[RESOLVED] ASUS CD ROM

Thread: [RESOLVED] ASUS CD ROM

nikolas

Angry ASUS CD ROM

after couple of months getting new 36x ASUS CDROM, it won't work in Windows environment (with CD loaded of course)though it's recognized during POST (system boot up). Same experience I have with Wearnes 8x before.
    also, whenever i try to play games (non DOS) it just kick back to windows. F.Y.I.: Mainboard: Intel SE440BX2, 128Mb SDRAM, S3D Trio AGP 4 Mb. Someone has remedy for this?

Are you running it as a slave off the hard drive?
    Intel MB's like every thing to be in sequence, you have to use the primary IDE up first.
    An obstacle is something you see when you take your eyes off your goal.

nikolas

Red face

ups yes, quantum as primary master, cdrom as primary slave and then seagate as secondary master and maxtor as secondary slave. mind if u explain by "using primary IDE first"? thanks 4 ur reply anyway. anyone else that has any solution please???

I thought you were only running 1 hard drive on the primary master, with no device configured on the primary slave, and you were running the CD-ROM on the secondary IDE.
    Have you put in DOS drivers for the CD-ROM, by chance?

[This message has been edited by Eagle PC Diagnostech (edited December 07, 1999).]

nikolas

initially when i bought it, i don't even have to install the device driver for cdrom as i used the boot diskette. but when the problem arise, i've tried to install it with ASUS' and even with WEARNES' but still failed. I guess we never have to load these drivers both in autoexec and config isn't it? currently i've put 'rem' on every line denoting the loading of the cdrom driver

If you took the REM, off the the lines in config.sys and autoexec.bat, and booted to the command prompt only, Would you have a CDROM in the DOS enviroment?

nikolas

cdrom is recognized in both dos and windows. the matter is that it just won't read the disc inserted into it. the lamp blinks alright when we open the tray to put the disc in. with the disc in, clicking the cdrom icon in 'my computer' would bring up a small dialog box with only "retry" and "cancel" buttons. at control panel/system/device manager/cdrom, it is free from any "yellow exclamation marks". when i typed the 'dir' command, the respond is "INT 24 - something...." error. could this be the same symptom when we're having a bad floppy drive that can't read well any longer... could it be actually the problem is the optic eye rather than software side?

BUT when i test it on my friend's mainboard, it works just fine, play mp3 disc, games, audio/video.....just like a cdrom is used for... my friend's mainboard is ASUS P55T2P4 (HX Chipset - ASUS CDROM is more compatible with ASUS mainboard???)

It's not Unusual that a CDROM would work in one system, and not in another.
    I would say, try a different data cable first, and if it does the same thing, then you might as well replace the CDROM.
    I have good luck with the AOpen 48X CDROM's on that Mainboard. They run about $55 - 60.

nikolas

Unhappy

i've changed the data cable..from ASUS' to Intel's, I've even measured the length....looks like i really have a real bad luck...for the second time (my first was with wearnes 8x), anyway thanks for your support. cheers

Try to use this one in the CONFIG.SYS file:
    DEVICEHIGH =C:\CDROM\OriginalFlie.SYS /D:MSCD001 /P:170,15 /V

where
    /P:170,15 means Secondary onnection