OK... A few months ago I asked what was going to happen to a older computer because I wanted to install linux on it just to compare it to windows and learn a little about it. My boss replied not to mess with linux. Me, being a little put off at his response, thought:

"I'll install an extra hard drive and install linux on my computer at work. Then I'll see if I can set it up as a dns server. (My justification was that our main server is a dns/file/application server which could possibly become overloaded sometime within this year, and the linux dns server might relieve this a little.)"

Well I finally get around to doing it, but I have a few minor problems. Nothing too hard to fix except for the X server configuration with the monitor and video card.

This morning, I tried running xconf to configure the X server. As soon as I start, computer problems start coming. I'm talking almost all the tellers not being able to work. I reboot my machine back to Windows to fix some of these problems. I started to have a little down time this afternoon, so I thought I'd give linux another try.

Yet again, as soon as I boot into linux and start xconf, people start calling with problems. This time I leave linux running and go to a different machine. My boss comes in the area where my desk is and asks me to come with him to look at another computer. I go with him and lo-and-behold, the PC5250 emulation program we use to access the AS/400 isn't coming up with the bank's program. It's coming up with a LINUX LOGON TO MY COMPUTER. BUSTED!!!!!

Immediately I go to my computer and shut it down by pushing the power button to turn it off not really caring at this point if I damaged the linux filesystem. Somehow instead of staying off my computer reboots.... BACK TO LINUX. I was halfway finished fixing everyone's problems when this happened and screwed everyone up again!!!

This time when I shut the computer down I make sure it boots into DOS. I then had to ask my boss to unlock my user account on the AS/400. When he did he bluntly told me again not to run linux, and he added something under his breath that I think had the word administrator in it.

I have no clue why linux was screwing up the emulation program for everyone. But I'm sure as hell not going to run it again.... at least not connected to the network . Seriously, I probably won't attempt linux at work again.

Sorry this is so long. One question though... Does anyone know how to erase linux and LILO off of the system. I have two hard drives with Windows on one and Linux on the other. LILO is on the Windows drive though. I can't simply remove the linux drive because that messed up LILO, nor can I wipe the linux hard drive clean because of the same reason. Any help would be great.