Redhat Woes!

Thread: Redhat Woes!

Red face Redhat Woes!

OK... A few months ago I asked what was going to happen to a older computer because I wanted to install linux on it just to compare it to windows and learn a little about it. My boss replied not to mess with linux. Me, being a little put off at his response, thought:

"I'll install an extra hard drive and install linux on my computer at work. Then I'll see if I can set it up as a dns server. (My justification was that our main server is a dns/file/application server which could possibly become overloaded sometime within this year, and the linux dns server might relieve this a little.)"

Well I finally get around to doing it, but I have a few minor problems. Nothing too hard to fix except for the X server configuration with the monitor and video card.

This morning, I tried running xconf to configure the X server. As soon as I start, computer problems start coming. I'm talking almost all the tellers not being able to work. I reboot my machine back to Windows to fix some of these problems. I started to have a little down time this afternoon, so I thought I'd give linux another try.

Yet again, as soon as I boot into linux and start xconf, people start calling with problems. This time I leave linux running and go to a different machine. My boss comes in the area where my desk is and asks me to come with him to look at another computer. I go with him and lo-and-behold, the PC5250 emulation program we use to access the AS/400 isn't coming up with the bank's program. It's coming up with a LINUX LOGON TO MY COMPUTER. BUSTED!!!!!

Immediately I go to my computer and shut it down by pushing the power button to turn it off not really caring at this point if I damaged the linux filesystem. Somehow instead of staying off my computer reboots.... BACK TO LINUX. I was halfway finished fixing everyone's problems when this happened and screwed everyone up again!!!

This time when I shut the computer down I make sure it boots into DOS. I then had to ask my boss to unlock my user account on the AS/400. When he did he bluntly told me again not to run linux, and he added something under his breath that I think had the word administrator in it.

I have no clue why linux was screwing up the emulation program for everyone. But I'm sure as hell not going to run it again.... at least not connected to the network . Seriously, I probably won't attempt linux at work again.

Sorry this is so long. One question though... Does anyone know how to erase linux and LILO off of the system. I have two hard drives with Windows on one and Linux on the other. LILO is on the Windows drive though. I can't simply remove the linux drive because that messed up LILO, nor can I wipe the linux hard drive clean because of the same reason. Any help would be great.
    "I have plenty of talent and vision. I just don't give a damn."

Potential Bumper Sticker: "Wiggle your mouse, it's just a screensaver."

As an AS/400 Admin, I know for a fact that PC5250 emulation does work with some of the Telnet Ports. I know if I shut down the Telnet service on my AS/400, it kills the emulation. If it almost sounds like you inadvertantly named your linux box the AS/400 name or somewhere in the linux DNS the entry for the AS/400 got pointed to the linux box.

[quote]Originally posted by Sheriff Q:
    <strong>As an AS/400 Admin, I know for a fact that PC5250 emulation does work with some of the Telnet Ports. I know if I shut down the Telnet service on my AS/400, it kills the emulation. If it almost sounds like you inadvertantly named your linux box the AS/400 name or somewhere in the linux DNS the entry for the AS/400 got pointed to the linux box.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Funniest, well maybe strangest thing is, all I've done to the linux box was turn it on and run xconf. That's it. Never even got to try the dns bit. I might've screwed something up in the install though.

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar

All you have to do to get rid of linux is rewrite the master boot record and format the drive that linux is on. If it is on a partiton then you will have the rewrite the mbr and then format the partiton and then use something like partiton magic to merge the partitons. If you cannot obtain partiton magic then you are going to have to kill all partitons and format and then re create one partiton. Hope it helps
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

[quote]Originally posted by Radical Dreamer:
    <strong>All you have to do to get rid of linux is rewrite the master boot record and format the drive that linux is on. If it is on a partiton then you will have the rewrite the mbr and then format the partiton and then use something like partiton magic to merge the partitons. If you cannot obtain partiton magic then you are going to have to kill all partitons and format and then re create one partiton. Hope it helps</strong><hr></blockquote>

OK... Few questions...

1. The mbr is on my Windows hd, but linux is on the second hd. So I just need to rewrite the mbr, and fdisk/format the linux hd, right?

2. How do you rewrite the mbr?

Dont know if it will work with your problem but when I dumped Mandrake off of my system I fdisk/mbr and all was ok. I had a dual boot with 98. Then the system booted up to 98 without a hitch. Well I had to repartition and format the Non-Dos partitions that was made by Mandrake too.
    *Edited by Sowulo*

Thanks to A d e p t for the avatar!!!!

Im done here

Thank you.

You should be fine by just format c: on the Linux HD and Fdisk /mbr on the Windows machine. This will work fine as long as you didn't have a dual boot on the first hard drive to begin with.
    The Artisan formerly known as A+Tech.

I got it to work.... Thanks again to everyone for helping.

I say f**k Linux. Just install Win2K Server. It's much easier to use and 99.99% more compatable with anything. Linux is a bloated, overated OS. I will admit that it is very solid but so is Win2K Server.

Linux = Headache

[quote]Originally posted by opiate:
    <strong>Linux is a bloated, overated OS.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hmmm, seems oddly like another I know but I think the one in my case has more evidence of that 10 fold.
    The Artisan formerly known as A+Tech.

[quote]Originally posted by Aplustech:
    <strong>

Hmmm, seems oddly like another I know but I think the one in my case has more evidence of that 10 fold.</strong><hr></blockquote>

WTF are you saying?

Before I forget...Nice Red Rug!

[quote]Originally posted by opiate:
    <strong>I say f**k Linux. Just install Win2K Server. It's much easier to use and 99.99% more compatable with anything. Linux is a bloated, overated OS. I will admit that it is very solid but so is Win2K Server.

Linux = Headache</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, Win2k is more user friendly but it costs 500-1000 bucks whereas Linux doesn't. But you only have to worry about that if you're trying to stay legit at your workplace. Yeah the TCO may even out with the initial purchase of Win2k server but thats something my boss doesn't look at and many bosses I have observed from when I use to do onsite work.

Tony
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)

[quote]Originally posted by thirdfey:
    <strong>

Yeah, Win2k is more user friendly but it costs 500-1000 bucks whereas Linux doesn't. But you only have to worry about that if you're trying to stay legit at your workplace. Yeah the TCO may even out with the initial purchase of Win2k server but thats something my boss doesn't look at and many bosses I have observed from when I use to do onsite work.

Tony</strong><hr></blockquote>

Good Point! I guess it all depends on your budget and knowledge of Linux vrs. Windows.