Phone Madness

Thread: Phone Madness

Chat Moderator Great White North's Avatar

Post Phone Madness

I get this guy will call him Bill he calls my house every 2-3 mths at least for the past 2 yrs. The last time was the last call for me, He has a 386 and is bound and determine to upgrade I have told him numerous times sure lets upgrade it but then he says im on a pension and cant afford it. Well this last time he called and started the same thing I want to upgrade my 386.. I almost snapped I said the only dam thing that it good for is a boat anchor at best. Told him I could sell him a used 300 loaded for $225.00 Cash and this is in Canadian $$ He says again well I can still upgrade mine. After the vein in my forehead poped I asked him to goto any shop in town other than me not in nice words.. Please dont waste my time. Bad mistake he called back after doing what I said.. Think the guy would get the hint... Whats next?

I hate people that constantly waste my time. This man will get hangups from now on I cant take it anymore beam me up Scottie
    Igloos for sale!! Buy them today keep the cold away!

Call display... Don't answer

Otherwise, give him a price on an upgrad... New case, New mobo, New CPU, New ram... etc.. then show him the price of a new PC.. Just tell him, "Well when yo udecide to upgrade, give me a call.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

You just can't tell some people anything. I think I'd try to 'refer' him to someone else. Preferably someone against whom I had a grudge. Or you can just hang up on him.
    a LARTing we will go
    a LARTing we will go
    hi-ho the derrio
    a LARTing we will go

This is the point where you shift the blame,

Tell him "Microsoft doesn't support anything preivious to win98 anymore, so neither do I. The suggested system requirements for a PC running win98 is a pentium II with 64MB of RAM etc. You need to upgrade before I can give you any further support. Thank You, and have a nice life."

It's not your fault/problem that Microsoft and any other software maker for that matter doesn't make stuff to run on a 386.

Yeah I know you people out there are thinking Linux, but let's not even go there with this thread.
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded

Senior Member - 1000+ Club Outcoded's Avatar
    Somewhere in the UK, never quite sure where

[quote]Originally posted by craigmodius:
    <strong>
    Yeah I know you people out there are thinking Linux, but let's not even go there with this thread. </strong><hr></blockquote>

A modern Linux Distro on a 386? Get real! I tried Mandrake 8.1 on a P200 and **** it crawled.
    I'm in charge and I say we blow it up

okay I said not to go there, but just for fun...

From Red Hat FAQ's Question:

What are the minimum hardware and space requirements for installing Red Hat Linux on my PC?

Answer:

This depends on the version of Red Hat Linux you wish to install. Different releases contain various sets of application packages and different versions of the Linux kernel, both of which are important when judging system requirements.

Red Hat Linux 7.1:

Processor — Any x86 processor (minimum required); Intel Pentium or AMD-K6 (minimum recommended).

And of course I'll admit there's a world of difference between 'required' and 'recommended'

isn't the formula "required=headache" "recommended x 2= realistic"

but then don't ask me i have RH 7.2 on a 1.4ghz w 256mb ram.
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded