AUTORUN.INF with windows media player XP

Thread: AUTORUN.INF with windows media player XP

Question AUTORUN.INF with windows media player XP

Hi, not sure if this thread is in the right place...
    I am trying to burn a movie (avi) on a cdr. I want it to “auto start” but cant get the autorun.inf file written correctly it seems. Here are information I received from searching on search engines.

[autorun]
    open=start mplayer2.exe /play /close \yourmovie.avi

here is wht I have in my .inf file:

[autorun]
    open=start mplayer2.exe /play /close \weddingvideo1.avi

so after I burn this (on a cdr-w, so I don’t waste so many) and try to auto play, it says it can’t find “start.exe” and wants me to provide the path.

Does anyone know the correct way to write this or tell me where my mistakes are?

Thnx

First, take out the "start" - you only need that if you are starting the program from a command prompt.

Secondly, if you are intending to launch this with media player, you are going to have to specify where mplayer2.exe is. With your current setup, the computer is going to look on the CD for mplayer2.exe and not going find it.

Third, mplayer2.exe is not the name of Windows media player in Windows XP. The correct path is "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe" Well, at least -I- don't have mplayer2.exe on my system.

Lastly, I'm not sure if any of that crap is even necessary. Try simply using:

[autorun]
    open=weddingvideo1.avi

(you may have to shorten the name to only 8 characters to get it to work)

I did a google search and found the same pages you did, I don't know how those could possibly work when I see so many problems with it. But you'll likely have to play around a bit before you figure it out.

Hey, thnx MacGyver, I’ll give that a try and keep messing with it. Yeah, that’s what I was thinking when I didn’t specify the path but put in only the mplayer2.exe. About the mplayer2.exe on XP, I put that in RUN and it opened up the older version of windows media player>>>WTF? How did it open the old version when it was supposed to be upgraded? I guess in XP, the older version is still sitting there? Or I must be an idiot and they are two different programs which both play movies....hmmm

Well, thnx again for the help and I was wondering if there is a way to put my AUTORUN.inf and the movie file in one folder and try to auto run from the folder instead of burning it every time I wanted to mess with it and see the result? Ok, I probably didn’t make sense...

Instead of burning every time on a cdr-w to check how my autorun came out, is there a program or any way in XP to check it to autorun while it’s on the hard drive?

Oh well… thnx again for the help

If you burn it as an iso to your hard drive, you can then use <a href="http://www.daemon-tools.com/main.htm" target="_blank">Daemon Tools</a> to mount the iso directly.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."