Pledge Declared Unconstitutional
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Pledge Declared Unconstitutional

Red face Pledge Declared Unconstitutional

Read it here:

<a href="http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&ncid=716&e=1&u=/ap/20020626/ap_on_re_us/pledge_of_allegiance_2" target="_blank">Yahoo News</a>

Or here:

<a href="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A49407-2002Jun26.html" target="_blank">Washington Post</a>

I guess US currency is unconstitutional, too.
    "I have plenty of talent and vision. I just don't give a damn."

Potential Bumper Sticker: "Wiggle your mouse, it's just a screensaver."

RIDICULOUS!

I remember singing the Pledge Of Allegiance in grade school. Now it's Unconstitutional! Some people will start anything to get attention.

So now I guess all those hundreds of time we sang it was wrong. (*&^(*&^(*&^*(^(*&^(*^)_#)(@&#)$%#*(&@ bitches!

Our schools have to be multidemonational, however you can go to a church sponsered school and only have that particular religion taught.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by opiate:
    <strong>I remember singing the Pledge Of Allegiance in grade school.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">I remember reciting it, but not singing it...

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by NooNoo:
    <strong>Our schools have to be multidemonational, however you can go to a church sponsered school and only have that particular religion taught.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">also known as Private Schools. Yes, we have those too but they cost allot of $$$

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by opiate:
    <strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by NooNoo:
    <strong>Our schools have to be multidemonational, however you can go to a church sponsered school and only have that particular religion taught.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">also known as Private Schools. Yes, we have those too but they cost allot of $$$</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">The reason behind it isn't because of multidenominations, but because of "seperation of church and state". Not that I agree with the decision.

What kind of churches you got over there NooNoo? multidemonational???

Dunno, I don't partake. We have a slew of religions representing just about every part of the world, I guess.

I don't mind religion, I just mind the my god is better than your god attitude.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

The Pledge, as it is now, is unconstituional. I have seen kids get into trouble for not singing it becuase the words go against their relgion..or some such...either way, all they have to do is ratify it, or remove the under god part, and you will see everyone happily singing again.
    "There is always a need for intoxication: China has opium, Islam has hashish, the West has woman."
    André Malraux
    (1901-1976)

"Don't let worry kill you -- let the church help."

I've been in trouble for not reciting it because I'm an atheist - I was more passionate at age 17. The solution was for me not to recite but I had to stand, which I was fine with. I understand the reason for this but I personally feel we can be patriotic without having to reafirm it daily. In fact, I kind of always found the whole thing to be spooky. My $.02.

They pledge can be rewritten, just without the God reference.

Banned

I just had a problem with not saying Amen at the end of it.

Home: Eagle River, Alaska Work: Chukchi Sea Alaska

I remember back in 1980 I had an Introduction to Constitutional Law class in college. The instructor was actually a retired appelate judge from Virginia. He was a cranky old dude, but entertaining. One day he was telling us that there are 4 laws on the books in the US that if ever challenged he thought would be overturned (not that he necessarily agreed). One of them was The Pledge of Allegiance. The "Under God" phrase.
    The other 3 were:
    1. Swearing on the Bible in court ("So Help You God"). Most judicial districts have eliminated the Bible & the God statement.
    2. Plural Marriages (especially for religious tenets - Freedom of Religion)). This one has been challenged in Utah & Arizona, but so far still upheld.
    3. Title IX. Has been challenged several times and been upheld.

Ironically enough The "In God We Trust" on our currency has been challenged several times, as recently as a couple of years ago, and has been upheld by the courts.
    I only post using 100% recycled electrons!!!

Stay on the bomb run, boys. I'm going to get them doors open if it hair lips everybody on Bear Creek.

I don't really care, I could go on for hours about all the "brainwashing" done by our government. One less patriotic message is fine by me.
    "Don't be so humble - you are not that great." - Golda Meir

Registered User Stanley_Kubrick's Avatar

"UNDER GOD" was not even in the pledge of allegiance until Dwight Eisenhower became president.

I have thought for years that we could just take it back out.
    Jesus Saves.

Gretzky recovers... He shoots... HE SCORES!!!

It just reminds me of Braveheart:

Wllace: Never in my life did I swear alliegence to him.

Prosecuter: It matters not, he is your king.
    "There is always a need for intoxication: China has opium, Islam has hashish, the West has woman."
    André Malraux
    (1901-1976)

"Don't let worry kill you -- let the church help."

Cool

i'll always pity atheists i guess...with nothing to believe in they have to go after any little thing they can find. i feel sorry for them.