[RESOLVED] MSCD001

Thread: [RESOLVED] MSCD001

D. James

MSCD001

THANKS FOR THE HELP DARRELL, THOUGH THE OEMCD WAS NOT RECOGNIZED AS A DRIVER. WHAT REALLY STUMPS ME IS THAT WHILE 'STARTING WINDOWS 95' IT LIST THE ATAPI CDROM DEVICE DRIVER, MTMCDAE.SYS (I GOT FROM MITSUMI:FXII6) THEN, IT GIVES ME THE MESSAGE 'NO VALID DRIVERS' BAD COMMAND OF FILE NAME :MSCD001. I GOT THE SAME RESULTS USING 'OEMCD'. INTEL CHIPSET, CONNER SCSI HD, MITSUMI CDROM. I'M TRYING TO HELP A FRIEND OUT, BUT THEY HAVE NO OEM FLOPPIES, JUST THE 18 CAB VERSION WIN95, SO I'M UNABLE TO PLACE CABS ON FLOPPY -CAN'T GET CDROM INSTALLED-DYNAMITE SEEMS LIKE THE NEXT LOGICAL APPROACH...DAMN! GOT A MATCH!

shawnMt
    if youre really that lost over this, and it is a mitsumi drive, you can download the mitsumi diag util from http://www.mitsumi.com onto a bootable floppy and it will give you cdrom support in dos. oh and dude, you dont have to YELL AND TYPE LIKE THIS - WE CAN HEAR YOU>>> just a thought and hope this helps...

[This message has been edited by shawnMt (edited June 06, 1999).]

Steve Zap
    I think I know your problem.

Edit the Config.sys and autoexec.bat on your boot floppy. Each should have a line that looks like teh following:

Config.sys:
    device=cddriver.sys /d:mscdai

Autoexec.bat:
    mscdex.exe /d:mscd001

(If the syntax isn't perfect don't blame me, it has been a while and I am doing this from memory )

Anyway, the part after the /d: should be EXACTLY THE SAME in BOTH files ! This is DOS' way of identifying which CDROM is which. anything after /d: is the name of that drive. You can name it whatever you want, but as I said... both MUST match. It seems the standard is to call it mscd001 because that is the default Microsoft numbering scheme. If you had 2 CDROMs Microsoft would make the next MSCD002 (Convenient Eh ? )

Anyway, make those match and you will have your CDROM working in no time

-Steve Zap

Mustang
    also you can use a bootable floppy with a cd driver installed on it to access the cdrom such as a win98 startup disk for a different machine