Is your PC too powerful?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is your PC too powerful?

Arrow Is your PC too powerful?

I was sitting behind my PC last night reading some posts on windrivers. I noticed lots of folk put there PC specs in their sig, then I thought I just may also.

I just purchased an Alienware.com PC. A good one in fact. I was about to add it to my sig and thought, "Holy Crap, this is really fast".

Have you ever felt like a very little person sitting behind the wheel of a really big truck? That is what I felt like when I really thought about it. What the hell do I need all this power for?!?!? I'm not NASA! Hahaha. All I do is play games every now and then, I do bills, & that's about it. I would run seti@home, or folding@home, but my PC is not always connected to the net.

Anyway, you ever feel that way?
    Steven Henry

Well seeing how it's to much for you......

Wanna trade?
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

BLASPHEMY!!!

I must have the biggest, fastest, coolest PC in a 50 mile radius, or else I'll suck and everyone will hate me.

Amen to that.. I am the only modder around my neighbor hood so at least my computer looks like it can kick some *** . The inside its only 1Ghz, but OCed and overcooled helps some.

Banned

Beleive me, if you saw either of my pc's you would feel much better. One is a p2 350, and the other is a celeron 400. Damn woman takes all my money so I can't get buy the parts to make a better pc. Hopefully this summer I will have some money saved up.

Most certainly not. My PC is very middle of the road. It is not what you have but what you can do with it that matters. (That didn't sound to good did it?)
    Sooouuuushi!

I've only got a P2/233, but when I bought it, it was top of the line. Now its bottom of the barrel. Actually, for me it does everything that I need it to, and it's stable and reliable, so why mess with a good thing? Although I have been considering purchasing an upgrade package to a P4 with my impending tax refund.....

I can't understand people who have a 1GHz machine and aren't satisfied. If you don't want your "hunk o junk" then I'll take it!

Actually I remember a beer commercial where one guy is explaining to his friend how powerful his computer was (insane specs at that time) and then the friend asks "so whatcha gonna do with it" and the other guy replies "I dunno, surf the web, chat with chicks"

my pc is also middle of the road, but i have it in a handbrushed aluminum case, so it LOOKS more impresive

Actually I have been thinking about upgrading once I get my Statford Loan for school...

My machine is an Athlon 550, and it was top of the line when I bought it... I saved all kinds of money because I worked at the store and half of it is a Frankenputer of weird used parts that I collected.

I didn't need the power then, but it felt good to have something better than my old obnoxious roomie's K-6-II 400 system. In your FACE, dude!

But the fact of the matter is, it has LASTED. It is still plenty for me today, even if starting up Civ III or my son's Harry Potter game takes a couple of minutes... I am thinking about upgrading but probably won't get around to it until OSAP comes in this September.
    Flash! Don't heckle the supervillain!

Dont get me wrong, I love dat dare box. Looks cool too (Alienware box, dragon case, blue). Just blows my mind!

Wish my work PC was as fast!
    Steven Henry

Cool

My specs are one machine has a thunderbird 1.2, with 768 ram, with a geforce2 64meg card. no problems running anything yet. other machines are a dual pentium pro with 512 ram, and a pentium 200 with 168 ram. whats funny is that the small machine is my novell sever for the house. So you tell me if i have to much power.
    Captain CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVEMAN

[quote]Originally posted by MacGyver:
    <strong>Actually I remember a beer commercial where one guy is explaining to his friend how powerful his computer was (insane specs at that time) and then the friend asks "so whatcha gonna do with it" and the other guy replies "I dunno, surf the web, chat with chicks" </strong><hr></blockquote>

I remember a "Friends" episode where Chandler gets a laptop. My wife couldn't figure out why I was laughing. The laptop had a sub-100Mhz Pentium, 16MB RAM, and sub-1GB harddrive. I saw this towards the end of last year. When asked what he planned to do with his "super fast" computer, he stated, "Play games and stuff."

I got my computer I have now in fall '98. It's PII 300mhz, 92MB RAM, 4GB & 5GB harddrive, cd-rom, and cd-rw. After we find a house and move, I'll be looking to get or built a new computer.
    "I have plenty of talent and vision. I just don't give a damn."

Potential Bumper Sticker: "Wiggle your mouse, it's just a screensaver."

Yea, I kinda feel like that too but then I remember I kick @$$ and I must. Plus, I'm one of the only BIG modders in my area so it's a must
    The Artisan formerly known as A+Tech.

I feel cheated! I only have a Duron 800 w/ 640MB RAM at home. Anyone got a spare 40GB they are willing to ship me??