Flashing my BIOS

Thread: Flashing my BIOS

Question Flashing my BIOS

How safe, or un-safe is it to flash BIOS from another motherboard on a different one?

------------------
    If all else fails, kick it. -rewep http://redrival.com/rewep
    Choose your future,
    Choose to sysadmin.

It is risky enough flashing a mother board with the proper bios update that most reputable manufacturers warn you not to flash unless you are having "real" problems with the current bios version.

I would imagine that the risk involved would increase exponentially with the use of a bios for a different motherboard.

Exclamation

I have seen many boards (after the customer tried to "flash" the bios ((thinking that it would solve y2k or other issues not related to bios))). Most did not use the correct "flash" data some even used the wrong bios (Award ~ AMI are not compatable).

I will only say this once.... Only if you can afford to buy a new bios chip from the manufacturer, after market provider or, just want a door stop.

The only analogy I can think of would be trying to put a square peg in a round hole.
    DNRC- let the new world begin.

Smile

Heh, thanks for the advice. I figured it wouldn't work. But since I don't ever use the computer I was planning on doing it to anyway, I always could use a new doorstop.

------------------
    If all else fails, kick it. -rewep http://redrival.com/rewep
    Choose your future,
    Choose to sysadmin.