What is the best CD-R/CD-RW drive

Thread: What is the best CD-R/CD-RW drive

Post What is the best CD-R/CD-RW drive

I hate my HP CD-Writer Plus 8110i. HP has dropped it with no support under Win2K without buying a $30 piece of software and calling a 1-900 number to order it!

I'm looking for a IDE/Atapi one.

Darren Wilson

Plextor 12x10x32 BurnProof or TDK Cyclone. Both are fine under Win2K and fly like anything. Over 600 CD's burnt using these 2 drives under 2K in the space of a month and no failures yet.

I must agree with darren on the plextor , i have an 8x4x32x , and have sold many of them , and i just recently started getting 12x IDE plex's , they rock so hard...
    Life is good...sometimes...

I have a yamaha 16x in this system and am very happy with it. To me it's a toss up between the yamaha and the plextor.

Had a Plextor 12x10x32--worked great.
    Have a Yamaha 16x10x40--works great.

Not one coaster with either burning at full 12/16 with the cheapest unbranded media I can find--they say 8x on them but burn just fine at 16x. No problems overburning either.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

I think any CDRW with burnproof technology is good to get. (Plextor, TDK) Surf the web, read the reviews from site to site. MaximumPC is a good mag to read, too, for reviews. Technology moves so fast now, that tomorrow, anyone can emerge with the next best product.

I read a review on AOpen CDRW, and they were surprisingly positive. I can't remember what site though.

Check out the manufacturer's site & features: http://www.aopen.com/products/optica...crw1232Pro.htm
    Hey man! Hand me that thing. Not that thing! The other thing!!! You know, the thing!!!

Any Plextor!
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

Darren Wilson

Not very often I disagree with Sowulo or GirlGeek, but the 16x Yamaha I had for a week made more coasters than good discs and kept dropping itself down to 10x writing with media that was guarrenteed 16x compatiable. Maybe it was an iffy drive, but it done this on both 'On-The-Fly' & HDD backups. Even the with the BurnProof turned off, I never had a single coaster!!!! Then again I have never really liked Yamaha writers, but thats another story.

ultim8

got to say i found the yamaha to be a piece of junk. plextor 16x is the dogs dangleys not a single coaster out of it in over 500 discs,well worth the extra few quid

Thumbs up

Plextor is the Best (all models..)

Yamaha are very good too (as long as you don't run buying the latest model)

Most yamaha burners get much better after the first firmware

Thumbs up

no question, Plextor is the rolls royce of the burners but I want to break an arrow for my 8 x 4 x 32 Acer with 8M buffer IDE.
    Very good price, rock and roll with no underruns. Of course is backed up by a dual PIII system with 384m ram running W2K.
    Recently I've played with a 1gz Athlon with lots of cool gadgets and the 12x4x32 on WME and the baby just died out at the first CD burn leaving me convinced that the overall system performance/power is what really matter.

Thumbs up

Hewlett Packard is the only way to go!

Then again, it all comes down to the software. I will take nothing but Adaptec, and since Adaptec has stop providing w2k compliant software with HP drives, HP has started using a different software.

I'd still take HP anyday though. I've had one for a couple years now, and it has always worked!
    I'd rather be fly-fishing.....

I worked with Yamaha for two years...
    now TEAC, just wonderful!

Middle of Nowhere and 1 mile north, in Alberta, CANADA

I really like my HP, its been a good burner, i tried a sony before and it was a piece (might have just been that one drive) but none the less i went to hp, and i use nero, i've tried most of the software and really like nero
    Never let the facts get in the way of a carefully thought out bad idea!