Someone mentioned we should have a - Cooking Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Someone mentioned we should have a - Cooking Thread

Post Someone mentioned we should have a - Cooking Thread

I enjoy cooking, but im terrible with recipies. I love spicey food, and anything a little different. I do a kick-a$$ nacho's, and a great rosemary lamb, but being a creature of habit, I dont try new things often.

Anyone got some favourite recipes they feel like sharing?
    [email protected]

http://forum.hot4s.com.au - Hot 4's & Performance cars

how about spotted dick?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Home: Eagle River, Alaska Work: Chukchi Sea Alaska

Cool

In my best Homer Simpson voice- Hmmmmm...Spotted Dick! Actually I do like it and I'm not a big fan of raisins.
    I actually have a little recipe that a chef from Houston Texas gave me years ago. You will need PAM spray, 1 lb. ground chuck, 1 lb. ground sausage, Large Bag of Corn Chips (Resteraunt quality), 1lb. of Monteray Jack Cheese, 1 lb. Sharp Cheddar Cheese, large caserole dish. Preheat oven to 400°F, take a basic casserole dish and coat it with PAM. Line the bottom of the dish with Resteraunt quality corn chips (the round ones are the best).
    Brown one pound of ground chuck and one pound of ground sausage (your choice of hot or mild - I prefer hot). Drain the fat from the sausage and chuck. Place a layer of meat on top of the corn chips, then place a layer of cheese mix on top of the meat. Place another layer of chips on top of the cheese and then repeat with a layer of meat, a layer of cheese and a final layer of chips. On top of the chips place another layer of cheese. Then place in an oven for 15-18 minutes and serve with salsa or Sour Creme. It's called Harris County Nachos.
    I only post using 100% recycled electrons!!!

Stay on the bomb run, boys. I'm going to get them doors open if it hair lips everybody on Bear Creek.

Mushroom Risotto:

Light cream
    Orzo (pasta)
    Mushrooms (whatever you like)
    Butter
    Garlic
    Salt and pepper

Sautee mushrooms in butter. Boil orzo until it is al dente – you can use veggie or chicken broth if you like. Prepare a cream sauce with the cream and butter and some garlic. Mix. Add S&P to taste. Yummy and fattening.

Chicken with Couscous

1box couscous with toasted pine nuts
    Roasted pepper sauce
    Several chicken breasts
    Garlic
    Red wine (something subtle – I like merlot)
    Olive oil
    Butter?
    Red pepper

Cube the chicken and place into a skillet with olive oil and cook on medium/high heat until just done – add the packet of pine nuts and seasoning from the couscous and the garlic and red pepper as well. Remove the chicken and place into a bowl. If cooked on medium high you will have some “stuff” in the bottom of the pan – keep the pan hot and pour the wine in to deglaze the pan. Add the roasted pepper sauce to it and reduce (you may substitute tomato paste but will need some salt). You may add a tiny bit of butter to help thicken and kind of smooth out the flavor. Boil the couscous and add the chicken and the sauce and mix. Very tasty and I made this up myself.

Pork with dill and rice

Pork chops
    Garlic
    Dill
    Salt and pepper
    Olive oil
    White rice
    Soy sauce
    Pickle brine
    Rub chops with dill garlic and S&P. Heat olive oil in a pan and cook the chops in the pan (cook ‘em to death – pork needs lots of cooking). Keep covered as not to burn them. Add a small amount of soy while cooking. Boil rice and drain. Remove chops and cube the meat (you can do this before hand or leave them whole – whatever floats your boat). In the pan you used will be pork fat and other leavings stuck to the pan. Deglaze the pan with soy sauce and pickle brine (I know it sounds nuts but I swear – trust me!!!). Mix rice with the “sauce” and it’s just damn good. As Emeril would say – it’s a pork fat thing. This ones mine to.

Chicken with special stuffing

Whole chicken (I prefer dead and plucked)
    Chicken livers
    Italian bread crumbs
    White bread
    Milk

Cook the chicken livers in a skillet and when done put in a food processor or blender and puree. Mix about 5 slices of bread in a bowl with milk (eyeball the amount) and mix by hand. The results should be runny. Add the pureed livers and Italian bread crumbs until it is a good paste consistency. Stuff the mix – now get this – under the birds breast skin. It can be done, though carefully not to rip the skin. If there is filling left you may put it in the cavity but don’t pack it full. Leaving the cavity empty and the filling over the breast helps to cook things properly and the white meat is succulent and the dark meat is cooked enough. The liver may put you off but you really don’t even notice the texture of it at all and the flavor is AMAZING! I like this with gravy, mashed potatoes and carrots/peas. This is grandmothers.

I ain't a cook, but my wife is the BEST cook on the planet, bar NONE.

I once lit the stove on fire trying to make grilled cheese sandwiches...
    Flash! Don't heckle the supervillain!

[quote]Originally posted by Wayward Clam:
    <strong>I ain't a cook, but my wife is the BEST cook on the planet, bar NONE.

I once lit the stove on fire trying to make grilled cheese sandwiches... </strong><hr></blockquote>

That's the whole adventure man! It wouldn't be fun if it weren't dangerous!

Cool

4 pounds pork spareribs
    1/2 cup honey
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon garlic salt

Directions
    1 Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
    2 Slice the ribs into individual pieces. In a large bowl, combine the honey, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic and brown sugar. Stir until honey and sugar are completely dissolved, then stir in the baking soda. The mixture will begin to foam. Transfer ribs to the bowl, and turn to coat.
    3 Cover a cookie sheet with foil, and arrange the ribs meat side up on the sheet. Pour excess sauce over all, and sprinkle with the garlic salt.
    4 Bake for 1 hour, turning every 20 minutes.

Get out Kraft Macaroni and Cheese...follow instructions on side of box...

yum.
    (_|_) I AM EDITED BY WEBHEAD (_|_)

BBQ chicken
    Chicken
    BBQ sauce or marinade

just bbq it for 45 minutes and your good

Muck n' Chuck
    Mac n' Cheese
    Ground beef

Follow instructions on side of box of Mac n' Cheese (as per previous post)
    Cook ground beef
    Mix together and eat. Yum

Scrambled eggs and toast
    eggs
    cheese
    bread
    butter

Butter pan. Scramble eggs. Cook eggs and add cheese and mix together. Toast the bread. Butter the bread. Throw it on a plate and eat.

TV Dinner
    One box of TV Dinner (brand of your choice, and 2 boxes if you're really hungry.)

Throw in microwave until done. Eat. Yum

Bag of chips for dinner
    One bag of your choice of chips

Open bag. Take out chip(s). Put in mouth and eat.

That's all I got for now. More to come later.
    Hello World

Its a little early in the year to make this, but it keeps for ages, and you can always consider doing a few practise runs. Optimal month is October....

CHRISTMAS CAKE
    How to make a Christmas Cake
    Ingredients:
    nuts
    1 tsp salt
    1 cup of sugar
    1 cup of water
    1 bottle Vodka**
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 cup of brown sugar
    2 teaspoons of lemon juice
    2 cups of dried fruit
    4 large eggs

Sample the vodka to check quality. Take a large bowl, check the vodka again. To be sure it is the highest quality, pour one level cup and drink.
    Repeat.
    Turn on the electric mixer.
    Beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl.
    Add one teaspoon of sugar. Beat again.
    At this point it's best to make sure the vodka is still OK.
    Try another cup .... just in case
    Turn off the mixerer.
    Break 2 leggs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of dried fruit.
    Pick fruit off floor.
    Mix on the turner.
    If the fried druit gets stuck in the beaterers pry it loose with a
    sdrewscriver.
    Sample the vodka to check for tonsisticity. Next, sift two cups of salt. Or something. Who giveshz a damn.
    Check the vodka.
    Now shift the lemon juice and strain your nuts.
    Add one table.
    Add a spoon of sugar, or somefink. Whatever you can find.
    Greash the oven and pee in the fridge.
    Turn the cake tin 360 degrees and try not to fall over.
    Don't forget to beat off the turner.
    Finally, throw the bowl through the window, finish the vodka and kick the cat.
    Fall into bed.
    CHERRY MISTMAS!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I do okay in the kitchen and am always trying new things. Two weeks ago I was playing around and made a rasberry vinegar braised chicken. And it was good.

rasberry vinegar braised chicken
    Get a whole fryer cut up
    season the chicken pieces with salt and peper and Sear the chicken pieces in a large oven safe pot (dutch oven)and remove.

Chop one medium onion and 1 clove of garlic, add to the rendered chicken fat and sautee (may need to add a little oil. onions should be translucent.

put the chicken pieces back in the pot and toss in a bay leaf.

Add 1/4 cup rasberry vinegar and 1/4 cup water. Cover and place in a preheated 375 degree oven for 1-1.5 hours. the chicken will fall right off the bones.

I like to remove the skin, and pull the meat from the bones with a fork, thicken the pan drippings with a little corn starch or flour slurry then serve over noodles. TASTY!

southwestern rub for meat
    1 part onion powder
    1 part garlic powder
    1 part kosher salt
    1 part course black pepper
    1 part chilli powder
    1 part groud cumin
    1 part ground cayenne pepper (optional)
    1 part brown sugar
    2 parts paprika (sweet or hot depending on your taste, but don't use the cheap sh*t I usually go sweet since I have cayenne and chili powder already in)

mix all ingrediants well, and rub liberally on meat before cooking. I prefer to rub on ribs, then I place the ribs directly on the rack with a drip pan underneath set the oven for 170 and forget about them for AT LEAST 8 hours. 12 hours seems to be the best, but 8 works ok too. these will fall straight off the bone. sauce them during the last 1/2 - 1 hour of cooking.

I was a chef before I joined the USAF so I consider myself to be a good cook. I probably do 75% of the cooking around the house, mostly because I enjoy it. My wife's cooking skills, on the other hand, have improved over the years. When I first married her, I think she could have burnt water.
    Note: To correct display problems, hold the "ALT"key and press"F4".

[quote]Originally posted by NooNoo:
    <strong>how about spotted dick?</strong><hr></blockquote>

hey thats my email address

on my site I have quite a few recipes and many more to add....I love cooking and everyone loves eating the food I cook so I must be doing ok........

<a href="http://www.users.bigpond.com/quantumleaptech" target="_blank">My site.....yet again</a>
    My Photography = Images of Hervey Bay photography by Maggie Macleod

my facebook to chat and interact and learn about ME
    http://www.facebook.com/mayet666

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mayet:
    <strong>
    ....I love cooking and everyone loves eating the food I cook so I must be doing ok........
    </strong>

When should I come over for a meal?.. I'll be good, promise.
    [email protected]

http://forum.hot4s.com.au - Hot 4's & Performance cars

I love to cook, I just love to cook for friends, I am looking rihgt now for a way to make my own spagati (<- spelled wrong) I have a great way to cook the meat, mushroom, olives, and garlic, I am curretnly use the store bought jar, then add more flavoring to itbut I want better, something I can call my own, any ideas?
    I like trafic lights