Okay, I once again think I'm in the minority, but I'd like all the roleplayers out there who care to share their opinions to do so now. I played roleplaying games like D&D and GURPS all the time as a kid, and I've never found the computer versions anywhere near as satisfying. They do have great things in their favour like balance, lack of need for other players, etc., but I have never found them any comparison to my own imagination and that of my friends. In a computer roleplaying game, you can't choose to do something not covered by the rules. And there's very little room for spontaneous character interaction -- love, hate, rivalry, jealousy. In many ways, "real" roleplaying is like these forums here, where we adopt personas and play at being part of Evil, Inc. I don't think Evil, Inc. could have grown to exist the way it is now in the Final Fantasy environment.

Now the games are getting better in this respect, I admit, but do any of the other RPG'ers miss the simple books and dice versions? Are there any computer games you might recommend that bring back that level of freedom and imagination to you yet?

Just my 2c worth...