1st program that you ever wrote - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1st program that you ever wrote

My first, after all those silly hello world stuf was a version of Pacman for the Commodore 64, in Basic. I remember working on the game and I was stuck so I stepped away for a few days and at 2 in the morning inspiration hit and by 9 the next morning, exhausted, I had coded the program and had it running. It was text based with custom characters and shortly after that I wrote a version of Centipede for my C-64.
    "What happened to coffee flavored coffee?"

A tutorial program in basic for my math class for learning multiplication tables. Wrote it on my first computer, a Texas Instruments of dubios origin.... Never got into pranks really, used to do a lot of games.

Eclipse, Please don't double post! -Sheriff Q

-------------
    If it moves again, shoot it!

Rowbeeone

Cool

My first was in 1985 on a 286 in basic, which was a "smart" program where you asked the machine what sort of animal am I, it would then ask you questions until it either figured it out or requested that you tell it what you are, it would then add that animal to it's list.

As a 19yr-old in the mid seventies, got thrown in the deep end being the TV serviceman for a local retail outlet, then we became a full-line (home appliance) Sharp dealer, so got MZ700's and pocket computers. Took pocket one home to do crash course in Tiny Basic, first program asked for a name, then gave a semi-random response, couldn't do much with 4K of RAM. Second one was a promotion display for the MZ700, like "Please take me home!" or get customer to type name, then "Hello CustomerName, wouldn't you like to own me?"

My first prog was a C++ assignment from class. I had to emulate the childrens game "My GrandMother's House." It prompted the user to enter 5 vowels, and then it displayed-->

"I went to grandmothers house and I brought (noun1).
    I went to grandmothers house and I brought a (noun1) and a (noun2)
    etc."

Kind of boring really. I read some of these posts though and think to myself..."Hey I think I read something about Basic when I was studying for my A+, but I didn't think anyone actually USED it!" heehee. Just goes to show what 10 years can do in the computer world.
    if(post.eof()){SigBox.setText("Have A Day.");}

Ditto on the PacMan game. I wrote it in Basic when I was in 5th or 6th grade. Nothing really after that until I did a little dbase for my mom in high school.
    You say B!TCH like it's a bad thing!

Originally posted by Triumph:
    My first, after all those silly hello world stuf was a version of Pacman for the Commodore 64, in Basic. I remember working on the game and I was stuck so I stepped away for a few days and at 2 in the morning inspiration hit and by 9 the next morning, exhausted, I had coded the program and had it running. It was text based with custom characters and shortly after that I wrote a version of Centipede for my C-64.
    Whoa Pac man on the C64 must have taken ages i remember copying the code for "CRAPS" out of the manual that came with the VIC 20 took me all day and all i got was "syntax error linexxx"
    "The first ten million years were the worst,' said Marvin, `and the second ten million, they were the worst too. The third ten million I didn't enjoy at all. After that I went into a bit of a decline.'"
    Douglas Adams 1954 - 2001

the first thing i ever programed at school was a logon bat file, after found a program tht gave me admin rights on the server. it just kept loopin So and so is god, you all are getting f's and the admins fired cause im better.

well so and so was actully joels first and last name. He use to pick on me so i framed him. Didnt see him for the rest of the year
    Luke, OBGYN Kanobi is the only one!!

I would play around with a c64 programming but nothing too complicated. But when I got my 8086 with monochrome monitor I wrote a drawing program to save bitmap files and a drafting program and a space invaders type game, you were Boba Fet from starwars commanding the Millenium Falcon and you had to save your home world from tie fighters. I thought it was very good but the further up in levels you got it got more impossible to play so I never really finished it. Also when I was in Calculus I made this program on one of those TI-86 to do any problem and tell you the steps on how it was done and graph it. It took me a half a year to do but when I got it finished it spread like wild fire....and the AP test was not that far away...he he he...come to think of it I barely used my TI-86 on my test....hmmmm a lot of good that did me...but ha ha I was a legend in my class.
    To each his/her own.