Black & White - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Black & White

OK, so I was walking around Fry's electronics (jimmr's favorite place) - and saw they had B&W on sale for $29.99 US.

So, being how I'm easily influenced, I bought a copy. So upon starting the game, it goes through the hokey intro - move the mouse, click this, click that.

Anyway, I got to the point where the villagers finish the temple, and it tells me to click the action (right mouse) button to enter the temple. That's when the monitor freezes (but the sound is still playing normally).

Any suggestions ?????
    This space for rent.

OK, I have seen enough posts about this game so I will buy it. But like anyother game that I have it will probably be for sale it 2 weeks.

<h1>YAY!!!!</h1>

I finally got it to work! And yes indeed, it's the crappy SafeDisc 2 that was the problem. I installed a no-cd hack, and it runs perfectly. (House Party also works AFTER I use a no-cd hack)

And I found it's soooooooo much easier to be evil than good.

Nothing like tossing around some rocks and/or villagers and blowing up their towns with fireballs and lightning to get my point across.

Originally posted by Captain Packrat:
    <h1>YAY!!!!</h1>

I finally got it to work! And yes indeed, it's the crappy SafeDisc 2 that was the problem. I installed a no-cd hack, and it runs perfectly. (House Party also works AFTER I use a no-cd hack)

Nothing like tossing around some rocks and/or villagers and blowing up their towns with fireballs and lightning to get my point across.
    Captain - I'm trying to get B&W working, also. Where did you find the no-cd crack ??
    This space for rent.

CobraTekMax

And much more fun. Being good might be more challenging, but it's boring as hell. I bought this game to be a wrathful, fear-instilling god, not some heavenly lackey for a bunch of ingrateful mortals!

My favorite evil moment thus far is when the woman in land one asks for your help finding her sick brother. I like to find the brother, kill him, then drop his body in front of her. "I FOUND HIM!" Then I smash her house with rocks.

I've gone completely evil, but my cow is good. She now knows food, rain, wood, and heal, and likes to help people.

So I send the cow off to the other end of the island, blast the village to smithereens, then have the cow come back and help the people rebuild. Then we start the cycle all over again!

And I now have no qualms at all about human sacrifice, and have learned that children give you the most energy. Make a bunch of breeders, and you'll have an infinite supply of energy for blasting the hell out of your neighbors.

You just have to be careful not to completely wipe out a village, or you might have some problems....

Originally posted by MadDog:
    Captain - I'm trying to get B&W working, also. Where did you find the no-cd crack ??
    DITTO!! Please let me know too!! Oh and MadDog, when the game freezes your getting the RUNBLACK error. Hit ALT-TAB and then enter. I get that alot too and I'm not sure why...I've tried the suggestion of copying the music folder the B&W folder...but still no go. I need to No-CD Crack as well.

I'm trying to be good because it's more challenging. But I'm not sure how long I'm going to last that way. There's just too much fun stuff I could be doing if I was evil. My Ape likes to throw his crap at trees...if only it wasn't considered evil to toss it at my lazy villagers.....
    Donegal Sixth Brigade
    Scrappin' clanners off the bottom of our mech's feet.

Originally posted by SNAFU:
    DITTO!! Please let me know too!! Oh and MadDog, when the game freezes your getting the RUNBLACK error. Hit ALT-TAB and then enter. I get that alot too and I'm not sure why...I've tried the suggestion of copying the music folder the B&W folder...but still no go. I need to No-CD Crack as well.

I'm trying to be good because it's more challenging. But I'm not sure how long I'm going to last that way. There's just too much fun stuff I could be doing if I was evil. My Ape likes to throw his crap at trees...if only it wasn't considered evil to toss it at my lazy villagers.....
    I think I already tried ALT-ENTER, but it didn't do anything. I did read a review of the game that said have a bad god, but a good creature. That way you can smite the people, and the creature will fix it. Builds a lot of worshippers... Of course, I'd try it, if I can ever get the *%&^^&& %$@($#&$^ game to work...

And, I also filed a trouble report with EA, detailing the problem I'm having with B&W. I did this last Friday night, and haven't gotten a response yet. I'll post it if it's anything good.....
    This space for rent.

Originally posted by MadDog:
    I think I already tried ALT-ENTER, but it didn't do anything. I did read a review of the game that said have a bad god, but a good creature. That way you can smite the people, and the creature will fix it. Builds a lot of worshippers... Of course, I'd try it, if I can ever get the *%&^^&& %$@($#&$^ game to work...
    Yeah, you won't see anything when you push ALT-ENTER. What it does is (Because the vid is frozen) is highlight the error (which, again, you won't see), and then when you push ENTER, it'll boot you to your desktop. Its a pain, but it'll prevent you from having to restart your computer. (BTW...do you have a VIA Chipset w/ an SB live card?)

I also just read that if you use the No CD Crack, that you can only play online multi-player games!! IS THIS TRUE?!?!
    Donegal Sixth Brigade

Originally posted by SNAFU:
    Yeah, you won't see anything when you push ALT-ENTER. What it does is (Because the vid is frozen) is highlight the error (which, again, you won't see), and then when you push ENTER, it'll boot you to your desktop. Its a pain, but it'll prevent you from having to restart your computer. (BTW...do you have a VIA Chipset w/ an SB live card?)

I also just read that if you use the No CD Crack, that you can only play online multi-player games!! IS THIS TRUE?!?!

I have a VIA chipset, but a plain SB AWE 64 (ISA) card. I still here the sound, just the video freezes....
    This space for rent.

There are two major hacks available that will fix most of the problems.

The first is Defroster. Use this if you can start B&W, but it crashes in use. Defroster

The second is the No-CD patch. Use this if B&W won't even start. No-CD Patch

You can also try here for more help.

I should point out that those are not official patches, and are not supported by anyone. If they work, great, if they don't, oh well.

There are two major hacks available that will fix most of the problems.

The first is Defroster. Use this if you can start B&W, but it crashes in use. Defroster

The second is the No-CD patch. Use this if B&W won't even start. No-CD Patch

You can also try here for more help.
    Thanks for the links. The No-CD Patch link didn't work. For me anyway.
    Donegal Sixth Brigade

CobraTekMax

Good lord it takes forever to teach a creature the Megablast miracle...

Angry

You guys suck.....I have the game and no pc....flippin Wd HD's
    "Is a dream a lie, if it don't come true?" -Springsteen