Metal Gear Solid 2....(warning, MAJOR spoiler)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Metal Gear Solid 2....(warning, MAJOR spoiler)

Post Metal Gear Solid 2....(warning, MAJOR spoiler)

I've been playing the game non-stop since late last night. While it is an awesome game, and definately made the PS2 worth the purchase, I just can't help but feel empty inside....

BECAUSE...you only get to play as Snake for the first hour or so of the game. He is presumed dead after the USS Discovery sinks, and the game picks up two years later, where his replacement in FoxHOUND, Raiden, is going to the area the ship went down on a mission to stop another terrorist group. Snake is very much alive and well, and even assists you in your mission, but you control Raiden for the rest of the game. Raiden is nowhere near as cool as Snake, and doesn't have that rough edge to him. He's sort of a "pretty boy", and is a rookie to boot.

Like I said, the game rules, but I just can't help but feel a little ripped off. Snake is Metal Gear to me. There is no Metal Gear without Snake. After the first hour, I still thought I was playing an awesome game, but it just didn't seem like the great sequel I was expecting. Seems like a shell of the original Metal Gear Solid to me.

My advice to all who consider getting this one is rent first. I hope Konami comes to their senses, and realizes that people want to be Snake, not some girlish looking Snake wanna-be when it comes time to start on Metal Gear Solid 3.

By any chance is this where you thought of names such as "Cobra" and "venom" from?

Why do I have a feeling that you stayed up all night and took off a day at work to play this game?

Thanks for the warning Venom.....bad thing is it might be cheaper for me to buy it then rent it. (Large amount of late fees at every place in town)
    Faith is the substance of things not known and the Evidence of things not seen.

Heh,.. late fees,... I hear that! I'm just stoked on the Max Payne game that I've been playing. BTW,.. sorry to hear about MGS2 not living up to your expectations Venom. Maybe if you're lucky, they'll make a patch for it or something if enough people complain about it.
    Hello World

[quote]Originally posted by WebHead:
    <strong>Heh,.. late fees,... I hear that! I'm just stoked on the Max Payne game that I've been playing. BTW,.. sorry to hear about MGS2 not living up to your expectations Venom. Maybe if you're lucky, they'll make a patch for it or something if enough people complain about it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Max Payne...w00t! I am still going through it but I am major league stuck on a board. i might have to find a map to get through it. 3 days is way too long!

PS2...hmmm. I been wanting to get a game system but I wont based on any one game. I did that with my 3DO paper weight. Need For Speed was awesome but I had no idea the company was on the way out when I bought the system.

<strong>Heh,.. late fees,... I hear that! I'm just stoked on the Max Payne game that I've been playing. BTW,.. sorry to hear about MGS2 not living up to your expectations Venom. Maybe if you're lucky, they'll make a patch for it or something if enough people complain about it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ah, the joys of console gaming...no chance of a patch. Guess I'll just have to wait for the next sequel and HOPE Snake is back in all his glory.

[quote]Originally posted by Larommi:
    <strong>

Max Payne...w00t! I am still going through it but I am major league stuck on a board. i might have to find a map to get through it. 3 days is way too long!...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Which level are you on (Part, Chapter)? I'm just wondering if I've gotten that far yet. I'll admit, I've had to consult the walkthrough for 2 small parts. One was for the Truck with the wedge in the tire, and I can't remember the other one.
    Hello World

<strong>

Which level are you on (Part, Chapter)? I'm just wondering if I've gotten that far yet. I'll admit, I've had to consult the walkthrough for 2 small parts. One was for the Truck with the wedge in the tire, and I can't remember the other one.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I tell ya that was my only problem in payne. I wanted to figure it out on my own and wasn't going to consult a walkthrough but a friend of mine ended up telling me so I beat it quicker than I thought I would
    The Artisan formerly known as A+Tech.

[quote]Originally posted by Aplustech:
    <strong>

I tell ya that was my only problem in payne. I wanted to figure it out on my own and wasn't going to consult a walkthrough but a friend of mine ended up telling me so I beat it quicker than I thought I would</strong><hr></blockquote>

That one part just bugged the hell out of me. I mean how am I supposed to be able figure that one out. In real life, you can't just shoot through a fence at a wedge in a tire and expect that to work. I would've never figured that one out. I hate using walkthroughs because I'd like to be able be able to figure it out on my own. That's most of the fun. But that part just annoyed the hell out of me. Sheesh!
    Hello World

Unhappy

I almost didn't want to read this because I haven't gotten a chance to get MGS2 yet (I NEED my sleep right now), and was afraid of spoiling it. But this was not what I expected at all, in fact this sucks. Thanks for the warning.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin

<strong>

Which level are you on (Part, Chapter)? I'm just wondering if I've gotten that far yet. I'll admit, I've had to consult the walkthrough for 2 small parts. One was for the Truck with the wedge in the tire, and I can't remember the other one.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Next time I fire it up I will PM you. All I know is I am on a roof shooting cables that hold a tower up then I get blasted from a helicoptor.
    its like part 3 chapter 8 or something.

[quote]Originally posted by Larommi:
    <strong>

Next time I fire it up I will PM you. All I know is I am on a roof shooting cables that hold a tower up then I get blasted from a helicoptor.
    its like part 3 chapter 8 or something.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Remember to use the Grenade Launcher and to take the base of the pillar out with it after you have shot all the cables, then it is end of game
    Darren Wilson is the ....... MONKEY HUNTER..... Coming to a big screen near you soon!!!

[quote]Originally posted by Darren Wilson:
    <strong>

Remember to use the Grenade Launcher and to take the base of the pillar out with it after you have shot all the cables, then it is end of game </strong><hr></blockquote>

OK,.. I take it somebody's been there done that?
    Hello World

Okay, I've decided I definately love the gameplay, but I HATE the story!! If you haven't played any of the Metal Gear games and can't understand my frustation, let me sum it up like this - imagine that the next Terminator movie only features Arnold for about the first 20 minutes, then it focuses on Leonardo DiCaprio as the new Terminator. That's what it's like.

What I would do if I was working on this game (as an aspiring game designer) is allow people the choice of several different agents to play through the story as, giving each of them slightly different abilities and skills. It would also be possible to have the storyline vary depending on which one you were, so if agents are assisting each other on a mission, you could play any of them and carry out different aspects of the mission depending on who you were. "NPC" players might respond differently to one character than another one. With today's technology this would NOT be difficult at all to accomplish, the only thing it would require would be a little more time and effort on game design and production, but the replayability of the game would increase several times over, increasing the likelihood of it being a cult classic.

Plus, the multiplayer possibilities are a lot better. Venom gets to play as Snake, plus one of his buddies gets to play as DiCrappio, and they can work together to accomplish the mission... until Venom gets fed up and snipes his candyass partner from behind halfway through the mission and finishes it himself.
    Flash! Don't heckle the supervillain!