[RESOLVED] Need help with Kenwood 52X drive

Thread: [RESOLVED] Need help with Kenwood 52X drive

samual_cc

Post Need help with Kenwood 52X drive

Okay this get complicated so here we go... I have a 333mhz K6-2 and Asus P5a mobo. I'm running like the very first version of Win95.
    I seem to have a driver conflict that seems screw up my IDE controllers (ie ! next to the ide controllers in the device manager). this seems to happen based on the changing of the seasons but whatever. The only solution was to reload Win95. I used to have an old 36x drive that was a real piece of junk, ( sometimes a 30 second spin up time!!!!, and horribly noisey my old 6x wearners drive was better) Okay anyway I decided it was time to upgrade... the 52X true drive seemed the best as its preformance would grow when I update to win98 and get DMA as an option. Okay but anyway I installed the drive and the same problem occured with my IDE controllers. So I want to reload windows but woops I have no drivers for the 52X and I have no clue how to make a boot disk to install a new OS. The old one a had only worked with the 36x drive. It uses a Cyberdrive driver or something like that. I got drivers for the Kenwood but I have no clue how to load them so I can reload win95. Its a real pain and I really don't want to have to put my old drive back in. Also any info one my my IDE controllers keep getting screwed up would be helpful. Windows says that some of my devices are using child or ms -dos drivers or whatever. How do I find out wich one so I can resovle the conflict. okay thanks....

current config

primary ide: master: 6.4 gig west digital slave : 2.1 gig west digital

secondary ide: master: kenwood 52x cdrom
    slave: 1.0 gig hard drive ( I will be removing that soon as it is really useless)

Thats it no other wierd things... though I'm not sure if its a good idea to have the Cdrom as the master on the secondary IDE controller but any help that anyone can give would be most well... helpful. Thanks

First of all, you are going to need a boot disk. Go to a friends' computer with a floppy, create a startup disk from Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel. After you have made the disk, boot with the disk on your computer. At the A:\ prompt, type "format c: /s". (Without the quotes). This will erase everything on the drive, reformat it and add the bootup files. Then you can reboot without the disk to the c:\ prompt. Then run the Kenwood CDROM install disk and reboot. Now you should have a CDROM drive. After you install Windows, you will need the IDE drivers from ASUS to straighten out your IDE controllers. If you still have conflicts on the primary and secondary controllers, you will need to check the registry for a NOIDE entry.
    It is under
    HKEY_Local_Machine
    System
    Current_Control_Set
    Services
    VXD
    IOS

If you find a NOIDE entry there, delete it, shut down regedit, windows and reboot.

Good Luck,

Charlie

[This message has been edited by CompuDocs (edited July 17, 1999).]
    "Oh Bother," said Pooh, as Windows crashed for the umpteenth time.