Help! How do you tell someone who thinks he knows about computers that he doesnt?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Help! How do you tell someone who thinks he knows about computers that he doesnt?

Post Help! How do you tell someone who thinks he knows about computers that he doesnt?

I have this friend (well sorta) and he thinks he knows about computers and that he knows how to build one and make programs for him. He doesn't, at all. His only computer he ever tried to build blew up the CPU and mobo becuase he somehow put a K6-2 In a P3 motherboard! He still thinks that Voodoo is better than Nvidia.
    The problem is I have to lead/ teach a computer club for High School boys. He is my "assistant". But he is like taking over and teaching all this retarded stuff. Like last week he just randomly decided that this week we were gonna play Descent 3.... There is about 18 boys in this computer club and about 7 of them think that they already know how to build a computer. I believe 4 of them. They are probably smarter than my assistant. But now he thinks he is gonna teach VB, HTML, C++, and photoshop. He knows no VB (I do tho, lots of it), he really believes that his HTML skills are good, but they suck. I wish I could show you a sample. And C++..... He went to a weeklong computer camp where they supposedly taught him C++ but he really knows about the first chapter of "Learn C++". Heck, he doesn't even own C++, VB, or C++. (I do though) Mwahaha! I need help thinking of a way to kinda ditch him, and take over cuase if I don't it is gonna be sad.

The worst part is his mom is in charge of the club over all, but she doesn't help teach it.
    If you say the P3 is faster than the Athlon then I automatically know that you know nothing about computers or are on *ntel's payroll.

Ask him the following questions:

1) "what is the socket type for a Pentium 3?" (Socket 370)
    2) "How much cache does an Athlon T-Bird have?" (256K)
    3) "What is the difference between a Winmodem and a regular modem?" (winmodems have no controllers, regular modems do)
    4) "How many pins do Pentium 2 chips have?" (trick question: none, they are all slot CPUs)
    5) "In Visual Basic, what is Dim short for?" (Dimension)
    6) "When you multiply the FSB and multiplier of a computer, what is the result?" (The clock speed)
    7) "What are computer cases made out of?" (metal, someone ACTUALLY said Plastic!)
    8) "Windows XP Pro is a __-bit operating system" (32 bit)

Once he gets those simple questions wrong, I think he'll understand who's boss

Home: Eagle River, Alaska Work: Chukchi Sea Alaska

Cool

Ah man 7 out of 8! JungleMan are you sure computer cases are metal? I could have sworn they are a composite of plastics and since hard drives don't spin the inside of the case has to spin! And if the inside of the case spins and they are metal then that would produce sparks ergo heat and friction and would make the motherboard and processor hot! Aha I figured it out! AMD uses metal cases that spin that is why T-Birds run the temperature they do! Intel only uses plastic cases that is why their processors run cooler! Well since I figured that out can I get a job as YoungGeek's aide? I can promise my mom will not want to run the club!
    I only post using 100% recycled electrons!!!

Stay on the bomb run, boys. I'm going to get them doors open if it hair lips everybody on Bear Creek.

Highschool and a boy with a huge ego. Such a rare occasion. If you give him the quiz in front of everyone you risk him showing how little he knows in front of people which would most likely cause him to get really pissed off and do something stupid. You need to give him the quiz in private or do something in private, it will save face for him and he won't feel the need to stand up in front of his friends.
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)

Smile

Haha, I think I'll have to ask him some of those questions. Even better! I'll make it the examination test for the "experienced group". Like if you get 6 out of 8. TY
    If you say the P3 is faster than the Athlon then I automatically know that you know nothing about computers or are on *ntel's payroll.

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/gojovial/" target="_blank">http://www.geocities.com/gojovial/</a> Here is a sample of his amazing HTML work. It ceases to amaze me.

Another one <a href="http://myspace.computercamp.com/MySpace.ComputerCamp.com/mrpresident/a.html" target="_blank">http://myspace.computercamp.com/MySpace.ComputerCamp.com/mrpresident/a.html</a>

If you have the club check out those web pages, especially the second one with the horrible spelling and near-unreadable fonts, they should get a pretty good idea of what's going on.
    Anyone who sees the "BIO" page and the phrase "home schooler" will laugh in his face.
    If "Mommy" breaks up the group because her little precious isn't the most important member, you might be able to regroup without him at a different facility.
    A person like that isn't unproductive, they're counter-productive.
    Jungleman's quiz sounds like a pretty good idea and I believe it should be in front of the group.
    Just get it over with, people will follow the one that doesn't teach them useless garbage (the first few crashes and clouds of smoke should give them a clue).
    When all else fails.....FDISK!

Talking

Hi,

First of all, where is your club advisor?? Granted, he/she might not know as much as you, but you should be able to go to them for support. Stand up for yourself when you go to meet with them. Explain the problem, give examples. If they do not back you up, go to your Principal (or who ever is in charge of the clubs) and re-explain and be prepared to say "sorry, I won't allow misinformation to be distributed when I could ultimately be held responsible." Do Not be shy about this!

If they go along with your 'friend', start a new club. All will sort itself out then

I certainly know how you feel! My 15 year old knows more than most of his teachers, but still thinks he knows more than I do.

Take Care,

Sue

i agree, even though it will show him up, it will take him down a peg or too, ive had to something simular, but life gos on.
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.

i agree, even though it will show him up, it will take him down a peg or too, ive had to something simular, but life gos on.
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.

Just noting the member names, I must say that I AM NOT YoungGeek's mom !! Have enough of my own 'Geeks' to deal with

Sue

Technically Pentium 2 CPU's do have pins. The contacts on the edge connector are called Pins hence the Pin b21 trick, that overclockers used on certain Slot CPU's to enable higher speeds
    w00t

Cool

You say he is your "assistant", it may be time to pull rank on him. Try talking to him, tell him not to get too far ahead thinking about VB programming if the club is purely hardware based for example.

Get him to write down everything he wants to do, and what you think should be done and compare notes. Take these to the Head/Manager of the club and explain what is happening and why. Show each list to them as backup. If there is still no joy, more involved tactics has to be used.

The one thing is not to get mad and blow your top - OK they may be useless, however "office politics" come into play (which is a skill in itself). Ask him to cover one session and make notes from the back - tell him it's a teaching lesson or something - But DON'T get involved in the class, He is in charge. After the smoke clears (sorry, no pun intended), sit him down and go through your notes and work from there, explain what was good/bad and why. Say things like, Oh, that bit was good but there was no background such as...... It may dawn on him that he is not as clever as he thinks he is.

If all else fails, try "professional" help,
    Good day to be alive, sir
    Good day to be alive he says, yeah

I agree with JungleMan here.
    Ask him questions all the time. Questions you already know their answers. Don't let him even breathe without answering first. I'm sure he'll figure it out sooner or later who's the wannabe here.
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

[quote]Originally posted by JWW:
    <strong>Technically Pentium 2 CPU's do have pins. The contacts on the edge connector are called Pins hence the Pin b21 trick, that overclockers used on certain Slot CPU's to enable higher speeds </strong><hr></blockquote>

I knew they had contacts, but I called em contacts, not pins.

JWW has a good idea though... if I missed that question (sort of), then this other guy ought to miss it instantly.