How Big is Your Tech Area?
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How Big is Your Tech Area?

Post How Big is Your Tech Area?

I was just wondering how big everybody's tech area is. Ours is a room that is about 30 feet long and a measly 10' wide. We've got 3 5'X3' bench's to work on with two monitors on each bench. One of the monitors is used for a computer for each of the three technitians and the other is for whatever machine we're working on.
    coffee, coffee, coffee! Java! Coffee! Gimme Java! AHHHHHHHHHH!

10X20
    "We have assumed control"

Considering this was originally a development, production, and repair facility, the whole freaking building is practically a tech area!

Now, production has been moved to Puerto Rico, and repair to New Yawk, so the development labs are taking over the building. With the exception of a cluster of bean counters and salesdroids in one corner of the building, almost the entire building is devoted to product development and research. Even the OUTSIDE of the building is used for development, as there are at least 25 surveilance cameras up on the roof. There are currently 5 labs, and most likely the former production floor will be turned into more labs. And almost everyone in Engineering as at least 1 development system in their cubicle to test stuff on (I've got 7!)

Sounds like you work for Gateway. I am in one of their tech centers and that is basically the setup we have. Though we have five of the benches.

Originally posted by overallniceguy:
    I was just wondering how big everybody's tech area is. Ours is a room that is about 30 feet long and a measly 10' wide. We've got 3 5'X3' bench's to work on with two monitors on each bench. One of the monitors is used for a computer for each of the three technitians and the other is for whatever machine we're working on.
    Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day. Fritter and waste the hours in an off hand way. ---Pink Floyd

Darren Wilson

5'x2.5'

I have a spare desk.....
    Never approach a computer saying or even thinking to yourself "I'll just do this quickly...."

mogul218

Big.

BTW, thanks for the opportunity to post uselessly. We need more topics like this so I can make Tech God by September.

I share a 12' x 15' office with another tech, but it's alright. Now if I could only make my monitor grow in size...
    A bored admin is a very dangerous person...

My Tech Room/Office is about 6x4m(18'x12'?). I have workspace/monitors for 4 customers' computers. The advantages of being a director of the company eh?

To prove something, one must first try to disprove it.

I do not have a good concept of measurment.... (I know I probably opened myself up for some comments there )

Anyway, it is pretty big...have 2 big workbenches....7 IBM server racks....6 shelving units and 5 cabinets...somewhat crowded, but not too bad....
    Failure is not an option -- its a "feature" of Windows.

Mama never told me geekhood was gonna be like this....

My office is 10X15 server room is a bit smaller all the rest of the stuff is out there in the cubicle area---->

and LOL Mogul
    When cometh the day we lowly ones
    Through quiet reflection and great dedication
    Master the art of karate
    Lo, we shall rise up
    And then we'll make the bugger's eyes water

Originally posted by overallniceguy:

Ours is about the same, but we have switch boxes for the monitors, and usually work on 4 systems at a time, 3 benches, and 1 bench for me to do paperwork (which also has the 1 computer we all use for drivers and such)
    -- I still do not understand the rampant growth of stupidity in this country.
    <a href="http://www.tabletop-battlezone.com" target="_blank">The TableTop BattleZone</a>

Smile

25x30 which i share with another tech, we can have up to hmmmmm i would say 12-14 computers up on the bench at one time so we can be pretty busy at times plus we fit all our servers and most of our inventory in their too which can be pretty tight when we get a shipment of a hundred computers, 40 hp laserjets and 50 monitors all at the same time. We have to buy whitebox systems from our disrtibutors since we are moving systems so fast . 25x30 can get pretty small pretty quick.

I wasn't gonna post a reply but then i though about what mogul posted
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)

10X15
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

Ours is approximately 25' x 40' with a divider wall so that we can seperate the area out for things we're working on and things we've fixed.