer side of the movie was pretty much B.S. The tools the guy had, and some of the hacking he did. Now, I'm not into hacking at all, but I find it hard to believe he did half the things they said he did.

Cool

[quote]Originally posted by Quiet Thunder:
    <strong>There was one movie that came out not too long ago. I can't remember the name, but I'll have to go and figure out what it is. Basically, it was a computer/murder/thriller kind of movie. It was actually pretty good. </strong><hr></blockquote>

That was "Antitrust". Good movie, and about as realistic as things are going to get. Hell, I was pretty impressed with the actual HTML code used for the credits...

I never really thought about it like that before. I guess that I just considered it entertainment and <strong>fiction</strong>, and left it at that.
    Sooouuuushi!