I need Music download advice
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I need Music download advice

Angry I need Music download advice

I am a big music fanatic. I am also a bigtime computer user so as you can guess, i like the download services that the internet has to offer but recently I decided to get rid of the service I was using, GROKSTER. This is because I found out that if someone has a file from KaZaa, it is more than likely infected with a virus. I got a tip from my high school computer tech teacher to download AVG to scan my computer to avoid getting anymore viruses because after I did my first virus scan, the program found a virus called Benjamin. I was not sure what to do so I called my tech teacher and she ended up having to come over to my house to help get my computer back to working order. So I have not yet downloaded another music download service in fear of getting another virus. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone has any suggestions on a safe download service. I have saved my music from the other service and the files are clean but there are new songs coming out that I want to download. So any music download services suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I suggest you go and buy music if you want it that badly.

I do not condone the use of P2P programs that are largely used to pirate music, applications, or any copyrighted material. I suggest no one else does either.

Go away. Ta.
    [email protected]

http://forum.hot4s.com.au - Hot 4's & Performance cars

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by EvilCabbage:
    <strong>I suggest you go and buy music if you want it that badly.

I do not condone the use of P2P programs that are largely used to pirate music, applications, or any copyrighted material. I suggest no one else does either.

Go away. Ta.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">what a way to welcome a new member....
    (_|_) I AM EDITED BY WEBHEAD (_|_)

if you want none illegal audio files download ogg file

same thing as mp3's only they have a differnt extention .ogg not .mp3 plus ogg is a free open source music format

Haven't had much trouble out of Kazaa, just kill the Spyware. And try not to steal. Here's my opinion, like it matters. 99% of what I download has been bought at one time on LP, 8track, cassette or cd. this is a more convenient way of putting it on my pc. Look out, here come the flames.
    I drink therefore I am.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by DiR[ëctory]:
    <strong>what a way to welcome a new member....</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">What a way to ask its first question...

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"> Originally posted by rtucker:
    <strong>
    "help me pirate music!"
    </strong>
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">I dont care what your personal gripes are with the MPAA, or RIAA (or whatever they are calling themselves this week), but this sort of topic has been covered far too much already, and does not deserve any further space.

Perhaps you think this is over-reacting, fine. You are welcome to an opinion, just as I am. Remember, this harmless file sharing might be all well and good, until someone steals your work, of course.
    [email protected]

Had a retail tech in the chatroom this morning, has a customer's machine full of Benjamin.... Basically it has done its work and it is format time.

The customer is whining that he is going to lose all his files.

I pointed out they were not his in the first place. Funny, it didn't go down too well.....
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

This is basically the only one that works anymore:

<a href="http://download.gnutelliums.com/gnotella/gnotella.exe" target="_blank">http://download.gnutelliums.com/gnotella/gnotella.exe</a>

No spyware in this one, but it's out of date and there's no guarantee you won't download something bogus.

If thats your thing, I say increase your security and keep on plugging at it. You probably wont have those services for a whole lot longer.

For the record: I have been playing music for 14 years and have spent 5 of those years as a proffessional musician. In that time file shareing services like Napster helped spread my music around and got more people to my shows than any amount of promo work that the indie label I was on did. These P2P services arent all peaches and cream but they have been and still are a help to many. Just like with everything else, you have to take the bad with the good.
    I dont feel tardy...

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by EvilCabbage:
    <strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by DiR[ëctory]:
    <strong>what a way to welcome a new member....</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">What a way to ask its first question...

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"> Originally posted by rtucker:
    <strong>
    "help me pirate music!"
    </strong>
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">I dont care what your personal gripes are with the MPAA, or RIAA (or whatever they are calling themselves this week), but this sort of topic has been covered far too much already, and does not deserve any further space.

Perhaps you think this is over-reacting, fine. You are welcome to an opinion, just as I am. Remember, this harmless file sharing might be all well and good, until someone steals your work, of course.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">\

I just wonder why you don't jump on regular forum members who readily admit to using p2p software and downloaded music in other threads. There was just one in the steam room a few days ago. You are always ready to flex your muscles and jump all over a newbie though. . .

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by kato:
    <strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by EvilCabbage:
    <strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by DiR[ëctory]:

<strong>
    "help me pirate music!"
    </strong>

Perhaps you think this is over-reacting, fine. You are welcome to an opinion, just as I am. Remember, this harmless file sharing might be all well and good, until someone steals your work, of course.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">\

I just wonder why you don't jump on regular forum members who readily admit to using p2p software and downloaded music in other threads. There was just one in the steam room a few days ago. You are always ready to flex your muscles and jump all over a newbie though. . . </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Perhaps Kato, I am reading this all wrong, but I do not see EC "jumping all over" a newbie. I see EC expressing his dislike for people who steal. I believe if you check what EC said about his .ogg format that he ripped his own cds.. not downloaded stuff he hadn't paid for.

I believe when you register you are informed that no illegal activities maybe discussed. P2P music download is illegal when the music is copyrighted. Therefore this "newbie" deliberately ignored the rules of the forum and EC in his australian fashion gave his viewpoint.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Just for the record:

Rules, Policies, and Disclaimers
    If you agree to abide by our rules below, please press the Agree button, which will enable you to register on this message board. If you do not agree to these terms, press the Cancel button.

Considering the real-time nature of this message board, it is impossible for us to review messages or confirm the validity of information posted. Please remember that we do not actively monitor the contents of posted messages and are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this BB or any entity associated with this BB. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, so please realize that we may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately.You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this BB to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law. You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyrighted material is owned by you.Although we do not and cannot review the messages posted and are not responsible for the content of any of these messages, we reserve the right to delete any message for any reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold us harmless with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s).We reserve the right to reveal your identity (or whatever information we know about you) in the event of a complaint or legal action arising from any message posted by you.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by kato:
    [QBI just wonder why you don't jump on regular forum members who readily admit to using p2p software and downloaded music in other threads. There was just one in the steam room a few days ago. You are always ready to flex your muscles and jump all over a newbie though. . . [/QB]</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Always ready to flex my muscle, and jump all over a newbie?

Bah, humbug I say.

I believe I expressed my distaste for theft in the Steam Room also. Try reading everything in careful detail, before cramming those feet in your mouth, pal.
    [email protected]

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by NooNoo:
    <strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by kato:
    <strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by EvilCabbage:

<strong>
    "help me pirate music!"
    </strong>

I just wonder why you don't jump on regular forum members who readily admit to using p2p software and downloaded music in other threads. There was just one in the steam room a few days ago. You are always ready to flex your muscles and jump all over a newbie though. . . </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Perhaps Kato, I am reading this all wrong, but I do not see EC "jumping all over" a newbie. I see EC expressing his dislike for people who steal. I believe if you check what EC said about his .ogg format that he ripped his own cds.. not downloaded stuff he hadn't paid for.

</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">that's exactly my point noo noo, in that very same thread, regular forum members were discussing using kazzaa, winmx and other file sharing software and the only comment EC had was about OGG format. Why not rip me, jungleman, taz, doc pc and everyone else who mentioned downloading mp3's in that thread. There was not one comment from EC to the extent of "Buy your music .. . . go away" only and explanation of OGG format and to say he has no mp3's. I just don't see the consistency there?

and though I agree that these topics started by new members are almost always about downloading copyrighted songs, no where in this particular post did the user mention he was downloading illegal music. just simply music. It's a fine line, I know . . . but still. When ever someone asks a question about win98 we don't assume they have a pirated copy installed even though a lot of times that's the case.

If someone posts "How do I steal music" word for word in the subject, I'll be right there to say "go away" but when someone asks about security risks of file sharing software he is in no way declaring explicitly that he is engaging in illegal activities and should be given the benefit of the doubt.

<strong>that's exactly my point noo noo, in that very same thread, regular forum members were discussing using kazzaa, winmx and other file sharing software and the only comment EC had was about OGG format. Why not rip me, jungleman, taz, doc pc and everyone else who mentioned downloading mp3's in that thread. ???</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Fine, let me re-iterate my point from the SR thread.

I have ripped my CD's to the hard drive on my work PC, so I dont run the risk of damaging, or otherwise missing out on having my music with me. The CD's stay on the shelf to my left. Whatever format its in, (be it .ogg at the moment) is irrelevant. I own the music.

When JungleMan hinted at using P2P software for questionable purposes, I briefly said my piece, and left it at that.
    [email protected]