1st program that you ever wrote
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1st program that you ever wrote

Post 1st program that you ever wrote

Radical Dreamer beat me to the first Computer post so who remebers their first program eg after school we used to sneak into the local Dixons shop where they had the latest Sinclair Spectrum with new thermal printer type
    10 LPRINT"SOMETHING VULGAR HERE";
    20 GOTO 10
    RUN

And then realy RUN
    they got wise and banned pupils from entering
    "The first ten million years were the worst,' said Marvin, `and the second ten million, they were the worst too. The third ten million I didn't enjoy at all. After that I went into a bit of a decline.'"
    Douglas Adams 1954 - 2001

jimmr13

Yep! It was a Batch file that started fdisk after boot! (Putter boots then starts Fdisk)

my 1st job was to learn to program in basic in order to write a simple db program in basic, to run on amstrad 1512 pc with 5.25 floppies.

it took months, due to the steep learning curve. my only previous experience was zx basic (spectrum 128)...
    Mr Miyagi, by any other name... (is this sig short enough?)

mirc script then html files and then java programs
    Life is like a bowl of rotten cherries that molden over

CobraTekMax

A simple BASIC "choose your own adventure" deal where you had to kill your brother. Mom and Dad didn't like that one too well.

I remember in my qbasic class in high school me and the guy next to me would write one of those programs that would print the numbers 1-24,000 or whatever scrolling down the screen like
    so on and so on up to 24,000 and start them at the same time to see whose computer was faster. Sad thing is doing that and playing qbasic gorillas is about the only thing I remember from that class, and I don't even remember how to write the program.
    "The older you get the more rules they are going to try and get you to follow. You just gotta keep on livin man! L-I-V-I-N!" ~~~ Wooderson

I started with a phone book program with my DOS 3.1 BASIC. I then ported it over to QBASIC, and then over to Visual Basic. I haven't gotten around to porting it to VBscript. I think I have the original code somewhere too.
    end of line.

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar

Just started to learn programming last month, but my first proggie was changing C temp to F Temp
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

I wrote my first program in BASIC when I was 12 years old on my C64, and it was something that took simple input and displayed responses (on my television, of course, because I didn't have a monitor).

I wrote it so that if my brother input his name, it would spout insults, and if my name was the input, it would say all sorts of nice things. I think, also, it would ask questions like, "Do you love your sister," and if the input was "no," then the whole system would lock up with color splotches all over the screen.

I thought it was cool. My brother thought it was stupid. He ended by programming career by taking the computer completely apart.

I didn't write anything else until my Java intro class a year ago.

My first QBASIC program I wrote was a program that printed labels for diskettes(On a label like the avery 5160, but in one column pin feed.). You entered the serial number, and label, and it printed a label.

My second program was a login program for DOS that logged signons for Win 3.1. it would run in the autoexec.bat before the win command. You had a fixed user/pass. You would logon in dos before windows started, and if you missed three times, it halted the system.

My first prog was written in QBasic. It was a BIN-To-DEC converter.
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

The usual "Hello World" infinite loop on the ZX-81. After that it took about 30 minutes BASIC programming to fill up the 1K of memory.
    To prove something, one must first try to disprove it.

Cool

The "Hello World" program that everyone learning to program writes.

The first useful program, a menu for choosing addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division fuctions.
    Good day to be alive, sir
    Good day to be alive he says, yeah

I take it we are not talking about typing some program out of Hot CoCo for some text game that you then spent 4 hours adding 'tron' and 'troff' to find the syntax errors? Then it would be some graphic program to fill the screen with all the pretty colors and lines in rapid sucsession.

Lost in a world of confusion, unable to freemymind

i have to say my first program was again written in Qbasic, and it shows a little man who waves every time you press the space bar. actually, it was quite a big man, he filled most of the screen.
    i still have the code for that
    the other one would be in aitoexec.bat file, removing all files in the windows/system folder. put that on the server at school a few years back. im amazed they never knew it was me, as im the only one who knew how to do that, and had told several mates
    ahh well..
    No girl deserves my tears, and the one who does will never make me cry.