[RESOLVED] Need CD Rom driver that works w/win 3x - can't upgrade to win 98

Thread: [RESOLVED] Need CD Rom driver that works w/win 3x - can't upgrade to win 98

Hybrid View

Susi

Post Need CD Rom driver that works w/win 3x - can't upgrade to win 98

HELP!! It should be so simple, but I'm pulling my hair out. I inherited a Comtrade Pentium 66MHz that is still loaded with Win 3x. Apparently CD rom driver was never loaded ... I can't upgrade to Win '98 until I can load a driver that will allow the CD rom to be recognized!!
    Any suggestions?

try the generic cdrom driver here (under tech tips)
    "Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do"

hi,fisrt check on the the cdrom itself and find a compagny name and a model numbers,than post again so we can tell you what you need for drivers,some of these old cdrom are not ide,but the drivers can be found easy enough if we know the make and model numbers,cheers Clauded

Hi. "If" you are installing W98 from a "full" version as opposed to the "upgrade" version, you could simply boot from the W98 floppy. If your CD-ROM unit is functional, the generic ATAPI driver on the floppy should find it.

Good luck.

A Win98 boot or startup disk has a few generic cd-rom drivers on it and should work with about 95% of the cd-roms out there. If you do not have a boot disk, find someone with Win98 installed on their computer and they can make you one by going to Settings, Control Panel, Add-Remove programs, Startup disk.

Mustang

if you need a copy of a win98 boot disk let me know and i'll email it to you