[RESOLVED] UD Cancer Research

Thread: [RESOLVED] UD Cancer Research

SLASH1

Resolved [RESOLVED] UD Cancer Research

I have gambled that this "Tech to Tech" forum draws most of us together as a people with a common interest in life.

Due to an early questioning of my motives by numerous peps to offer my corporate contacts, abilities and qualifications I decided to watch and not participate in this forum for several years now and have rarely asked a question or responded.

Until now! I just learned this past weekend that my ex-mother-in-law will die of cancer in the next 1 to 4 months of basically , liver cancer. There is nothing that can be done at this stage!

I, as alot of you, joined UD several months ago and I would like to pass on my thanks to you. However, it's not enough!

There are millions of GOOD computers out there and sadly a vast majority are being use d to play games or surf the internet. There is less than 500,000 being used for UD cancer research!

We can change that! We have to! Can you or anyone you know say they haven't been touched by cancer? If you work for Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Circuit City, Sears, etc...or knows someone who does, why not try to get those so-called "caring" companies to give up some of their clock cycles?

I work for Tandy Computer Services. We have repair centers all over the world for in warranty repair for Compaq, HP, Sony, Fujitsu, Toshiba, and on and on! The main word here is "world". We own over 15,000 Radio Shacks all over the world. I am trying to get Radio Shack to put on every computer in every Radio Shack store the UD software and I will succeed!

Once I succeed at this I will have RS pressure Compaq, HP, Sony, etc,,, into doing the same! They will not be able to not do so!!

Check these stats the next time some company says it cares about people!

Microsoft CARES ABOUT HUMANITY?

A group of unknown individuals working together as a group under the team name of TEAM WINDRIVERS vs Microsoft -----

Windrivers has 465 members versus Microsofts 194?

We have 3,326,978 points versus 1,716,898 points from MS????? In essence Windrivers.com is blowing away the most successful company in the world in helping mankind fight cancer - - what's wrong with this picture?

Tandy owns over 15,000 Radio Shacks all over the world. Each one of the stores has at least a Pentium III connected through a VPN network to our corporate headquarters in Fort Worth, TX and thus the web.

Nothing against Windrivers but I will not rest until I know that so many computers are working on such a great cause! Please do the same! Please, I ask you to do the same? Every company you know and walk into to, ask them if they know of UD!!! On a daily basis, ask your grocery store, where you buy gas, etc,, it's amazing at how many computers sit idle with access to the net and do NOTHING worthwhile!!!

I'm through ranting! I've sat by and said nothing for years so now I will! Windrivers guys are some of the best people I've ever witnessed in life and I mean that! I beg you to push and expose people to UD at every opportunity!

SLASH

but you have not explained (to me at least) what UD is.... and how "it" helps!

MODS: i wondered if this post might be better moved to tech lounge??

cheers
    Mr Miyagi, by any other name... (is this sig short enough?)

Sorry to hear that about your mother in law.

UD=united devices

Since I'm going to leave my computer on 24/7 for other reasons, might as well run the program.

BTW...the tech-to-tech forums are for more technical issues. Put this on the tech lounge and you'll get a lot more replies.

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar

Originally posted by Mr Myagi:
    but you have not explained (to me at least) what UD is.... and how "it" helps!

MODS: i wondered if this post might be better moved to tech lounge??

cheers
    UD stands for united devices which is a program sorta like seti@home, in that it downloads a work unit and uses your spare clock cycles to work to find a cure for cancer. Go to http://www.intel.com/cure to find out more and download this program, every bit of help you can provide helps. Get it, tell your friends to get it, tell your family to get it.
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

if there's somesort of internet connection, how do they guarantee that "someone" wont come on my machine and "do weird things" on it?

Darren Wilson

if there's somesort of internet connection, how do they guarantee that "someone" wont come on my machine and "do weird things" on it?

Use a Firewall Andy.

you can get a free one from http://www.zonelabs.com

Errr ... don't you already take that risk just connecting and downloading email and surfing?

1. UD connection is quick and dirty ... not a constant connection.

2. I doubt that Intel (a major sponsor) would have anything to do with it if it weren't as safe as surfing or retrieving email.

It's for a nobel cause. The last letter that came from UD stated the following:

More than 382,000 members have signed up, contributing more than 562,000 computers to participate in the UD program. Since the project’s launch on April 3rd, we have generated more than 85,000,000 computer processing hours. To accomplish this with a one single PC this would take 9,703 years or 3,541,667 days.

Veni, vidi, quiesco sum.
    "We came, We saw, We lazed around"

Originally posted by RoccoSiffredi:
    Use a Firewall Andy.

you can get a free one from http://www.zonelabs.com
    just downloaded it:
    as u got cable too, is there any config issues i need to resolve...?