Bandwidth test... - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Bandwidth test...

[quote]Originally posted by EvilCabbage:
    <strong>Holy crap.. looking at these results, makes me realise just how much Australian broadband services really, really, really suck..</strong><hr></blockquote>

Once again, I gotta agree with you EC. How the heck are you guy's getting these tremendous line speeds with home internet services? I didn't think ADSL or cable went past 1.5mbps? Are these T1/T3 speeds you guy's are posting? Perhaps SDSL? Perhaps FDDI? What's really going on here? I gots to know!!
    Hello World

Cool

Your raw speed was 1210000 bits per second.
    There are 3 meaningful ways we can interpret this number:
    Communications

1.2 megabits per second
    How communication devices are rated. Kilo means 1,000 and mega means 1,000,000. Examples include 56k modem and 10Mbit Ethernet
    Storage

147.7 kilobytes per second
    The way data is measured on your hard drive and how FTP programs measure transfer speeds. Kilo is 1,024 and mega is 1,048,576.
    1MB file download

6.9 seconds
    The time it would take you to download a 1 megabyte file at this speed.
    DSL Internet speeds in Eastern US

compared to all connection types worldwide yours is fantastic

Well this is what I got, and its pretty close to what bellsouth claims for thier ADSL.
    "More Than Merely Names"
    "NEVER FORGOTTEN"

Yeah Webby, 1.5 is about as high as you can go, without going to frame relay.

Cost on a 1.5 account, is around $200AU per month ($100US), and there are heavy, heavy limits on the data downloads.

Like Ive said before, you people would just friggin DIE down here.

[quote]Originally posted by WebHead:
    <strong>

Once again, I gotta agree with you EC. How the heck are you guy's getting these tremendous line speeds with home internet services? I didn't think ADSL or cable went past 1.5mbps? Are these T1/T3 speeds you guy's are posting? Perhaps SDSL? Perhaps FDDI? What's really going on here? I gots to know!! </strong><hr></blockquote>
    [email protected]

http://forum.hot4s.com.au - Hot 4's & Performance cars

<strong>

Once again, I gotta agree with you EC. How the heck are you guy's getting these tremendous line speeds with home internet services? I didn't think ADSL or cable went past 1.5mbps? Are these T1/T3 speeds you guy's are posting? Perhaps SDSL? Perhaps FDDI? What's really going on here? I gots to know!! </strong><hr></blockquote>

I had the cable company here run Cat 11 cable to my house and directly into my modem. They argued a little but I told them that if they didn't do it I would just keep calling Time Warner about my crappy cable until they fixed it. Since Time Warner here can't cap their cable from the node I'm on(due to a business account) I get amazing bandwidth. I will consistantly DL at 300k per second...I'm not talking theoretical speed here(as in 56k dial up) I/m talking 1sec-300k, 2sec-600k, 3sec-900k, etc.

Uploading on the otherhand is quite a bit slower. Normally in the 50-60kps range.

Cable is good.
    Note: To correct display problems, hold the "ALT"key and press"F4".

Your raw speed was 165205333.33 bits per second.
    Communications

165.2 megabits per second
    How communication devices are rated. Kilo means 1,000 and mega means 1,000,000. Examples include 56k modem and 10Mbit Ethernet
    Storage

19.7 megabytes per second
    The way data is measured on your hard drive and how FTP programs measure transfer speeds. Kilo is 1,024 and mega is 1,048,576.
    1MB file download

0.1 seconds

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've got two 100Mbit connections to the net.
    Use yer back button to run another test and you get pretty good speeds.

[quote]Originally posted by Milenko:
    <strong>LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've got two 100Mbit connections to the net.
    Use yer back button to run another test and you get pretty good speeds.</strong><hr></blockquote>

For a minute there I was thinking OC3!!!

Your raw speed was 1449169.59 bits per second.

1.4 megabits per second

176.9 kilobytes per second

5.8 seconds
    "If there's a better use for the Internet, I haven't found it."
    -Homer Simpson

Tattoo addict

[quote]Originally posted by dir:
    <strong>Just curious to see what everyones bandwidth is like.

Results

Your raw speed was 1394137.83 bits per second.
    Communications

1.4 megabits per second
    Storage

170.2 kilobytes per second
    1MB file download

6 seconds
    Cable Internet speeds in Eastern US

<a href="http://bandwidthplace.com/speedtest" target="_blank">Test it NOW</a></strong><hr></blockquote>

here is mine

[quote]Originally posted by Gameguru:
    <strong>

I had the cable company here run Cat 11 cable to my house and directly into my modem. They argued a little but I told them that if they didn't do it I would just keep calling Time Warner about my crappy cable until they fixed it. Since Time Warner here can't cap their cable from the node I'm on(due to a business account) I get amazing bandwidth. I will consistantly DL at 300k per second...I'm not talking theoretical speed here(as in 56k dial up) I/m talking 1sec-300k, 2sec-600k, 3sec-900k, etc.

Uploading on the otherhand is quite a bit slower. Normally in the 50-60kps range.

Cable is good. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Damn! Cat 11? That must've cost a pretty penny! But well worth it, it appears.
    Hello World

Before @Home was shut down, I had a cap of 6, now my cap is down to 1.5Mb to at home. Also, I was getting browser download speeds over 600k/sec

Registered User Lt. Cmdr. DaTaMan's Avatar

Your raw speed was 416204.23 bits per second.
    Communications

416.2 kilobits per second
    Storage

50.8 kilobytes per second
    1MB file download

20.2 seconds

average

your speed

56k modem

compared to all connection types worldwide yours is great
    The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of my employer, not necessarily mine, and probably not *EDITED BY SOWULO*

<strong>

Damn! Cat 11? That must've cost a pretty penny! But well worth it, it appears. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Didn't cost me one thin dime! All I did was say that because my house is more than 100ft from the node that I would suffer substantial noise interference and too much of a DB drop to pull in the upper range channels on my digital cable. The guy they sent out realized that he was just a mere pawn in my game. I then used my Jedi like powers to tell him "Put in Cat 11 not that crappy cat 6 stuff" and he obeyed.

Actually.....I just complained to Time Warner and they sent someone out to replace it.

Hard to see in the pic but its just under the diameter of a dime! You can see a "standard" cable in the upper right. Big difference.

[quote]Originally posted by Gameguru:
    <strong>

Didn't cost me one thin dime! All I did was say that because my house is more than 100ft from the node that I would suffer substantial noise interference and too much of a DB drop to pull in the upper range channels on my digital cable. The guy they sent out realized that he was just a mere pawn in my game. I then used my Jedi like powers to tell him "Put in Cat 11 not that crappy cat 6 stuff" and he obeyed.

Actually.....I just complained to Time Warner and they sent someone out to replace it.

Hard to see in the pic but its just under the diameter of a dime! You can see a "standard" cable in the upper right. Big difference.
    </strong><hr></blockquote>

Wow! That's pretty cool. I wonder if they do anything like that for DSL. I get drop offs all the time. And I've been calling over and over again to Earthlink trying to get them to send out someone to take a look at the line, but so far no luck. They say I need to call the phone company and have them take care of it (cough cough, bull****, cough cough). Earthlink sucks *** for customer service.
    Hello World

<strong>They say I need to call the phone company and have them take care of it (cough cough, bull****, cough cough). Earthlink sucks *** for customer service.</strong><hr></blockquote>

This is true....Earthlink isn't providing the connection, just the signal that uses the connection. If you have 4 companies that offer DSL to your house and have say Qwest for your phone service, Qwest is providing the connection infrastructure regardless of which of the 4 ISP's you choose. If you suspect the line itself, you need to talk to your phone company.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

Your raw speed was 3297511.64 bits per second.
    Communications

3.3 megabits per second
    Storage

402.5 kilobytes per second
    1MB file download

2.5 seconds

average

your speed +

56k modem

The first time I ran it the numbers were half this speed. The second time I ran it they were twice as fast as the firs time. The numbers above are from the 6th time. Times 3-6 were all roughly the same.

I think these results and the way they change are due to caching servers.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!