Acting Bug.. I wanna be on Saturday Night Live!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Acting Bug.. I wanna be on Saturday Night Live!

Post Acting Bug.. I wanna be on Saturday Night Live!

Ahhh...not a computer oriented topic but I just started taking Improv classes at Second City, a good way to unwind. Any other budding actors, actresses, comedians in the making, or wannabees, chime in below!

Cobra

That's awesome, Scott! If you make it big, don't forget all us poor schmucks at WinDrivers.

Maybe we should have a WinDrivers PC oriented comedy show. That would rule!

------------------
    "Black in the Sun
    What have I done?
    I feel so bad
    I feel so numb"

Rob Zombie - "Feel So Numb"

I used to be an actor.

By "actor" I mean I used to work at a lousy service job in Los Angeles... just like 90% of all other "actors" in L.A. But at least I never wasted my time trying to audition for anything.

http://forums.windrivers.com/cgi-bin...ML/000433.html

[This message has been edited by SavagePenguin (edited October 10, 2001).]
    --------------------------
    Laugh at your problems... Everybody else does!

kpataska

Ah, I, too, am an actor.

When I have to tell a customer that they didn't screw something up even though they told me they did,

Whenever my boss says something stupid and I don't puke laughing,

When someone who knows better does something assenine

I am an actor.

Kenny P.

kingtbone

Cool

Sounds like you shouuld get some tips from the wayward clam, I think he's into this kinda stuff too. Good luck with it

------------------
    Posts look pretty stupid without the signature, so here it is.

furlong47

Well Scott, once I graduate and become a big time director or producer , I can put in a good word for you although it might take me a couple years to make it there!!

------------------
    Furlong47's Poetry Page
    ROADTRIP!!!

You know it's going to be a long day when you get up, shave and shower, start to get dressed and your shoes are still warm. -- Dean Webber

[This message has been edited by furlong47 (edited October 10, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by furlong47 (edited October 10, 2001).]

IT Len

On the job I act all the time:

I act surprised at user errors, I act sincerely interested in the problems of others, I act busy when the "water cooler guy" comes by my office,...

They just haven't gotten around to recording any of my best acting on film yet!

------------------
    "How stange it is that men are so rash as to dare to reprehend what they cannot possibly comprehend!" St. Bernard

opiate

As long as I can make myself laugh, I consider myself a comedian.

Actor? I used to be a magazine and promotions model for JC Penney’s, Sears and The Buckle. I was around 14 to 18 years old. I got allot of free cloths, so it was worth it.

I've always wanted to be in major motion pictures, L.A. here I come...... But over all SNL would be a dream come true. Will Farrel and Jimmy Fallon are the best!

[This message has been edited by opiate (edited October 10, 2001).]

ad3p4

Any possibility of you posting your scripts or standup acts in here?

Is any of it "IT" oriented?

You could probably write up a book with the Tech Tales forum on its own!

------------------
    "Expect the unexpected"
    ------------------

window_washer

Scott, I am indeed a professional improv comedian (got a show this Sunday night, in fact), and I would be more than happy to offer advice or inside info on any particular questions you might have. Second City is a fantastic place to get started, they are some of the best and funniest in the world. Improv training, even if you don't continue on to the performance world, is fantastic for giving you confidence, public speaking skills, the ability to adapt mentally to new situations, and the ability to think creatively on your feet. Plus, you will meet a LOT of interesting people and new friends. I am very happy to hear you are doing this! Maybe someday we will meet on stage...

Adept: I have been considering posting some of our group's scripts here before (we do both sketch and improv comedy), but haven't checked with my director yet as to his approval... we have done a couple with computer themes and one was directly inspired by Darren, but for the most part they are not "geek" humour because we don't have audiences that are mostly "geeks", even though we are...

------------------
    In another lifetime, I USED to be known as Wayward Clam. But the Powers That Be have spoken, so who am I to argue...?

NooNoo

Go for it Scott - there is nothing quite like being someone else in front of lots of other people!

Nor nothing quite like the stares you get from other drivers while you learn you words at the traffic lights!

I used to belong to an amateur dramatics society and enjoyed it thorougly, though I made more costumes than I had speaking parts! Maybe I will rejoin when the kids are old enough not to heckle!

------------------
    Never ever approach a computer saying or thinking, "I will just do this quickly"

window_washer

Oh yeah, plus I forgot to mention, for anyone else thinking about trying it, it is a HELLUVA LOT OF FUN.

------------------
    In another lifetime, I USED to be known as Wayward Clam. But the Powers That Be have spoken, so who am I to argue...?

Fierce1

Talking

Way to go Scott!! Good luck to you, I'm sure you will do well in your new endevour! Keep us posted with your progress.

------------------
    Go big...or go home!

Falcon

I suppose I am an actor as well.

Though I've been acting for well over a decade, I've decided to stop acting as much and focus on directing. I hold auditions for, the Lion in Winter by James Goldman, this Sunday.

Acting is a great time. You meet the most interesting people doing it. I don't really like to do musicals though. It takes a different mind set to do those. Plus, a lot of singers are kind of like prima donnas. I don't find the same cockiness in actors. In my experience, actors are a lot easier to work with.

This past summer I created a Shakespeare performing company. I co-produced, co-directed and acted in a Shakespeare variety show. We had 15 actors and I invited a rennasance(sp?) vocal group to perform. It was great. We made a little money and had an incredible turn out for our first time out.

I would definately encourage anyone to give acting a try. And there are other things that you can do if you don't want to act, such as: lights, sound, set design/building, ushering, stage manager, etc.

------------------
    Hehe, you're silly.

Grendel

I used to fancy myself an actor..... Drama Club in High School and Community Theatre stuff in college and my first few years working. I also did alot of lighting and other tech stuff once they figured out that I was technically inclined. It was always fun but I can't seem to find the time for it anymore.