[RESOLVED] I've tried everything

Thread: [RESOLVED] I've tried everything

phoenixzero

Resolved [RESOLVED] I've tried everything

Windows 95 refuses to detect my CD-Rom. It is a Mitsubishi 24x. I have tried drivers from Mitsubishi's site, I've tried generic drivers from Mitsumi, and all the jumpers and cables iside the computer are properly secured in their natural places. Any help would be sincerely appreciated

First, check to make sure the CD-ROM drive is working OK. If possible, try testing the unit on another computer. If you end up with the same problem, the drive may be bad.

If it works, then something in your hardware or hardware settings are probably messed up. Did you check the BIOS to make sure the IDE channel is enabled for the line the CD-ROM drive is on? Do you have the master/slave jumpers set OK on the drives(s)?

phoenixzero

I believe I've found the problem. I'm missing a required file called mscd001.exe but I can't find it anywhere internet and other friends computers. Anyone know where this file could be found?

This drive should be a standard IDE/ATAPI or SCSI - no special drivers needed. You have not given us enough information to help you. Why do you think you need the file "mscd001.exe"? Did this come up as an error message? If so, when? What is the exact message?

Usually, mscd001 is associated with the CD-ROM driver in your CONFIG.SYS. This is the name it is given when the driver loads in. MSCDEX.EXE then needs to be passed the same name for it to connect it to DOS. If the driver in CONFIG.SYS is unable to load in the driver because of a hardware failure (see my previous message), then you will get an error message when MSCDEX tries to load, because it can't find the associated driver in memory.

Let us know further details and perhaps we can help you further...