[RESOLVED] Installing a CD-Rom on a 486!!

Thread: [RESOLVED] Installing a CD-Rom on a 486!!

Harry

Resolved [RESOLVED] Installing a CD-Rom on a 486!!

I can't install a Panasonic 563 CD-Rom on my Dell 486. I first installed the Packard Bell mutlimedia card with Cd-Rom Controller and assigned an i/o address of 330. Then I ran the CD-ROM driver (got it from this site) but it could not communicate with the CD-ROM... THe installation was terminated.

I am transferring the Multimedia card and CD-Rom from an old Packard Bell, Pentium 66 Mhz to a Dell 486.. And the Dell runs Windows 3.1.. Talk about geriatric computer help!!

Are you sure that the cd-rom drive can be used on the 486? The minium req. might be a pentium 60 or higher.

You might have better luck if you go to the Packard Bell website and download their drivers for both the sound card and the CD-ROM drive. All you need is the serial number off the back of the PB to find the correct drivers at their site.

Steve
    Navin: "The new phone book's here! The new phone book's here!"

You mention the i/o address of 330. This is a common i/o address for MIDI devices on soundcards. Are you sure this is the address of the CD-ROM controller that you are setting, and not the address for the sound functions of the card? In my experience, most sound cards use i/o ranges around 630 for their CD-ROM controllers. Doubble check the i/o address for the CD-ROM interface, and try your drivers again.

There is a program here on windrivers called CD-ROM God. It has drivers for dozens of CD-ROM's, and controller cards. It also has device.com, so you can load CD-ROM drivers without the need to re-boot. It is a great time saver.

harry

Lightbulb

Rusabus,
    The problem may be with the i/o address.
    I am not sure what it is. This may affect the installation of the CD-Rom driver.

I now have the SOund card/cd-rom controller working, but I can't install the Cd-Rom driver!! Because it can't find the i/o address for the "specified device"..