[RESOLVED] CD-ROM will not read any cd-rom disks

Thread: [RESOLVED] CD-ROM will not read any cd-rom disks

College_guy

Unhappy CD-ROM will not read any cd-rom disks

I upgraded an older computer (IBM Aptiva 2159S7H) from Win95 to Win98. This system has the split media console which contains the floppy drive and the CD-ROM drive separate from the tower.
    The CD-ROM is an 8x Matsu****a CR-593.
    After the upgrade the CD-ROM drive worked okay. Then I ran the Microsoft Year 2000 Update CD-ROM and installed the Win98 year 2000 updates and Internet Explorer 5.0 off that CD-ROM. After that I received a fatal exception 0E message, and now the CD-ROM will not read any cd-rom disks that I have(even in DOS). It is recognized in the Device Manager as Working Properly.
    I can eject the cd-rom disks by right-clicking in Win98. The cables are plugged in securely, but I have TWO IDE controllers listed in the Device Manager: one is Intel 82371SB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
    and one is a Standard ESDI/IDE Controller.
    The CD-ROM is connected to the IDE controller listed as Standard.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Lightbulb

I would try a new cd rom drive just to rule it out. I have done things like this too and the drive could have been going and now is just gone. The two devices in device manager are normal.
    "You've been livin' on the razor's edge, since you began to shave...
    Make sure you live, you're a long time dead, cradle to the grave"-Motorhead

PastorKenn

Before you yank the CD, Is it in your config.sys (real mode)? Just wondering, I have had similar problem with one of my Aptiva's found putting it in real-mode cured the problem

Another thing you might want to try is to boot to safe mode. Go to device manager, hard drive controllers. Delete anything you see there then re-boot.
    It's possible that the error you got durring the update did not complete while making changes to the ide controllers. This will allow the update to finish itself.

I think you may have cofrrupted dome files in the upgrade.

boot with cd-rom support (floppy) and copy windows 98 Cab files to a folder (c:\w98inst)

in windows Run SFC.exe and restore cdfs.vxd from the cab files.