How do some people post all day - don't you have jobs?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How do some people post all day - don't you have jobs?

Post How do some people post all day - don't you have jobs?

I'm not making this post to antagonize or berate anyone - I luv most of ya.

What the hell do some of you do (job wise) that lets you post all day long? Seriously! I am lucky if I have time to post very much per day (I work on a call center) yet some folks rack up 2000 posts per year. What the hell job do you have that lets you post 20 times a day because I want that job!

Again, this is friendly – I really want to know.

Banned

I am one of two techs at a remote site of about 120 people. Since coming here 6 months ago, everything that was backlogged has been cleaned up, and there is only so much that is going to go wrong with only 120 people, not to mention corporate hq won't let me change the image or anything on the server without permission(that just isn't worth getting). I will fix about 4 or 5 things a day, mostly just making people feel better about themselves after doing something stupid. So in the mean time, I sit on my growing backside all day hoping for something to happen and scouring the web.

I have often wondered the same thing myself. I rarely get time to sit at my own computer at work. Maybe once or twice a week I get a half hour to browse the boards. aside from that I have to wait til I get home.
    The Dragon has left the building.

Things are pretty slow right now, and since almost everyone I suport is in the same building, and I am pretty competent, despite what some people here may think, I get the job done quickly and professionally, which then allows me to go back to my desk and fart around...As a matter of fact, you probably wont see me posting tomorrow since I will be going out to San Mateo to unlock some stupid user's NT account...
    "There is always a need for intoxication: China has opium, Islam has hashish, the West has woman."
    André Malraux
    (1901-1976)

"Don't let worry kill you -- let the church help."

mainframe computer operations. I sit in a secluded area surronded by vaxes, line printers, laser printers and the like. There are days when things are nuts (like month end, when we are running jobs to see what stores and salemen have hit quotas) but for the most part, my shift, (7am - 3pm) is pretty slow. I can get my stuff done and still bounce around the forums.

but believe me, you don't want my job! I've come to hate paper - as I see so much of it that I have to break down and seperate. When it's busy, I absolutely hate it. . . it's a madhouse. When it's slow, sometimes I want to bang my head off the wall.

I'm just biding my time til I finish school for the second time (already have a B.S. in education - now going for an Associates in IT networking) and get a better job.

I am working on a huge project, make that 2 huge projects and I post because I am going insane, I can go hours sometimes days with out posting but then I am walking past a PC and blam next thing you know I am off the wagon and doing things to unhappy house wifes to pay for my next hit, it's not an addiction it's a lifestyle and most people think it's an easy way out, I say not, choose anything, I chose windrivers.
    Almighty Elbatcho Della Vente, Scurge von AOL, Tyrant von NT, Huhn des Schulegeländes, großartiger hinterer Viceroy Admiral der oberen nordöstlichen südlichen Zustand Widder K-Auto Kategorie des bedwetting Auslesesuperschutzes der Eastwestern Grafschaften, des Spam deathlord des Spam'o'knights, des Spacemonkey und des stolzen Inhabers von 250 mindestens meine kleinen Ponies

I sit on my @ss for 11 hours a day taking calls, but when I'm not on a call I come on here. Don't come on here often anymore though.. Usually hang out at body buidling forums as of right now.

I work in a call center too. Just keep a browser open to WD and when I find a second when I have nothing to do then I look. I got a set system and pretty much have everything up to date, even current projects! I am just that damn good. That and I never leave my FREAKIN' desk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sofa King Retarded

Registered User Dark Millennium's Avatar

I'm actually in school and this semester has given me a lot of free time. That's why I joined windrivers, even though I had been coming to the site off and on for a few years.

Also a quick quetion to Spaceman Spiff if he reads this, what happened that your signature now reads I worhsip the ground Lycia walks on??
    Good story behind that? Lost a bet? Bowed down to superiority? what?
    The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of you coffee.
    (Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel)

If a program is useful, it will have to be changed.
    (Laws of Computer Programming, III)

Thanx to Adept for the Avatar

Lightbulb

I'm the boss...so I'm not too worried about the boss catching me doing this...
    Spaceman Spiff sets his blaster to frappé...

Heh, I've got a fairly low post count for the length of time ive been a member. I figure if I spent the amount of time that I spend in the chat in the forums, I would be around 3000 by now. Prob be higher if I participated in the blatant post count whoring that sometimes goes on around here.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

The Hitchikers Guide to the Universe - Mostly Harmless - Douglas Adams

why when you buy a box of runts candy they dont put only the banana ones in?? they show off th banana guy off 3 times on the box but I can never get a box with only the banana runts...How rude

oh I work but not very hard

so im here typing away so i dont wounder off into the bordom of hell

I spend a lot of time at home posting, but when I work, I am in a lab supporting about 30 students. They ask an average of 3 questions an hour which means unless something hits the fan, I get a lot of free time to do homework, write, or surf Windrivers.

When I am in class, too, I often surf the forums as a way of staying awake.
    Flash! Don't heckle the supervillain!

My company suffers from "Hurry up and wait". A project is thrown at me and I rush, rush, rush to get it done. When I get to the point in the project where the boss is supposed to be involved, I get to wait. Usually about a good week goes by before the project is back on track. In that time, it's a lot of good Windrivers and surfin.
    A bored admin is a very dangerous person...