XP Blue Screen - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: XP Blue Screen

Dear user,

Are you using the PPPoE driver that came on the Alcatel CD....if so, keep in mind that Win XP natively supports PPPoE.

Just a stab in the dark....
    If life is a mystery, then why all the tragedy???

also, for troubleshooting sake make sure you're not using it through any USB hubs
    this error may occur in one driver, but it may be caused by something else
    I used to get stop errors in my vid driver because of a crappy modem driver
    try to get WHQL certified versions of everything, wherever possible

I've seen this many (at least 5) times on different systems and was able to fix it every single time. It was always a minor incompatibility of the motherboard and the memory modules. Try using different memory modules, diff. maker, diff. speed, diff. sizes, diff. slots, diff. combinations or whatever you can come up with.

Cool

Since you probaby had to buy the DSL Modem, I would contact the Modem Manufacture and RMA it for a replacement. As long as you explain the issue and only want a one for one exchange they should exchange it for you.

If not I have an FastStream DSL modem I can sell you alot cheaper than what they want and it's a RJ45 Modem.
    "He didn't hit ya, He didn't bump ya, He Rub ya, and Rubin Son is Racing" -Days of Thunder

Lightbulb

I don't know if this will help, but I had a USB problem with one of my users' computers earlier this week (caused a system crash, then reboot...then USB didn't work correctly) and this is what I did to fix it.
    I had to pull out my riser card with the PCI slots on it (if you have a riser card...if not you can probably disable your slots in the CMOS), then restart the system in safe mode and remove all USB devices. I then started in normal (still without the PCI slots installed) and re-installed the USB device (in this case a Visor Handspring). This allowed Win2K to redistribute all available resources and give the USB slots priority.
    I then shut the system down and re-installed the PCI riser and now everything works okay.
    I don't know if this will help in your situation, but I didn't want to sit on a potential solution and not share it.

Scott

Good ideas, gonna try some of them this weekend....Thanks

Dreamcast_72 has an interesting point... maybe one of your RAM modules has a problem. There could be a problem in an area of your memory that is only accessed when you're using your file-sharing programs. You do seem to have an odd amount of total RAM. I'm guessing that you have a 128MB, a 64MB, and a 32MB DIMM. Try pulling each one, one at a time, to see which one of the DIMMs might be causing the problem.
    Navin: "The new phone book's here! The new phone book's here!"

No luck with the memory issue, I tried each DIMM by itself and had the error occur with all 3. Guess I will try remove the PCI devices and reinstall everything next.

[quote]Originally posted by ray989898:
    <strong>No luck with the memory issue, I tried each DIMM by itself and had the error occur with all 3. Guess I will try remove the PCI devices and reinstall everything next. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Nother stab in the dark.. Check your bios for IRQ sharing on the USB...
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

My BIOS only has options to enable or disable the USB and to autodetect or disable USB input devices....no luck there either.

I had this problem with XP when I upgraded, all USB devices except 1 quit working and would get same error message. The fix is a new MoBo or if your lucky a updated bios flash from Mobo maker. I was lucky enough to get someone at MS that actually new how to troubleshoot and the reason you get this error message is XP handles the reserved memory address range of the USB differently. What I was told is the mainboard bios dictates the IRQ tables and XP trys to re-assighn those memory address ranges and it ends up having a conflict with the APG controller address ranges. I decided it was time to upgrade and I got XP ready MoBo and my problems disappeared. The same MoBo I could not get to work right went into my wifes computer and 3 weeks later I loaded XP and same problems, but MoBo maker came out with updated bios and I re-flashed bios and it has run flawlessly since. I know, long winded, but this I hope will help you and others out. I spent 2 weeks just about every night online with MS to figure out what was going on.

you have to try totally different (diff. speed, manufacturer, generally better) ask your friends to borrow you some mem. modules to find out what Windows XP likes on your mobo.
    if you reinstall on the same mem. modules, you could be getting error messsages right away, when the files are being copied