Do you have a least favorite computer part?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you have a least favorite computer part?

Post Do you have a least favorite computer part?

To narrow this down, only post stuff you bought yourself and continue to put up with, not the cr@p the costomers bring in every day

My least favorite part ever is the three WEstern Digital drives that have died on me since 1998. Now I only buy Seagate, because I'm sick of RMA's.

Next comes my BP6 mobo, which is okay, except the ATA66 controller (highpoint, built in) doesn't work with <u>any</u> hard drive I've ever used, no matter what driver or bios I use, forcing me to use the BX chipset's built in ATA33 controller. When I bought this three years ago I bought it for the ATA66, not the dual CPU support, and now that I am going dualie (only this year, with XP) it's okay, but back then I definatly overpaid sinse the key feature didn't work. /rant off
    So, so busy lately. Oh, where do I start?

Toss up between my 256 stick of no name RAM that I bought at Fry's or the Creative Lab CD-RW I had. Thank you Best Buy for giving me credit and letting me lose on your CD-RW Section
    Sofa King Retarded

Back in '98, anyone remember Micropolis SCSI hard drives? y boss at the time snapped up 8 4GB drives from the manufaturers at only a grand a pop, great deal at the time. But I wanted Seagate or Conner, but I got Micropolis for our mission critical app server...guess what happened.. Over the next 2 weeks our DEC Alpha's raid array went hay-wire as 5, yes 5 of those drives died!!! I still thank the IT gods for teaching me the value of paranioa when it comes to backups. And when I called the manufacturer to RMA these frikkin POS their 800 number said they had just applied for bankruptcy and all RMA claims were being handled by another company, who's phone number was disconnected.
    "Teach the ignorant, care for the dumb, punish the stupid."
    -how to live a life well spent

I HATE the 2 IBM 75gb 75GXP's that I've had to RMA 4 times , I'm trying to get on the band wagon for the class action lawsuit against IBM for these horrible drives.

Oh and I'm not very fond of my klipsch speakers ( sound is awsome ) because i have nowhere to hang the rear speakers grrrr

oh and i can't seem to keep my latest case very cool so here's a "Ghetto" mod for ya ---->

Yes that is a desk fan with the cover ripped off straped to my case with zip ties.
    WHAT THE **** ARE YOU READING MY SIGNATURE FOR?!?

ONCE A GEEK ALWAYS A GEEK...

Any CD-ROM drive I put in my computer. The damn thing goes out every 3 months. I'm like on my 6th or 7th CD-ROM on my sys. Any body have any recommendations on a good CD-ROM drive I can put on my system?? Just bought a new game went to play it last night and the CD-ROM drive is dead again!!!!

[quote]Originally posted by Social Enemy:
    <strong>Any CD-ROM drive I put in my computer. The damn thing goes out every 3 months. I'm like on my 6th or 7th CD-ROM on my sys. Any body have any recommendations on a good CD-ROM drive I can put on my system?? Just bought a new game went to play it last night and the CD-ROM drive is dead again!!!! </strong><hr></blockquote>

Check for a flux or grounding on your board yet? Plextor CD-RW is pretty damn good
    Sofa King Retarded

The *&%$#@ keyboard nipple on my IBM ThinkPad.
    Flash! Don't heckle the supervillain!

[quote]Originally posted by Social Enemy:
    <strong>Any CD-ROM drive I put in my computer. The damn thing goes out every 3 months. I'm like on my 6th or 7th CD-ROM on my sys. Any body have any recommendations on a good CD-ROM drive I can put on my system?? Just bought a new game went to play it last night and the CD-ROM drive is dead again!!!! </strong><hr></blockquote>

get a pioneer DVD-Rom thier pretty cheap and built to last I've had my 10X/40X slot load since they came out with very high workloads pushed on it.
    WHAT THE **** ARE YOU READING MY SIGNATURE FOR?!?

ONCE A GEEK ALWAYS A GEEK...

Banned

I just hate all modems. Any and all, they all have the dumbest errors and never work right. Spent an entire day with about 5 people trying to get a US Robotics on our network. Find out that our network just didn't like talking to that modem. Just incase I need to repeat, I HATE MODEMS. Luckily in the corp. sector I don't deal with them to much, and the ones I do are for laptops(some reason I have good karma with laptop modems)

I hate most of all< and I am sure you all do as well. STUPID USERS
    I like trafic lights

AMD K6-2 Processor

WinModems

<h1>SUCK</h1>

Whatever dots in my monitor are displaying a JungleMan post at any given time.

[quote]Originally posted by Sheriff Q:
    <strong>AMD K6-2 Processor</strong><hr></blockquote>

Got one of those, want me to take a picture and send it too you
    Sofa King Retarded

I hate my Diamond Supra Express 56kE modem. Don't get me wrong... it's a great modem and it kicked @$$ but it died on me through its very first electrical storm. My computer wasn't on, the phone line went through a surge protector and it still fried. First external modem I had since 1991. Never had (yet atleast) an internal fry on me but this one did and it was my favorite modem too. Damn Diamond.
    The Artisan formerly known as A+Tech.