Is anyone reading a book series??
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone reading a book series??

Post Is anyone reading a book series??

Ok, I tried posting it earlier but the cable took a crap and I couldnt get it back.

About 10 years ago I started reading this book series, The Wheel of Time. At the time I started reading it, the author had finished book 4.... (and still have yet to figure how many books it will go up to!!!!)

I recently restarted reading that series because I found out they were up to book 9 (with the hopes book 10 will be done either this year or next). If I find out that book 10 isnt the last one, I think I may have to go ballistic on the author!! LOL

Has anyone experienced this similar thing with a book series? Has anyone read this series?

It seems the valuable lesson I learned was "Do NOT start a series until it is done or almost done"
    If it aint broke, TWEAK it!
    When in doubt, throw it out!!

I like to read series... I'll normaly only pick them up once they are done... So wheel of time is going to wait until that last book is publised..

Other than that, One ever expanding series i USED try and keep up to date on is the DrangonLance Saga.. Just too many books now.

Other than that, I've read..

Lord Of the Rings
    The DeathGate Cycle (Margrette Weis and Tracy Hickman)
    The Belgariad (David Eddings)
    The Malloreon (David Eddings)
    Magician Aprentice/Master, Silverthorn and A Darkness at Sethanon - Unofficialy called the Riftware saga (Raymond E. Feist)
    Serpentwar Saga (Raymond E. Feist)

I've also read most of the books writing by Micheal Chricton
    Found in the Underground...

I read these two you mentioned..The Belgariad and
    The Malloreon (David Eddings).

I read the Mallorean right after the Belgariard and David Eddings wasnt done with the final book of the Mallorean (at the time...). I had to wait another year before that freaking book came out!!

Talk about someone anxious to get that book!! The final book out of a 10 book series. (Ok, actually two series...)

I am constantly reading and rereading the Eternal Champion series by Michael Moorcock, Dragon Lance, The Sword Dancer series by Jennifer Roberson. I just started The Eugenics War by Gary Cox. It's the history of Khan Noonian Singh.

Another series, that no one seems to mention, is The Morgaine Saga by C. J. Cherryh. From the back cover:

The Gates were relics of a lost era. The Union Science Bureau surmised that they had once linked a whole network of civilizations throughout the galaxy-an empire rules by a ruthless race known as the qhal. This qhal empire had spanned both Space and Time, for thier Gates warped time, enabling qhal travelers to step from poin to point across light-years unaged. It was even possible to travel into the future. However intervention in backtime could affect entire worlds and civilizations, could change the course of galactic history, could destry empires and possibly even emplode time itself...and this was what the Science Bureau believed had happened-sometime, somewhere in the unreachable past, an arrogant power-drunk qhal had done the unthinkable, and warped the very fabric of space and time.

Morgain. Pale in coloring and as tall as the tallest men, it seems clear that this mysterious traveler is a decendant of the long-vanquished qhal. Aided by a single warrior honor-bound to server her, it is her mission to travel from world to world sealing the acient Gates whose very existence threatens the integrity of the universe. But wil she have the power to follow her quest to its eventual conclusion-to the Ultimate Gate or the end of time itself?

The first and the fourth book are by far the best. Book one introduces Morgaine and the man who comes to serve her, Vanye. Over the course of the books, he overcomes an inherited fear of qhal to respect and eventually love her. The Fourth book is very sad for many reasons..go read to find out what I mean.

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0886778778/ref=pd_sim_books/102-1716084-8171355" target="_blank">http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0886778778/ref=pd_sim_books/102-1716084-8171355</a>
    "There is always a need for intoxication: China has opium, Islam has hashish, the West has woman."
    André Malraux
    (1901-1976)

"Don't let worry kill you -- let the church help."

I am forced to read books in a series...

History 151...History 152...

Bio 101... Bio 102

(_|_) I AM EDITED BY WEBHEAD (_|_)

Book?
    They still make those?

I have been reading the DragonLance books for years.... well it usually takes me a while to finish a book when i get busy so...

Let's see, I recently read Jack Whyte's "Eagles Brood" series. Six volumes (and I do mean VOLUMES) of historical novel documenting a fantasy-free version of the rise of Camulod and the generations from Roman occupation to Arthur. This was an utterly fantastic read....

Also read Kim Stanley Robinson's "Mars" series.

The Gear's "People of...."

William Sarabande's "First Americans"

Tolkien's "The Hobbit" and "Lord of the Rings"

Not a series, but everything by Sheri S. Tepper....
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

Home: Eagle River, Alaska Work: Chukchi Sea Alaska

Just finished the Dune prequal. Not bad, but how do you improve on the original series (well the first 4 books anyway)?
    I only post using 100% recycled electrons!!!

Stay on the bomb run, boys. I'm going to get them doors open if it hair lips everybody on Bear Creek.

I'm a big fan of the Forgotten Realm series. I've finished about 25 books from that series, have three sitting on my desking waiting to be read, and who knows how many more to go. I think I read all the books on Drizit, the 6 or so covering the Druid Home series, a few on E and some on the Harpers. Those books are very adictive.
    Tech Handbook Filling your computer needs.

Oh, man, Taz, I've got to agree with you! I have read a lot of sci-fi and epic fantasy, and foolishly began the "Wheel of Time," too. Having started my educational career as an English Major, my opinion of Jordan [and his publishing company] has spiraled down with each new release in the series.

He started out with a good story, good characters, and nice style. Then, because a large readership was developing, he/they started whoring the story...drag it out as long as possible, make as much money as possible. Have you noticed how each new release tells less and less, dragging on forever? He's writing on a formula, now. He's become a hack! I'm guessing the series will go to fifteen...I think he has his eye on a second house in Aspen, and wants to pay for it up front!

[Having said that, I've got so much time invested, I'll have to keep reading them....!]

Series I read? LOTR, over and over again, C.S. Lewis "Space Trilogy" beginning with "Out of the Silent Planet." True classic. I will suggest [since I haven't seen anyone refer to it] The "Dragonbone Chair" trilogy by Tad Williams. Very well done.
    "Qui me amat, amat et canem meum."

[quote]Originally posted by IT Len:
    <strong>I'm guessing the series will go to fifteen...I think he has his eye on a second house in Aspen, and wants to pay for it up front!

[Having said that, I've got so much time invested, I'll have to keep reading them....!]

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Tell me you just didnt say 15!!!

Tell me you JUST DIDNT SAY 15!!!!

It is official. I am going to meet Robert Jordan and beat his a$$!!!

I own and have read every book published for the forgotten realms, The newest book about Drizzt and friends is sitting on my desk waiting to be read. Have to finish The Queen of the Damned first.

I have also read most of the Wheel of Time books but really couldn't get into the charcters. going to try that series again.

[quote]Originally posted by Tazdrummer:
    [QB]
    About 10 years ago I started reading this book series, The Wheel of Time.QB]<hr></blockquote>

Oh man, I love that series. The only problem is I only got about halfway through either book 7 or 8 and my sister took it away from me and gave it to one of her friends to read because I was taking forever to finish it.

I loved Jordan's writing in the books. It was really good. Maybe I'll finish one day...
    "If there's a better use for the Internet, I haven't found it."
    -Homer Simpson

Well i've been reading Stephen King's Dark Tower series for the past ten years at least, and its still only up to book four, with an inital outline of around seven books. Stunningly good though and not at all like his horror genre of books. Well recommended.

UPDATE: Just been on SK's website and he's promising to release the three remaining books of the series at the same time. ETA is two years - i've waited 10, i can wait another 2 i guess!

Another series i'm reading is Orson Scott Card's Ender series. This started as a Triliogy but is now upto six books i think (i'm missing the fifth but have the sixth...grrr!). While the Ender series is also very good, the first book 'Enders Game' was the best and is an absolutely cracking sci-fi read. Of course, have read the Space Oddysey series from Arthur C. Clarke, very good also.
    orange

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning -+- Rich Cook