4 cm CD-Rs...good or bad? What use do they have?

Thread: 4 cm CD-Rs...good or bad? What use do they have?

Post 4 cm CD-Rs...good or bad? What use do they have?

I just got back from a trip to the computer store...it seems they sell 4cm (half of what a regular disk is) CD-Rs. They're rated at 185MB.

What do you all think? Good? Bad? I can see maybe a good use in just copying a few files or whatever...and they would definitely be great for portable MP3 players....what's your take?
    People need to find out the real story before they jump to conclusions drawn from their worst fears.

Have not seen those yet, but I think the buisness card size ones are cool. A friend at work programs on the side for fun and gives them out with some freeware on them, and his resume.

Originally posted by Snommis69:
    Have not seen those yet, but I think the buisness card size ones are cool.
    These are about business card size. The jewel case for these disks are a little less than the size of a ZIP disk case.
    People need to find out the real story before they jump to conclusions drawn from their worst fears.

I'm starting to get into publishing stuff on CD, and have considered the 40 mm discs for their cuteness value, and because they look totally different than anything else.

A lot of times most of the CD isn't even used.

Where do you buy those? What are the prices in relation to regular CDRs?

I can get them here with out a problem.
    Not very expencive ether. - it's more the Gimik then the actual size.
    also some new portable mp3 playrs use them.

about the buisness card size.
    you can also buy them here. 12Mb and Damm Very Expencive.
    If you are into Video Editing : <a href="http://www.highvid.com" target="_blank">www.HighVid.com</a>

Originally posted by Insane Disco Man:

I reckon you could buy them if you looked around. When I saw them, the spindle of 50 was $29.95. Of course though, they also had the full size (74 min) CD-Rs there for $8.99 for a spindle.

Sony has a digital camera with a CDR Drive in it, I know that uses that size CDR, other then that..... I have no idea.. yeah the business card size ones are cool too... although I have only seen them with AOL on them , and quite frankly I would have rather never seen the discs in that case.

Originally posted by Glenn:
    I just got back from a trip to the computer store...it seems they sell 4cm (half of what a regular disk is) CD-Rs. They're rated at 185MB.

What do you all think? Good? Bad? I can see maybe a good use in just copying a few files or whatever...and they would definitely be great for portable MP3 players....what's your take?
    Initiative + Technology = Initech

My friend uses re-writable ones for his drivers.
    Also they are used in the new Sony Digital camera as storage.

I use them to give to friends who want to share music and small apps. Save the fullsize ones for things that need that much space.
    FORMERLY DaTaMan

The comments contained in this post are not necessarily the views of the forum owners, not necessarily the views of the other forum members, and probably not necessary.

Blood Angel

I used to use them for sneeking files around, from the shop to home, from home to the shop, and everywhere in betwwen, on a 4X burner they took about 10 mins to burn, if that... but mostly game demos, MP3's and other small crappy files and stuff.

I like the resume & freeware idea....
    hmmmm...

I've seen those, they're pretty cool. Companies send those out with demo's on them a lot. They would be really cool to use for resume's. Think about it, you could really get creative with it, incorporate some flash, and maybe some music. That would be pretty cool.

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar

Originally posted by Glenn:
    These are about business card size. The jewel case for these disks are a little less than the size of a ZIP disk case.

I have been using them for a while now, they are exactly the size of the card ones, except they dont have the sides cut off to make them square-ish. I dont think that they have any real use, but man do they look cool!
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar

Originally posted by Insane Disco Man:

They are usually the same price or slightly higher priced
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-