Getting hacked! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Getting hacked!

Originally posted by Sowulo:
    Hmmmm...let's see, your logged IP is.....
    And what could be done with it?
    It's good to be the King.

I have had black ice and some other firewall program, but I dont have either installed, guess i should get cracking incase they hack my prOn pics hehe
    Some people say i am indecisive, but i dont think i am, but sometimes i do.

Elbatcho

Talking

Becareful with black ICE, When I am on call I use a dialup net work and citrix and Blackice just about had a fit last night when I was dialing in. It wouldn't let me get a connection and would cut my connection when the secure server tried to communicate with me. So I uninstalled it and all was well. Nice product, bad for me.

Originally posted by Grover:
    for openers...find out who you really are, where you live, what ISP you use, possibly your SSN, etc.
    btw. most "hackers" are still on dialup so simply being on a modem as opposed to cable or DSL makes 0 difference. also, if you are on the internet...you have networking installed whether you know it or not. what damage could a hacker do from a home machine? well if your like me you access corporate resources from your home machine...that means using passwords to access secure data...what about home banking? or turbo tax? or online shopping, or......
    ""in certain cases...one remains a philosopher only by being silent." -Friedrich Neitzsche "

I use zonealarm pro 2.6 , works great for me .. i havent had many problems .. here and there i get into a jam .. but just a small config .. which as far as im concerned configing a firewall is like songs you have many differnt ways for different things ..
    Life is like a bowl of rotten cherries that molden over

i like BlackIce. Once the same damn IP kept popping up. So, instead of tracing the little punk (becuase I'm lazy) I Ping flooded the bastard to hell till my packets didn't reply. Booted him off the internet (or he restarted because of the lag!). Havene't seen that IP again (he must have been on dail-up, cause I was on T3 and it would not have worked with anything else.)

I think that's what happend. LOL!
    Donegal Sixth Brigade
    Scrappin' clanners off the bottom of our mech's feet.

Not to mention the hassle of it all. Home users are hit as a practice target by script kiddies who think it's a hoot to take out a system. I've been hacked once succesfully about 3 years ago and was running a program that watched for back orifice attempts. This bozo just cuz he could started out by deleting all windows system files and you could tell that he was out to be malicious. He didn't want data he wanted destruction.

Originally posted by Dharma Lion:
    Originally posted by Grover:
    for openers...find out who you really are, where you live, what ISP you use, possibly your SSN, etc.
    btw. most "hackers" are still on dialup so simply being on a modem as opposed to cable or DSL makes 0 difference. also, if you are on the internet...you have networking installed whether you know it or not. what damage could a hacker do from a home machine? well if your like me you access corporate resources from your home machine...that means using passwords to access secure data...what about home banking? or turbo tax? or online shopping, or......
    DOH! (homer)
    Well you'd better get a fire wall now HUH?
    I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

mogul218

Are Black Ice and Zone Alarm freeware programs?

Elbatcho

Originally posted by Mogul:
    Are Black Ice and Zone Alarm freeware programs?

No they are share ware with a thirty day limit.

CobraTekMax

Isn't Black Ice freeware if you're only using it on one machine for personal use?

Most of what people see are script kiddies who use pre-fab toolz and have minimal if any real skillz. I see people attempting to scan my FTP server all the time.
    Yep. Just after I had started a new job, I discovered that the web server suddenly had 32 KB free space on the HD (I wondered why performance was lagging a bit). Turns out we were suddenly file storage for some script kiddie who found our unprotected FTP port. It was actually kind of a blessing though - anything that helps convinve the boss that security is a GOOD thing that he needs to shell out for is good for me! As long as I can fix it quickly, anyway.
    a LARTing we will go
    a LARTing we will go
    hi-ho the derrio
    a LARTing we will go

Originally posted by Elbatcho:

No they are share ware with a thirty day limit.
    Zone Alarm is free for personal use.