DC area northern VA people plz help

Thread: DC area northern VA people plz help

Post DC area northern VA people plz help

hello my windriver junkies... i am going to be relocating to the DC area...and need help in companies that are hiring or companies that are worth looking into..also how is the market down there i would like to have a job buy sept. am i asking to much or is it possible,,, i have been looking at monster.com and techies.com with some leads but would like more if you could help it would be much appretiated... qualifications: im a hardware guy with networking experance strong 2000 and msce NT..also what's with all the secruity clearances needs?? is it hard to get into a company that wiil get you one?
    Impounded impressions of aggressive democracy see lil need to help poverty/
    A land of freedom? Of wealth? Of justice?
    I fear not for me, but for my children to wake up and see, that I am nothing but a slave
    In modern society

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by n8dawg:
    <strong>..also what's with all the secruity clearances needs?? is it hard to get into a company that wiil get you one?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">heh-heh. Most companies in this area contract out to the Federal Government, so they almost all require a clearance of some sort. Back about 10 years ago, I believe it cost a company about $20k to do a background check and have clearance work done. Not sure how much it is nowadays tho. That cost is incurred by the company, so they would much rather you already have a clearance so they don't have to fork over the cash and risk you leaving when you get it!

Anywho... I worked for Lockheed Martin for 6 years in Northern VA, they are a huge company and there are a lot of politics involved, but they have a deep budget and it's a good place to get your foot in the door. Downside...besides the politics(which are at every job), if you don't have a degree of some sort, they will try and rape you in salary. But it's a good place to start, and they will have you sit in "the tank", doing nothing and getting paid, while your background is being checked.

There are quite a few jobs in the Arlington/Springfield/DC area, mostly contractors like I mentioned earlier. Also, Reston/Dulles area is a little farther West is booming with business and money. Just a short trip(without traffic) down Rte 66 and you're there, unless you plan to live out that way, which may be an option also. Cost of living in these areas is pretty high tho.

I don't have any resources to offer you at this time, but using the job sites you mentioned is a good start.

any more questions, let's here 'em.

good luck
    Wives are like jobs,

It's easier to find one when you already have one

I only have one piece of advice:

No. Virginia = AOL-ville
    L

Welcome to four more years of the most dangerous presidency in history.

hit washingtonpost.com, lots of listings for N. Va, DC, and MD.

if you plan to live near these areas you will pay top dollar for housing 250K+ for a house 1000+ per month to rent an appartment.

the further south you move the more you'll save on housing but your trading $$$ for commute time.

the market right now is extremely competitive thanks to the dot com implosion.

good luck
    "no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn"

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Anywho... I worked for Lockheed Martin for 6 years in Northern VA, they are a huge company and there are a lot of politics involved, but they have a deep budget and it's a good place to get your foot in the door. Downside...besides the politics(which are at every job), if you don't have a degree of some sort, they will try and rape you in salary. But it's a good place to start, and they will have you sit in "the tank", doing nothing and getting paid, while your background is being checked.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">yea i saw then and they are hiring like mad but it seemed to me that they wanted a BA... also i am probaly going to live in reston, fairfax area since my wife has a job in mclean. what some good temp agencies out there i ardy know of sapphire and manpower are there anyothers that you recomend?

KING i found out that AOL is there.. if need be i will work for them. BUT that is a last case bassis. i dont think i would last long with AOL i would feel like i was the only real TECH working for them

good looks on the washington post i have checkit every now and then....
    thank for the replies anymore info would be apprecated
    Impounded impressions of aggressive democracy see lil need to help poverty/
    A land of freedom? Of wealth? Of justice?
    I fear not for me, but for my children to wake up and see, that I am nothing but a slave
    In modern society

Internet Linebacker

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by n8dawg:
    <strong>KING i found out that AOL is there.. if need be i will work for them. BUT that is a last case bassis. i dont think i would last long with AOL i would feel like i was the only real TECH working for them</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">AOL does pay damn good money & have a hell of a benefits package. If I had any interest in working in the city, AOL would be the first place I'd try. Evil Empire or not.