Linux help for a newbie

Thread: Linux help for a newbie

Question Linux help for a newbie

Need help in Red Hat Linux. How do you uninstall a program that has been previously installed? I was trying to install a DiVx player on Linux but as I am learning, in Linux you have to install other applications so that another will work. One of those applications is called GLib 1.2.8 or higher. The Red Hat install I have already comes with GLib, but it's version 1.2.5. I installed GLib 1.2.9 but when I ran the ./configure option on the DiVx player file it says that I may need to uninstall the previous version of GLib because it is still being found by the glib-conf file ( or something like that ). Any idea how I would go about uninstalling this GLib 1.2.5? I read that you should go to the source directry and do a make uninstall or something like that... but I don't know where the "source" directory is at. Is there an easier way to do this? Is there a place where you can unapply RPM files? A place that lists what programs you currently have loaded? Let me know if anyone has any ideas.

Also does anyone know of a good Forum or site ( besides tucows ) that has good Linux info? Something for someone who is trying to learn Linux? Thanks in advance!
    "Motivation is not enough. You can motivate an idiot.. But then... all you have... is a motivated idiot."

Check out <a href="http://www.linuxnewbie.org," target="_blank">www.linuxnewbie.org,</a> they have quite a bit of info.

Linux questions are best post at <a href="http://www.XDrivers.com" target="_blank">www.XDrivers.com</a>