starting your own business

Thread: starting your own business

Question starting your own business

Hey Guys I'm currently unemployed, however I"m still in high school, so its not that big of a deal.

I worked as a tech for over a year part time, and am considering starting my own side business for home networking and repairs.

How much should i charge for services? (in canadian dollars)

I was thinking like setting a $100 minimum for home networking (plus the cost of parts)

etc.
    "Knowledge belongs in the hands of the people"

[quote]Originally posted by Auric:
    <strong>Hey Guys I'm currently unemployed, however I"m still in high school, so its not that big of a deal.

I worked as a tech for over a year part time, and am considering starting my own side business for home networking and repairs.

How much should i charge for services? (in canadian dollars)

I was thinking like setting a $100 minimum for home networking (plus the cost of parts)

etc.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I graduated H.S. in 2000 - And the only computer related job i had was pc sales at office max Well anyway I started my own on the side business and it was great, it gave my a lot of experience and real repair situations. Anyway, I charged very little, (I was young and inexperienced ) I charged $20/hour(US)for any and everything. I had to quit because I got to busy and couldn't keep up with being a kid

This would be more appropriate in the <a href="http://forums.windrivers.com/cgi-bin/forum3/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=40&SUBMIT=Go" target="_blank">Consultants Corner</a>

Nevertheless, I think that 100$ CAN for your experience (withouth any regard to the fact that you're still in high school) may be a bit much.

Do you have any credentials, certification or such which could justify such a price?

I charge 50$-60$ CAN for simple jobs like home networking, and my "official" position is network manager in a hospital (going on 3 years). I may not be charging much, but we are talking about residential customers here - who usually know you from word of mouth (friends of friends).

Sowulo would be a great help to you with this as he has been an independent consultant for some time.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar

[quote]Originally posted by adept:
    <strong>This would be more appropriate in the <a href="http://forums.windrivers.com/cgi-bin/forum3/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=40&SUBMIT=Go" target="_blank">Consultants Corner</a>

Nevertheless, I think that 100$ CAN for your experience (withouth any regard to the fact that you're still in high school) may be a bit much.

Do you have any credentials, certification or such which could justify such a price?

I charge 50$-60$ CAN for simple jobs like home networking, and my "official" position is network manager in a hospital (going on 3 years). I may not be charging much, but we are talking about residential customers here - who usually know you from word of mouth (friends of friends).

Sowulo would be a great help to you with this as he has been an independent consultant for some time.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I agree, $100 is a little too much, I would say around $40-$45
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

ok thanks guys i figured $100 was a lot, just wanted to get some input
    "Knowledge belongs in the hands of the people"

Never go with flat rates or you'll get jerked around. Hourly only with a 1 hour minimum

I'm still underpriced at $85(US) per hour but have already recorded my best year ever with 2 months to go. Never undersell yourself! Charge something within the normal range for your area. If you're too cheap prospective clients will think you're not as good as the others. Also, the higher I've raised my rates the fewer bad checks I've gotten. Probably just a coincidence but.....
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."