[RESOLVED] In response to Tom's Hardware video... a question?

Thread: [RESOLVED] In response to Tom's Hardware video... a question?

godofuq

Resolved [RESOLVED] In response to Tom's Hardware video... a question?

Okay, to begin, I'm one that's all for trying everything possible especially when it comes to computers. Please.... I beg of you please.... follow me with good intentions and the most open mind possible. Over the past few days I have been watching the Tom's hardware video concerning the different processors and how they react to the heatsink being taken off over and over again and I've been wanting to find a relatively easy and cheap solution as I'm an avid AMD fan. The thought finally sparked in my mind... what if I ran one of the Mobo SW wires to be connected sitting between my Proc and my HSF... I know I think I just lost some of you guys but stick with me. The power switch is run with two wires. Current is always(while there is electricity running to the computer) running through one of the wires and to the motherboard. When the switch is hit, the cycle is completed, current is run to the other wire and to the motherboard thus completing a circuit... thus the motherboard has electricity and the computer boots. When you hit the switch again, current is stopped at the switch, there is no longer a circuit between the switch and the motherboard and the computer shuts off. Now, here's what I wonder:

If you were to cut one of the SW wires and strip the very ends, run each end of the exposed wire, touching themselves, under the HSF and on top of the processor you would complete the circuit when you hit the switch. Now if you were to hit the switch again, it would stop the circuit and the computer would shut off like normal. But, what if the HSF fell off? Then it would also cut the circuit, thus shutting the computer off... or so I theorize. I know there may be come complications (or not) to running a conductive material to the top of the processor. Who has some input? Maybe I'll have to dust off an old celly and test this out. I need some feedback before I start blowing up processors

------------------
    I feel like a little worm on a big f*****g hook.

-Aplustech

FastAndFurious

Question

Thats a very interesting theory, I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work to an extent, but I just wouldn't fell comfortable using my $150+or- processor as a conductor. Its a nice idea, but not too practical.

godofuq

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by FastAndFurious:
    Thats a very interesting theory, I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work to an extent, but I just wouldn't fell comfortable using my $150+or- processor as a conductor. Its a nice idea, but not too practical. </font>
    Someone's always gotta step in with the practicalities. I could have just wished for later than sooner I just, for some reason, have to believe since it isn't a strong current that everything will be okay. Who's the next to shoot down my idea.

------------------

-Aplustech

FastAndFurious

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by godofuq:
    Someone's always gotta step in with the practicalities. I could have just wished for later than sooner I just, for some reason, have to believe since it isn't a strong current that everything will be okay. Who's the next to shoot down my idea.

</font>
    I'm not saying it wouldn't be okay, I just wouldn't feel comfortable with that. What if the heat sink falls off and the thermal paste acted as a glue and held the wire ends on the processor keeping the current alive, even if only for a sec., you saw the video, it didn't even take that long for the s.o.b. to burn up.

------------------
    Your Father was a hampster, and your Mother smelt of Eltaberry!

godofuq

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by FastAndFurious:
    I'm not saying it wouldn't be okay, I just wouldn't feel comfortable with that. What if the heat sink falls off and the thermal paste acted as a glue and held the wire ends on the processor keeping the current alive, even if only for a sec., you saw the video, it didn't even take that long for the s.o.b. to burn up.

</font>
    That's a pretty far stretch but even so, if I don't attempt to do SOMETHING and my HSF falls off I'm screwed anyhow... moreso than if I TRIED to do something.

------------------

-Aplustech

FastAndFurious

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by godofuq:
    That's a pretty far stretch but even so, if I don't attempt to do SOMETHING and my HSF falls off I'm screwed anyhow... moreso than if I TRIED to do something.

</font>
    I know it was far fetched, but so is running a open wire over your cpu A safe solution might be to buy P4 HeHeHe J/K What if you do something as simple as tying a couple strings around the heat sink and the cpu in a cross pattern...

------------------

FastAndFurious

in response to my own reply, the string would probley melt. Duh!

------------------

godofuq

If I wanted a p4 I'd have one it's just that I pay too much for too little. So I don't have to run the current directly to the processor. Each AMD chip has 4 little material "feet" that I could put the exposed wire on instead of the actual chip.

------------------

-Aplustech

FastAndFurious

Thats not that bad of an idea, i didn't think about the feet The only way you are going to find out is to try it on our own cpu w/the feet.

------------------

The power switch is run with two wires. Current is always(while there is electricity running to the computer) running through one of the wires and to the motherboard. When the switch is hit, the cycle is completed, current is run to the other wire and to the motherboard thus completing a circuit... thus the motherboard has electricity and the computer boots. When you hit the switch again, current is stopped at the switch, there is no longer a circuit between the switch and the motherboard and the computer shuts off. Now, here's what I wonder:

</font>
    Well first of all, that's NOT how an ATX power switch works. An ATX power switch is a momentary switch. If you leave the power running through the switch, it will just turn on and off rapidly (bad thing). Much like putting a jumper on the switch leads on the mobo.

Second thing. The heatsink is usually anadized<sp> aluminum. Not the best conductor of electricy. It may create enough resistance to cause startup/shutdown problems.

------------------
    -- I still do not understand the rampant growth of stupidity in this country.

Fight Cancer! Join Team Windrivers at United Devices
    -- I still do not understand the rampant growth of stupidity in this country.
    <a href="http://www.tabletop-battlezone.com" target="_blank">The TableTop BattleZone</a>

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by KoWind7:
    Well first of all, that's NOT how an ATX power switch works. An ATX power switch is a momentary switch. If you leave the power running through the switch, it will just turn on and off rapidly (bad thing). Much like putting a jumper on the switch leads on the mobo.

Second thing. The heatsink is usually anadized<sp> aluminum. Not the best conductor of electricy. It may create enough resistance to cause startup/shutdown problems.

</font>
    HE HE! I always learn so much from you guys!

------------------
    I am not clever enough to put anything of any interest in this spot
    U.S. out of U.N.

FastAndFurious

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by KoWind7:

</font>
    That is true, but the cpu isn't working as a switch, its just working as a replacement in the absence of wire. It has no bearing on the regulation of the power supply. If the switch is closed, it will complete the circuit, if the switch is open the circuit will not continue. And I assumed his heat sink was copper, because if he is a AMD fan, then he probably overclocks, and if he overclocks, then he might have a pretty good heat sink. If i missed anything let me know

------------------

GJFowler

If i missed anything let me know

</font>
    Yes, you missed KoWind's point...

The switch being momentary action means it is ALREADY open while the system is running, so breaking a connection through the heatsink would do precisely nothing. The switch is off at this time, and it has to close AGAIN to shut the system down, the reverse of your idea. Sorry....

If you wanted to tinker with the CPU though, it would in theory be possible to create an external circuit to monitor the electrical contact with the heatsink and shut the system off instantly if it was lost.

------------------
    The platypus, proof God has a sense of humour.

ShadowWynd

What would happen if the Heat sink only partially fall off? We have had some fans slip (still on processor, but at an angle and not mounting securely. Result=Slowly Toasted Athlon.

In your idea, I think it would be possible to have the current still flowing between HS and CPU, but the CPU would be frying.

godofuq

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by ShadowWynd:
    What would happen if the Heat sink only partially fall off? We have had some fans slip (still on processor, but at an angle and not mounting securely. Result=Slowly Toasted Athlon.

In your idea, I think it would be possible to have the current still flowing between HS and CPU, but the CPU would be frying.
    </font>
    If I could keep the current flowing through it probably wouldn't fry it only because I'd be looking to have it resting on one of the 4 feet on the processor and not the actual processor.

------------------

-Aplustech