Education system- how messed up can you get?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Education system- how messed up can you get?

Post Education system- how messed up can you get?

I was talking to my father - in - law on the way home today about this country's education system (in the USA).

Now, to give you his background, he's from Aegentina. retired surgeon (one of the world's best, and I'm not just saying that) of about 45-50 yyears in the medical field.
    Is teaching a college course in a local community college, 'Spanish for the Medical field', teaching medical professionals how to speak Spanish to their patients.

He went on an interview at Oakhurst, NJ Elementary school to teach Spanish. Now, this school is a public school, in a middle class (lower-middle to middle-middle).

They were very impressed with his background. They practicly offered him a job. Guess what the pay was?

$35 a day!!!! (that he works, not paid for vacation & days off).
    Thats a whopping $6,300 a year (even if he got paid for all the days, that would only be $12,600 a year)...
    After 6 months, he'd get a raise to $50 a day (a little less than $24,000 a year).

Now, he could easily go to a large corperation as a translator and make double to triple the pay easily!

One of this country's bigges problem is education. We all know that. The government swears each election that "I will put more money towards education"! Bull!

OK, so the governments won't spend the money to allow schools to pay good teachers what they deserve (and I think thats a lot). Yet they're complaining how bad the education system is since there are no good teachers.

Well, if a student gets the crudentials to be a teacher, then is offered a whopping $25,000 / year (yes,I went high) as a teacher, but then XYZ corp will offer them $35,000/year as a corperate trainer. I'd say at least 9 out of 10 of them would pass on the school.

And I haven't even started on how messed up and one-sided the teachings in this country are...

Any thoughts?
    How is it in other countries for our international members?
    Live Free or Die

Never forget, never lose those who have been lost.

My Malinois is smarter than your honor roll student!

Thing is being a teacher is not a full time job. Looks like it but its not.

Although more money to the teachers may help bring great people who can teach to our kids.
    Perhaps the parents should also be stricter. But leaving this to the parents will not help since there are alot that don’t care or are to busy with work etc.. to see or discipline there kids.

See the reason why most other countries are better is that the parents (and law) make there kids goto school. We, I mean we as in Americans are not around our kids as much as we should. Trying to work and bring home food to our families is really more important. With the way our economy is going its harder and harder to see our kids.
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...uts/athlon.gif

Do you leak any fluids, do you have any bumps on your rear, do you have any unpleasant odors?
    If you answered yes to any of these then you are not qualified to own a new AMD ATHLON XP.
    If someone ask you if you are running the all-new fastest AMD ATHLON XP, just turn around and reply "WHY YES, AND ITS CERTIFIED"

http://www.daemonprojects.com/

Problem with the education system is parents not caring. The other part is politicians and the way they tax for schools and whether the money reaches the schools or not. Most schools receive fairly decent funding. Remember that Catholic schools can do the same job better for half of the $$$. However, in private schools all of the students have an will to learn and parents involved in getting the child educated. Public schools often have the worst thrown in with the best no due to outcomes based planning and the heterogeneous class so we don't TYPE anyone. We no make sure the brightest can not get a full education up to his/her speed so that Johnny dip$hit doesn't get his feelings hurt. This coupled with the fact that many older and or incompetent teachers are kept in place by unions/incompetent administrations, well you get the picture. Also factor in politicians pushing a social or religious agenda instead of finding a way to improve the lives of the students. The whole system is changing but not for the better always.

Still, with all of it’s problems you must realize that no matter how good or bad a school is you only get what you take. The brightest with good parents will always excel and the dumbest with parents who do not will fail. Education starts in the home.

[quote]Originally posted by Daemon:
    <strong>Thing is being a teacher is not a full time job. Looks like it but its not.

Although more money to the teachers may help bring great people who can teach to our kids.
    Perhaps the parents should also be stricter. But leaving this to the parents will not help since there are alot that don’t care or are to busy with work etc.. to see or discipline there kids.

See the reason why most other countries are better is that the parents (and law) make there kids goto school. We, I mean we as in Americans are not around our kids as much as we should. Trying to work and bring home food to our families is really more important. With the way our economy is going its harder and harder to see our kids.</strong><hr></blockquote>
    Man...I'm there every day, and I see what all these teachers do AND IT IS A FULLTIME JOB!!!! The teachers that care,like my wife, don't stop when the school bell rings.
    Volunteer to substitute at your local school and then come back here and post....in all the time I've posted here I've never been more f*ckin' p*ssed than I am NOW!!!!!!

[quote]Originally posted by shamus:
    <strong>
    Man...I'm there every day, and I see what all these teachers do AND IT IS A FULLTIME JOB!!!! The teachers that care like,my wife, don't stop when the school bell rings.
    Volunteer to substitute at your local school and then come back here and post....in all the time I've posted here I've never been more f*ckin' p*ssed than I am NOW!!!!!!

</strong><hr></blockquote>

My sister is a guidance counselor and on the New Hampshire board of Psychologists.

I'll admit, she doesn't have to have anywhere near the commitment that a teacher has, but she does have a big one.

While the kids are on vacation, you're grading papers. The first month of summer vacation, you're grading papers and getting reports done. The last month you're planning for the year.

Id say teachers are the #3 least appreciated unsung heroes of this country (probably the world, but I don't have too much internation experience with this...)

(#1 being fire fighters and rescue workers
    #2 being police officers)
    Live Free or Die

Never forget, never lose those who have been lost.

My Malinois is smarter than your honor roll student!

While I recognise that there really are teachers that care, down here, they are in the minority.

I used to spend a lot of time in schools, fixing this and that, and I can comfortably say, that 70% of the teachers, shouldnt have their jobs. They dont care, and they just arent interested in teaching a damn thing. They complain about money and conditions, and when they are improved, they complain more!

The education system in Australia stinks, and needs a severe overhaul.

It saddens me more than you know, that there are not more people like your wife, Shamus. People like her arent just 'teachers', they are Educators.

<strong>
    Man...I'm there every day, and I see what all these teachers do AND IT IS A FULLTIME JOB!!!! The teachers that care like,my wife, don't stop when the school bell rings.
    [email protected]

http://forum.hot4s.com.au - Hot 4's & Performance cars

[quote]Originally posted by EvilCabbage:
    <strong>It saddens me more than you know, that there are not more people like your wife, Shamus. People like her arent just 'teachers', they are Educators.

Thanks, NaughtyVeg. She Does RAWK!!! You calmed me down you Aussie...(actually all I could picture was the MonkeyBoy fiasco...you never did update your 'Who are you' pic) If your lucky I'll post a pic of her.....VERY lucky

<strong>
    Thanks, NaughtyVeg. She Does RAWK!!! You calmed me down you Aussie...(actually all I could picture was the MonkeyBoy fiasco...you never did update your 'Who are you' pic) If your lucky I'll post a pic of her.....VERY lucky

Heh, deal. I'll post a pic of me, for a pic of Mrs Shamus.

I'll even remove items of clothing for monetary gain....
    [email protected]

[quote]Originally posted by Draggar:
    <strong> Now, he could easily go to a large corperation as a translator and make double to triple the pay easily!</strong><hr></blockquote>

...or he could go back to work as a physician and make 5-10 times as much (if he's as good as you say he is).

L

Welcome to four more years of the most dangerous presidency in history.

[quote]Originally posted by EvilCabbage:
    <strong>

Heh, deal. I'll post a pic of me, for a pic of Mrs Shamus.

I'll even remove items of clothing for monetary gain....</strong><hr></blockquote>

you mates aren't dealin' with the EURO are ye?

<strong>

you mates aren't dealin' with the EURO are ye?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Nope. Financial suicide isnt a hobby of mine.
    [email protected]

I was a teacher in my province for a year and a half. In a private school. High school levels.

You know it's going to be bad when you start off the job and the employer starts discussing government programs to assist in paying your salary...

But investing yourself in others - there's nothing like it.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

[quote]Originally posted by adept:
    <strong>
    But investing yourself in others - there's nothing like it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

that IS the ticket my friend

[quote]Originally posted by adept:
    <strong>But investing yourself in others - there's nothing like it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I thought that was why I chose to be a tech and turned down those offers to run Microsoft when Bill and Paul bought out Seattle DOS back in the 70's....
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

I was an infantry instructor in the USMC, and I tell you, teaching those wacky kids the right way to kill brough a tear to my eye.
    Almighty Elbatcho Della Vente, Scurge von AOL, Tyrant von NT, Huhn des Schulegeländes, großartiger hinterer Viceroy Admiral der oberen nordöstlichen südlichen Zustand Widder K-Auto Kategorie des bedwetting Auslesesuperschutzes der Eastwestern Grafschaften, des Spam deathlord des Spam'o'knights, des Spacemonkey und des stolzen Inhabers von 250 mindestens meine kleinen Ponies