[RESOLVED] What are some good things to teach at a begginer computer hardware class?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] What are some good things to teach at a begginer computer hardware class?

YoungGeek

Post What are some good things to teach at a begginer computer hardware class?

I have complete control of the group now! I got to think of an idea for a class. Its gotta last for an hour. Please give me ideas!
    I also have to teach a more "experienced" group of 5 people who all think they know everything. Got any ideas of stuff to teach that no one would know but would be usefull?

[This message has been edited by YoungGeek (edited September 12, 2001).]

How about simple booting to DOS and some basic DOS commands for file management....
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

I don't know their knowledge level, but you can always let them ask you questions about things they don't understand.

(I hope I didn't replied too late )
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

teaching how the windows file system works is always good,..... I've always used an analogy that the windows sytem is like a filing cabinet,.. people seem to relate to that fairly easily.

Talking

PLEASE teach them the difference between memory and hard drive space. I flip when [l]users tell me they are running out of memory when actually they mean storage space.
    http://200.201.133.13/acendabr/desenhos/g/irbaboon.jpg
    Weasel not want admin have own planet and be in charge.
    Why NOT sometimes I.R. have planet somewhere?!

You can disassemble and reassemble a computer...tell them what each part does, etc. if you don't have time to reassemble it, just disassemble it and reassemble the next day. The 1st day is like learning about parts, the 2nd day is learning about putting them together

Rant on for an hour about how Intel sucks..j/k

This is assuming that they know how to use computers. Go over every part in the computer so they at least know the name, go over BIOS, master/slave on IDE/UDMA, Safe mode in Windows, installing Windows, setting up a simple network without using a setup disk (setting ip and protocol manually), normal system maintainance (Defrag, scandisk), and boot error beeps. That should be a good starter. After that build a computer with them watching, then let them build their own. Clunker Pentiums and 486s are very good for this.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

The Hitchikers Guide to the Universe - Mostly Harmless - Douglas Adams

MrMatu

I had to teach a four hour class once and I freaked trying to think about how can I fill so much time on a basic course. You'll be surprised how much information you will know. I'm sure you'll run out of time. Just tearing apart a computer and doing basic dos and windows commands will fill your time.

What I did for 3 hours was explain the basic DOS commands, and then booted to WIndows and show how the GUI does the same thing that DOS does.

No problem....take your time

------------------
    Zeph 3:17

1st2third

Teach them how to over clock a processor, get the most out of it. Install RAM, a hard drive, CD-ROM, and what to look, smell, for when something isnt working. they might find this information useful, the idea of having everyone putting together there own PC is great but I don't know if your supply of 486 machines is that great, unfortunately mine is, I just don't know what to do with them, but for right now there keeping my refrigerators box full very nicely.

Cool

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by 1st2third:
    Teach them how to over clock a processor, get the most out of it. </font>
    OH WONDERFUL advice, if you were teaching a basic car mechanics class would you start with tuning an engine ???

This is a starter course, therefore start with the basics. What a PC is, the parts that make it up (outside - Monitor, keyboard, etc), then a quick tour inside (CPU, RAM, Drives....) Do the same with DOS and Windows.

Go onto doing some basic installation and troubleshooting (install a NIC, and connect to the network.)

Build up the class from there.

------------------
    At the end of the day, it's all fundamental.....

FUBAR

Take them all outside. Have each one dig a hole. Ask them to point to their ***. Send those that get it right back in for the class and the others can fill in the holes.

Start the class with the parts of the PC. Tell them what they will hear it called by customers. Then start with the basics of troubleshooting e.g. Works better if plugged in, MUCH better if plugged in and turned on! I think you get the picture.

------------------
    Illegitimi Non Carborundum...

tempdir

have a pc dissamblembled on a table beffore class and let them get a good look at it. Start class by going around the room and have each student identy a part of the pc. don't bother putting it together til after class

maybe that will spark questions ons on how others identified the parts.

twelve

I would suggest that you make a drawing of how data flows through a system to demonstrate visually how the RAM, system bus, processor, output devices, and input devices all work together. Then have a system torn down that you can reference.

Two words:

Anger Management

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by AlienDyne:
    I don't know their knowledge level, but you can always let them ask you questions about things they don't understand.

(I hope I didn't replied too late )
    </font>
    Just tell them that no matter how much they "think" they know, they do not know everything.

------------------
    "Man, you go through life, you try to be nice to people, you struggle against the urge to punch ‘em in the face, and for what?! For some pimply little puke to treat you like dirt unless you're on a team. Well I'm better than dirt ... well most kinds of dirt. I mean, not that fancy, store-bought dirt. That stuff’s loaded with nutrients. I …I can't compete with that stuff."
    -Moe Szyslak