[RESOLVED] Main Volume labeled E:\?? What gives

Thread: [RESOLVED] Main Volume labeled E:\?? What gives

Spawn_X

Resolved [RESOLVED] Main Volume labeled E:\?? What gives

Anyone ever had this? Its not really a problem but something I've never seen before.

I freshly installed XP for a customer on a PIII 1GHz system on a 20GB Hard Drive. Everything is ok (except for stupid green start button on the blue taskbar) but I noticed that the main volume (only 1 partition) is E:\ instead of C:\. I don't have a C:\ at all. Funny thing though when I boot up from a floppy and run fdisk the volume shows up as C:\ and I'm able to access it through C:\.. but in XP its only E:\.

Its not giving any problems but seems rather odd.

Thanks for the help

Arthur

Why don't you use the Disk Management on the Administrative Tools to assign the correct letter to the main HDD?
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

After the installation of Windows XP, you can use Microsoft's own Disk Management Console, available under "Administrative Tools" menu and, on the partition, e:, in your specific case, right click it, and choose the " Change Drive Letter and Pathes... ".
    Assign c: to your current e: !

That should work !

No that won't work. You can't assign a new drive letter to the main volume. What OS was on this drive before? Try running FDISK. Choose Delete Partition, and the delete the non-DOS partition. It sounds like there may have been a volume set or a simple volume set up on this drive at one time or another that was never removed properly. I had this EXACT same problem, and the only way I was able to fix it was by running FDISK.
    System Specs
    ------------------------------------------------
    Soyo KT333 Dragon Ultra

AMD Athlon XP 2400+

512MB PC2100 DDR RAM,

Visiontek GeForce 4 Ti4400,

TDK 48X24X48 CD/RW

Lite-On 16X DVD-ROM

Lightbulb

Tis is usually caused by installing the os to a drive connected to a add-in card like a ultra dma or a ide raid card while having drives connected to the motherboard. The os figures in drive letter space for the onboard controller and names the drive on the card the next in line. The only fix I have found is to clean install to the drive when it is connected to a standard ide port on the motherboard. Leave the add-in controller installed, so that the os will load the drivers for it. Then when you are done with the install, shut the system down and switch the drive to the controller you want it on.

[quote]Originally posted by GHSTECH:
    <strong>Tis is usually caused by installing the os to a drive connected to a add-in card like a ultra dma or a ide raid card while having drives connected to the motherboard. The os figures in drive letter space for the onboard controller and names the drive on the card the next in line. The only fix I have found is to clean install to the drive when it is connected to a standard ide port on the motherboard. Leave the add-in controller installed, so that the os will load the drivers for it. Then when you are done with the install, shut the system down and switch the drive to the controller you want it on.</strong><hr></blockquote>

This is the procedure I use as well....
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

Spawn_X

There are no controller cards in the system, and it is a clean install (tried it 3 times). You can't change the drive letter of the main volume.. its always C:\.. or supposed to be.

As I mentioned earlier, in DOS with a dos diskette the volume is C:\.. in XP its E:\.

Trying new partition on a new hard drive as we speak... Hope that works.

Thanks

Arthur