Are you being hacked???? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Are you being hacked????

I'm sorry for double posting but i wanted to add something i forgot. I'm not worried about a hacker getting into my system. i figure its a learning experience. but i do worry about a hacker using my system to say hack into another bigger system. so you have appz, and games and whatever else on your system. A real hacker only wants to use your computer so he doesnt leave a trail. As far as them kids, just email saying someone there is hacking you or using their computer to hack into you. them tell em you took their resume just in case. once they know you know who they are, they will crap their pants and leave you alone.
    Those who say dont know, and those who know dont say

I've had more attempts at breaking into a non-critical machine of mine than I can shake a stick at...

At first, I hated when I saw Zone Alarm notices coming up for probes/etc. I turned off the notices and just left logging.

Now, I have a GnatBox that works even better. Can't see a share to save a life...

Kenny P.

To my knowledge, I have never been hacked. I don't open stupid files that have trojans, nor do I do any other ignorant things like leave IIS running, unpatched, 24/7.
    I used to use BlackIce, but while it is a good product, it came time to renew my subscription, which I felt that I need not do.
    I instead spent $50 on a Netgear RT314 router, which has a built in firewall.
    I have ran tests against it, and I feel it is pretty damn secure. DSL Reports shows it as completely ignoring any packet traffic.
    and as an extra precaution, I tunr my systems off when I am away for more than a couple of hours (saves on my power bill...)

Talking

Personally, I could really care less about having my computer hacked. If someone wants to get into my computer and remove a bunch of Window's files, oh darn. Then I'll have to spend the 2 hours reloading the OS. But I'm pretty sure I'll live.
    *The official eating utensil of all WinDrivers members*

Cool

[quote]Originally posted by Kenny P:
    <strong>

Now, I have a GnatBox that works even better. Can't see a share to save a life...

Kenny P.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Kenny P, I was just thinking about running a GNAT box. How is the learning curve? Where do I get the little hardware thingy that it uses as a "product key"?

As far as this post goes: A young male working at Best Buy and hacking on the side... Doesn't sound like the type to even worry about a resume, let alone actually put it in the "My Documents" folder. Do "hackers" run Windows? Besides for games I mean. I agree that it was probably a spoofed IP. Even a "script kiddie wannabe" would do at least as much as you (MAYHEM)and run a firewall such as Zone Alarm or Black Ice,in which case you would not have been able to id them. I would guess they are innocent and would leave those resumes alone. (By the way, in my opinion except for a cool name, Black Ice is a lousy firewall.)

No offence to anyone, just my opinion.
    Sparky Mark
    Life is real, life is earnest- and the grave is not it's goal- dust thou art, to dust returneth- was not spoken of the soul...

I have had attempts at my system. I know that much. I traced a couple of IP's after getting hit numerous times just to see where it was coming from. If anyone has gotten past my firewall then they didnt do anything to the system or I woulda noticed. People can try all they want and I wont be bothered, but if they get in and do damage then it will be time to pull out my own bag of gooodies...pay backs a beeotch.
    I dont feel tardy...

If someone constantly tries to hack me i just send them a healthy dose of malformed packets until their ip stops responding...
    There are no stupid questions! Just stupid (l)users!

hmmmm ok

I sense a little bit of innacuracy here, but correct me if I'm wrong:

if you IP spoof (that is to say, the data packets you transmit have a fake originating ID in them) then how the hell are you going to get data back?

And if the addresses were spoofed, then isn't it a hell of a coincidence that all those addresses were valid and live? - although I suppose it wouldn't be too difficult for a spoofing script to scan for live addresses first.

The MAC address idea isn't too bad except for the part where the hacker swaps his/her network card or modem etc and gets a new MAC address.......

I use two things to prevent agains hacks, Zone Alarm and the on/off switch.

If I'm working offline then I create an airwall.

My response would be to forward the logged IPs to the ISP and let them deal with it. After all, two wrongs don't make a right.
    Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.