[RESOLVED] '1984' is Fast Approaching.....
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] '1984' is Fast Approaching.....

mogul218

Post '1984' is Fast Approaching.....

Coming soon to a town near you, http://washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/met...-2001May8.html , here's what we're dealing with in the Washington DC metro area. Apparently this is traffic enforcement of the very near future. We've already got several red light cameras at several intersections. One has already gotten me running a red light. How far do you think they will go before they realize that we the people have privacy rights? This really stinks of that movie 1984.

holy crap that IS like 1984!

damn telescreens ! , I hate exercise !
    WHAT THE **** ARE YOU READING MY SIGNATURE FOR?!?

ONCE A GEEK ALWAYS A GEEK...

Darren Wilson

Red Light camera's have been around over here for a while now.

CobraTekMax

My sister got a running a red light ticket from one of those things. The only thing was, the vehicle in the picture was 1998 blue Subaru Outback, and she drives a 1997 red Dodge Caravan. The license plate in the picture was one digit off (they mistook a "D" for an "0". She fought it and beat it, but not without a lot of BS in between.

If that happens here I am $crewed...BIG TIME!!!
    Failure is not an option -- its a "feature" of Windows.

Mama never told me geekhood was gonna be like this....

Darren Wilson

I don't think you can really win here. If you run a Red Light, you get nicked for dangerous driving, and if you stop at a Red Light, you get nicked for soliciting or kerb crawling!!!!!

Originally posted by PuterGeekGirl:
    If that happens here I am $crewed...BIG TIME!!!
    How many traffic lights could they possibly have in IOWA? (j/k)

They have installed red light cameras at some of the worst intersections in Toronto. It is a big problem here, mainly because the delays between the light turning red and the other light turning green are WAY too long. If there wasn't any delay then red light running would be a thing of the past. If the fine for running a red was something serious like $1000, that would also put a quick end to the BS.

Everyone is in way too much of a hurry, that is the lifestyle here. But it is illegal, and dangerous and I have NO SYMPATHY for anyone who is fined for this, no matter if that is done by a law enforcement officer or an automated camera.

Originally posted by Snommis69:
    How many traffic lights could they possibly have in IOWA? (j/k)
    Could be just one...but darn it she runs it everytime!!!

When cometh the day we lowly ones
    Through quiet reflection and great dedication
    Master the art of karate
    Lo, we shall rise up
    And then we'll make the bugger's eyes water

Ok I was a bigtime traffic ticket getting racing all over the place @sshole. But one day I just wondered what the hell I was doing and what my hurry was.

that was fifteen years ago, no tickets no moving violations of any sort... and NO I don't drive like a grandma. But if I'm late I'm late so what.

They have those red light cameras in CA. I use to like those radar detectors that had the big screen that shows your speed.
    When cometh the day we lowly ones
    Through quiet reflection and great dedication
    Master the art of karate
    Lo, we shall rise up
    And then we'll make the bugger's eyes water

Urmm, I miss the point here. So they are now enforcing laws that have been in place for years by using new equipment? And get off the privacy crap. The main problem that people seem to be having is that this is a method they haven't figured out how to avoid yet.

Driving at speed limit + stopping at reds = no picture taken

Now, if I find out these things take pictures of everyone and compiles that data, I will get pissed and vocal about it.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

The Hitchikers Guide to the Universe - Mostly Harmless - Douglas Adams

How about if my wife or one of my parents is driving my car? I get the ticket?

What's wrong with this picture Mr. Orwell?
    "what'dya mean I hosed the whole thing? Is that bad?"

Originally posted by LPetrarca:
    How about if my wife or one of my parents is driving my car? I get the ticket?

What's wrong with this picture Mr. Orwell?
    Its issues like that the owner is responsible for. Don't let them drive if you have a suspicion. Lawmakers in Minnesota,USA voted camaras down last week. I don't mind it either way.

You know, I really begin to wonder about this privacy thing - you bitch about the invasion of privacy because a camera takes a picture of your car when you are breaking the law....

Had it not occurred to you that if you stopped breaking the law, these things would not be necessary? Furthermore an awful lot of people would be alive today having not been run down by these selfish maniacs.

I bet every one of you that disagrees with the automated speeding vehicle catchers, would quite happily take a photo of the person robbing your house and give it to the police so they could catch him or her!

On average during a journey lasting 10 miles, if you broke the speed limit by 10 miles an hour - you achieve the mighty time saving of about 10 seconds. Is it really worth it??

Rant over - but I live in a straight road that the children cross to get to school and despite a line of cars being parked down one side and parents and children everywhere, local residents are caught doing 20 miles an hour over the speed limit! One of these days it will happen, a children will be killed because some A$$hole will lose control and carreer on to the pavement (sidewalk) because s/he decided that s/he needed to save 10 seconds. I don't know about you, but that frightens the hell out of me and my children.

OK Rant definitely over
    Never approach a computer saying or even thinking to yourself "I'll just do this quickly...."

I'm afraid I come down on the side of the cameras here as well. If you have to drive so fast to get where you're going that you are endangering other people, then either move, get a new job, or get up ten minutes earlier in the morning. Anything else is being worse than inconsiderate to other humans, it's being willfully unsafe and potentially homicidal (and suicidal).
    Flash! Don't heckle the supervillain!