How do you feel about this?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do you feel about this?

Cool How do you feel about this?

uh...do you think there is the possibility of abuse of power here?
    personally i don't want some Fed snoopin' in my stuff...and no, i have nuthin to hide...that's not the point.

The Magic Lantern technology, part of a broad FBI project called "Cyber Knight," would allow investigators to secretly install over the Internet powerful eavesdropping software that records every keystroke on a person's computer, according to people familiar with the effort.

The software is somewhat similar to so-called trojan software already used illegally by some hackers and corporate spies. The FBI envisions one day using Magic Lantern to record the secret unlocking key a person might use to scramble messages or computer files with encryption software.

so, what do you think of this?

I think the FBI should do proper investigations and arrest people instead of creating some stupid spyware to do it. This has "invasion of privacy" and "supreme court" written all over it.

But if will get the job done then I'm all for it.

[quote]But if will get the job done then I'm all for it. <hr></blockquote>

so how many rights are you willing to give up?
    personally i think the government has taken too many already...enough is enough.

[quote]Originally posted by geeksRus:
    <strong>

so how many rights are you willing to give up?
    personally i think the government has taken too many already...enough is enough.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Examples???

ArsTechnica links to <a href="http://www.msnbc.com/news/660096.asp?cp1=1" target="_blank">MSNBC</a> for a report on "Magic Lantern".
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Cool

[quote]Examples???
    <hr></blockquote>

here's just a small sample:
    <a href="http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=25443" target="_blank">Government Land Grabs</a>

[quote]Originally posted by geeksRus:
    <strong>

here's just a small sample:
    <a href="http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=25443" target="_blank">Government Land Grabs</a></strong><hr></blockquote>

please, that's nothing.

First of all the FBI certainly doesn't have the resources to monitor every freaking key stroke at every computer. My question to people that are nervous about being monitored is Exactly what are you doing that you don't want people to know about? If the govt wants to read my posts on Windrivers or watch me looking at p0rn they can go right ahead, everything on the 'Net is logged anyways.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin

Registered User Morticia Addams's Avatar

Let them follow my keystrokes. Let them read my mail. Let them see what sites im visiting. I dont have a problem with any of it. Internet monitoring by the government doesnt bother me. And I would have said that before Sept 11th.
    Everything comes with a price. And if extra security means more money or more invasions that really dont effect me at all like Internet monitoring. I say BRING IT ON.

Cool

"Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    --Ben Franklin

[quote]Originally posted by iamtheman:
    <strong>First of all the FBI certainly doesn't have the resources to monitor every freaking key stroke at every computer. My question to people that are nervous about being monitored is Exactly what are you doing that you don't want people to know about? If the govt wants to read my posts on Windrivers or watch me looking at p0rn they can go right ahead, everything on the 'Net is logged anyways.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You are incorrect - a keystroke logger is a very simple tool that creates very small files. Not that I would know anything about it...

As for the moral ramifications - I really don't think that this should be something that can be employed without the approval of a judge much like wiretaps and the like alreay are.

Anyway, I wonder - what's the point? If it's a trojan - a good virus scanner might pick it up and report it or someone will just create a scanner for it.

To clarify something I'm well aware of what a keystroke logger is. Even if the logs were filtered for "keywords" it still takes a tremendous amount of time to go through the filtered data. Keystrokes mean nothing anyway, on my networks all your data streams belong to me.

This isn't really new either when you are being watched or spied on, whatever you want to call it, you are going to have to be very very good to get away with things using technology.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin

[quote]Originally posted by MorticiaAdams:
    <strong>Let them follow my keystrokes. Let them read my mail. Let them see what sites im visiting. I dont have a problem with any of it. Internet monitoring by the government doesnt bother me. And I would have said that before Sept 11th.
    Everything comes with a price. And if extra security means more money or more invasions that really dont effect me at all like Internet monitoring. I say BRING IT ON.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Good call. But I thought that the Internet was created so the Gov'nt could spy on all of us!!
    Sooouuuushi!

Mr. Horse says "No sir, I don't it."