[RESOLVED] Lost driver

Thread: [RESOLVED] Lost driver

Myles

Resolved [RESOLVED] Lost driver

Did an uninstall, seem to have lost my CDRom
    driver. Am looking for "mtmminip.mpd" file for Win95.

TIA

Myles

If mtmminip.mpd is a driver you need, it should be in one of the .cab files on the Windows 9x installation CD or diskettes. It depends on the exact version of Windows you are running.

You say you are missing the CD-ROM driver...do you mean the DOS driver, or is Windows 9x not finding your CD-ROM drive?

Myles
    I guess it is the DOS Driver because the CDROM drive is present. It can read the install 95 disk. The file is supposed to be in Win95_05.cab When I do a "FIND" I get 0 Files Found! I tried opening the cab file and I get a message saying "the extension needs to be .set" Tried to change the extension and was Warned "changing a file extension might render the file useless."

I hope this isn't a stupid question...

Are you familiar with EXTRACT command? If not, it is what you use to extract the files out of a cabinet file. You will find it in the Windows\COMMAND\ subdirectory and it can be run from a DOS box. Type 'extract' to see the switches you can use to get out the file you need.

I am curious though...why do you think you need this exact file? Did you get an error message mentioning this file?

Myles
    The only reason I was wanting that file was because it was the specified file in the driver info box in Device Manager and it was the driver that was installed before I messed things up. I didn't know about the "Extract" feature and I do appreciate the info. Now for the good part. I managed to get the file back by using the "change driver" option in Device Manager. It offered me the option to enter the path to the file: I told it Win95_05.cab and it reinstalled the driver. I don't understand why when I did the "FIND" it returned 0 Files Found. Furthermore I downloaded and extracted the universal UNIIDE Driver file before I did the "change driver" thing but it did not seem to work. Cantankerous things these puters eh?
    I certainly appreciate everyone's input.

mitko
    Make sure you have AUTOEXEC.BAT on you Hard Drive's root directory C:\

You should have the following lines in the AUTOEXEC.BAT:

@ECHO off
    PATH=C:\;C:\WINDOWS;C;\WINDOWS\COMMAND
    C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX /D:MSCD001 /V

You will never have a problem again.