XP Blue Screen
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: XP Blue Screen

Exclamation XP Blue Screen

Hi everyone, I really need some help. This problem has been occuring for over a month and no one has been able to help so far. I have tried Microsoft, my DSL service provider and mulptiple support forums; the only replys being those of people having the same problem as myself. I am getting a fatal memory storage dump "blue
    screen" error stating "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" anytime I
    am connected to any file sharing service(Bearshare,
    Winmx,Morpheus), it dumps the memory then reboots XP. It is calling out alcan5wn.sys as the
    file with problem, that is the driver for my Alcatel USB
    DSL Modem. I have upgraded to the latest XP
    drivers and also tried a clean re-install with no luck. Anyone
    have any ideas? The problem ONLY occcurs when connected
    to a file sharing service, not with regular surfing. I
    do not even have to be downloading or uploading a file to
    get the blue screen while using the services, just connected to the servers. It is a random dump, it can be after 5 minutes or 20 minutes or using the service. Has anyone had this problem and fixed it? Any help would be
    appreciated.....Thanks in advance, Ray

Windows has detected an error and your computer is being shut down to prevent damage.
    Error DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.
    If this is the first time you have seen this error reboot and if the error occurs again check any newly installed hardware and software yadda yadda yadda....

stop 0x000000d1 (0xff4af000. 0x00000002)
    alcan5wn.sys - address fa0a2f2d base at fa09c000

well have you tried checking your IRQ's for conflicts?
    may be sharing with another device?
    I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

I have a similar problem with my toshiba pcx1100u. I fixed it by bypasing the USB aspects of the cable modem (it has a usb connection and an rj-45). Works like a charm...
    i love peta...and sars...
    and bin laden....and n. korea....and china...and p2p...spyware...

Yes, I have checked and have no IRQ conflicts. Unfortunatly my modem is USB only so I do not have a ethernet option. Any other ideas?

Did this modem come with an XP driver or are you trying to use a Win2000 driver? And, is your USB integrated into the motherboard or an add-on card? I had a motherboard last summer that gave me the exact error everytime I tried to connect a USB Linksys Router. I disabled the on-board and bought an add-on USB card with a different chipset which solved my problem.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

I just got the EXACT same error msg on my screen. This may not be what is causing your problems but here goes. I had the multiplier set wrong in my BIOS. I was messing around undoing my multiplier lock on my XP1600+ and when I rebooted, I didn't update the multiplier in the BIOS and *boom* there was that msg. I read it here just before so I thought I might come back and give you an update.
    Note: To correct display problems, hold the "ALT"key and press"F4".

You said no irq conflict, how about sharing? USB irqs quite often share with something else and the result is disaster because usb doesnt share well at all.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

In your situation, I'd call my ISP and look for a non USB solution either way. Does your mdm support ethernet? if so, pick up a pci nic card and you'll have more stability. Chances are you are using 2 devices that require busmastering on the same IRQ on your tombstone screen it should tell you what device is using what resources, start your search there
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Angry

The driver I am using was supplied by my DSL provider and is their latest XP driver. They have a seperate driver listed for 2000. I have USB on the motherboard and a PCI add-on card as well, I have tried in each with no change in symptoms.

I have looked through my settings and cannot find what IRQ the modem is sharing or any way to adjust it, from what I can see in dev mgr my USB card is on IRQ 5 and nothing else on the list is sharing that IRQ.

I checked with my ISP and they gave me a ethernet solution, purchase a new modem for $180. They were not very helpful.

update your BIOS. fixed this same issue for me.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

[quote]Originally posted by tha 4NiK8R:
    <strong>update your BIOS. fixed this same issue for me.</strong><hr></blockquote>

that would be if you have the same MOBO.
    btw what is your MOBO?
    I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

I am running a IBM p3 board and have updated it to the latest bios.

I disabled my serial ports and printer port to free up IRQ's and that did not fix the problem. I also changed IRQ's on my sound and video cards with no luck either. Is there any way to know what irq the USB is using? The IBM bios does not say, it only has a option to enable or disable, also the USB section under "device manager" does not show a resources tab that shows that info like it does for other devices. Any other ideas out there? I am stuck.

If this helps:

IBM P3 board(6862 to be exact)
    650 mgh P3
    224 Mb ram
    Voodoo 3 2000
    Soundblaster Live 5.1
    USB expansion card
    CD-RW

if your ISP wants to charge you $180 to change your modem I'd tell them to take a flying leap! that's unheard of! Do you buy the modem or rent it with your connection fees? Either way that would've been enought to make switch to someone else.

try taking out the extra USB pci card. maybe that's the proble,
    Today, a haiku:

Google, you f**ktard
    my fingers are so weary
    of repeating crap