You know you've been around computers a while... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: You know you've been around computers a while...

[quote]Originally posted by MacGyver:
    <strong>You've ever owned a 1200 baud modem.</strong><hr></blockquote>

1200? I've got two 300 baud C-64 modems. Slow as molasses now they but were da bomb in their day.

Reg
    #3 1951-2001

If your first extensive programming experience was writing insult-generators in BASIC on your C64 for your brother to run. (My mom wouldn't get me the cassette drive, so I had to handwrite the code since it was lost the minute I turned the system off.)

^Natas^

When you wonder think it was absolutly fantastic to get your 16k exapnsion for your timex sinclair 1000

When your earliest memorys of computers were a university server system that ran in fortran and it cost allmost 1mil to upgrade to 1meg of RAM!

When you look at your computer and wonder how fast you can get get killed in missle command.

When you kids look at you and talk about those big old clunky machines that they learned about in history class and you think to yourself,"Ohh yeah I used to play with those".

When you look at yer pc and wonder wheither or not you can get a 8inch floppy disk drive for it.

You know you've been around computers for a while...

If you had to throw a switch behind your "monitor" to watch TV.

If your OS had manuals as big as an encyclopedia.

If you memorized PEEK and POKE addresses.

If you thought Pong was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

[quote]Originally posted by Captain Packrat:
    <strong>...If you memorized PEEK and POKE addresses...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Whew! Major flashback!!

[quote]Originally posted by Captain Packrat:
    <strong>If you thought Pong was the greatest thing since sliced bread.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Beat me to the punch.
    Pong is Awesome though.LOL
    I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

Talking

You would cut a notch in your new 5 1/4 single sided disks so that you could store information on the back as well.

Red face

My daughter (2 years old)learned the abc watching me play LL1 (L.. Larry version 1)now she has a driver license.
    I connected to BBs At 1200 bps
    my first harddrives where mfm (40 megabytes) and rll
    my first floppys where 360 and 720
    for the IBM oldies : I serviced the 3780, 1060, 2970, system 32, system 34,,,,,etc,etc,etc

OK how's about this.

When you had to type in a 200+ line program on your computer just to load a tape based program, bcause during testing they forgot to test the tape in terface on the computer, so it had a big in it which stopped it from loading anything, unless you wrote this program.

When You thougt a Floppy drive ran at the speed of light beuase you had only ever used tapes.

When You Pull your back taking out Platter on you state of the art 360MB Hard drive because the platers are 2 foot across and stacked 1 foot deep, and the drive was about 2 meters hive and 1 metre square on top.

You had to program DTP pages useing a Mark up language on a grewen screen, and you had to hope your out put was right becaue your only view of the images was on a printer which cast about £5 (£35 Equivelant today) to print a page of a4.

When You thought the Spectrum QL was a Super computer.

When your games used to crash due to a wobble ram pack or joystick interface.

When 1k was more memoery than you can imagine.

When computer had rubber keys so when you spilt your coffe you did not dame your computer.

When You remember Bill gates as gooffy Kid, in a garage.

Gabby

Thumbs up

You know you have been around computers too long when:
    1: You paid something like $800 for a dot matrix printer, which weighed a ton and thought that it was state of the art.
    2: You had computers with no mouse just a trackball(which our Icons did). Didn't have to worry about students taking the mouseball it wouldn't fit inconspicuously in their pockets.
    3: You, (and you have to be Canadian I think) had a whole lab of Icons(Unisys) which you could send out for pizza for the class before wordperfect loaded. I used to load some applications myself an hour before class to speed things up. I think that they had about 5 megs of ram.
    4: You did logo with a turtle on the floor hooked to the computer to demonstrate graphically just how logo worked. I think that we used a programme called Logowriter.
    Just a few....
    SusieQ

jodayo

<strong>You've ever used a keyboard with 84 keys.

You have ever paid more than $200 for 1 meg of RAM.

>>I paid $200 for 16k of ram.

You currently have an ICQ number of 7 digits or less.

>>1345885 Please, no hate msg or spam

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Angry

You know you've been around computers for a while when...

After your supervisor asks you to debug the computer your next move is to detach the vaccum tubes from your mainfraim and begin removing the dead bugs trapped inside!

[quote]Originally posted by mahdi:
    <strong>You know what CGA is
    You had 16 color games thought they were the best (some still are )
    A text adventure with pictures was 'revolutionary'
    You had to flip the take over and wait another 30 minutes to finish loading a program
    Thought modems were 'only used in the movies' and required that big rubber thing
    You stayed away from computers until they got rid of those infernal punch cards </strong><hr></blockquote>

Hell, CGA, EGA, Double sided 5.25 Floppys, DOS 3.3 w/racor (whatever the hell that was) I remember when dos 5.0 came out with one of the first real GUI interfaces... DOSSHELL

<strong>You've ever used a keyboard with 84 keys.

You have ever paid more than $200 for 1 meg of RAM.

Your computer had dual 5 1/4" floppies.

The day you upgraded from a monochrome monitor to a colour one was the happiest day of your life.

Your first hard disk was on an ISA hard disk card.

Your current computer has more storage space in RAM than your first computer did in hard disk space.

You know what a PCjr is.

You've ever owned a 1200 baud modem.

You've ever played the ORIGINAL "Test Drive" game from Accolade. (man that game rocked)

You've played any one of Police Quest 1, Kings Quest 1, or Space Quest 1.

Your first computer didn't have a clock in it and DOS always asked for the time when you booted. Of course, you just press enter twice and settle for 1 minute past midnight on January 1, 1980.

You currently have an ICQ number of 7 digits or less.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Right on man, I had an F'ing pc jr, that thing had a wireless keyboard, and a video out. Still dont see that too much.

You completely described my first computer, untill 93 and win 3.1

Long live dos !

You've been doing this a long time when:

Your modem had an ANS/ORG switch (answer/originate)

There was no screen. It was a teletype machine(Really!)

You remember all the circumstances surrounding your learning that there was such a thing as a home computer - TRS-80!

You bought a disk nipper so you could use BOTH sides of those 5 1/4" floppies (WOW, 360K)

You recall working using DOS 1.0

You chose to use GEM OS rather than that Windows thing from whats-its-name...

MS WORD was DOS based

You saved your programs to audio tape using a cassette recorder

Yep, I been doin' this a while...
    When in doubt, blame the sales department!