Motorbike riders...? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Motorbike riders...?

Cool

Thinking about investing in a Bike for getting work, a car is no good - get screwed on insurance, don't like scooters and the price of them in the UK is rediculess, public transportation just gets worse each day - so what can you do.

I'm friends with a lot of bikers (I work with one), but more motorcycle accidents are caused by motorists, who refuse to use their mirrors, than the bikers.

Also, is it me or do motorists never use their signal indicators anymore. Everyday I see an increasing number of drivers who pull out without signaling, OK the road may not be jammed with traffic, however the indicators are for other peoples benefit not their own. The driver knows where they are going, it would be nice to let other people know. I was nearly hit by a car the other day, turning a corner because he didn't signal until halfway round the bend (which was too late anyway).

/RANT OVER/
    Good day to be alive, sir
    Good day to be alive he says, yeah

Senior Member - 1000+ Club Outcoded's Avatar
    Somewhere in the UK, never quite sure where

I ride occasionally. Start small while you get used to a bike. Watch the idiot in the car. Buy a Honda, they're gr8. Think that's all you need to know really.
    I'm in charge and I say we blow it up

I have to agree with Geek#1, I believe in the US the number one cause of motorcycle accidents is motorists pulling in front of motorcycles when pulling out into the road or when making a left turn, I believe the left turn one is more predominant.

I also agree with Outcoded, get use to the power and speed, also, you can wind out a small bike which is fun, who wants some litre bike that can do 80-90mph(140-150kph?) in first gear? Plus, smaller bikes corner better than larger bikes in general and will make you better at cornering.

I'm not sure which Honda everyone is talking about but it looks like the zzr250 or GPX250(US Ninja 250) look good.
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)

[quote]Originally posted by thirdfey:
    <strong>I have to agree with Geek#1, I believe in the US the number one cause of motorcycle accidents is motorists pulling in front of motorcycles when pulling out into the road or when making a left turn, I believe the left turn one is more predominant.

I also agree with Outcoded, get use to the power and speed, also, you can wind out a small bike which is fun, who wants some litre bike that can do 80-90mph(140-150kph?) in first gear? Plus, smaller bikes corner better than larger bikes in general and will make you better at cornering.

I'm not sure which Honda everyone is talking about but it looks like the zzr250 or GPX250(US Ninja 250) look good.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ya, but them UK boys drive in the opposite lane as we do. Our left is toward the other lane, their left is toward the ditch. Right??? That's got to be half the problem right there.

slippery

My first street bike was a Kawasaki ZZR 250, very nice learners bike (or even the GPX 250 its a bit smaller) both very forgiving for bikes, nice centre of gravity and very reliable, also doesn't have that tendancy to buck on corners like a Honda RGV/CBR.

Cool

I've narrowed down my choice, I'm fairly tall so my choice is a little limited.. It looks like I'm going to get a Honda VTR250, kit it out with Solid saddle bags on the back then point the bike North and ride for about 1-2 weeks... :-) (Though I'll have to turn east before too long.. or I'll get very wet. )

I wanna get number plates "TMP AUS" ("Temp Australian" its what the paramedics call motorbike riders.. *grin*)

I think I'm going to enjoy my next batch of holidays...
    "If life gives you poop, Make poop juice" - Bug eye'd Earl (redmeat.com)
    Gentoo, a Linux Gamers best friend!

senectus, that honda looks very cool now that I have been to the Honda Australia page. What a cool little V-Twin, wish we got it here in the states. Have fun with it man, it should pull better out of corners than the Kawasaki and plus, its a honda.
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)

Can't help you with the laws in Aust. But I will give you a little advice. Watch out for everyone. Even the best drivers sometimes don't see bikes. Have fun! I have had my old 1980 Honda CB 650 custom for 8 years now and love it!